The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:44:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Ham Radio Last Forever? An Interesting Opinion - What do you think?  (Read 33328 times)
John Holotko

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006, 01:21:30 PM »

Just a thought... Perhaps we need to bring more females into the hobby ?? Maybe that  will encourage more males to join  up with the expectation of meeting the "girl of their dreams"over the radio ?? Maybe the patriarchal structure of ham radiop has outlived it's usefulness. Perhaps  ham radio will  have a brighter future as a coed hobby ?? Any thoughts ??

John,
This issue did come to my attention about 3 or 4 years ago when I became
involved in "mentoring" and talking to "newcomers".
I found that many,(including a 20 wpm extra) did not seem to have an
understanding of "basic electronics", and seemed not to really care about
learning.

Started asking myself,--"what is going on here"?
I began to question the exam system,--and the more I "looked",--the more
the exams questions,(and methods) seemed to be at fault.

Prior to this experience(as I was real busy with work es family)--I just was not totally aware
of just  how bad the exam system had been compromised.

Another thing that happened  about this same time,--was a friend of mine mentioned that he was involved in administering exams for a few years under the VEC system ,and told me "it was a joke", and a "waste of time",--and I asked "why is that"?

He said that at any given exam session,--a person was allowed to "retake" the exam
as long as he just kept paying the exam fee, until he passed.--thus it was a "joke"
in his opinion and felt he could no longer "play the game".

Another experience,--was when I was working on a homebrew AM modulator,
a 20 wpm extra,--asked me "whats that"?-- I said an AM modulator,--he then said
what is AM?
I then really was "appalled"--a 20 wpm extra did not know what AM was.
Again,--I do not blame him,--but do fault the exam system for not at least covering
some AM basics somewhere along the "exam chain".

As far as getting female`s interested,--there is another problem in my opinion.

I had just finished doing the AM,(HLR) mods on my FT-101 and happened to be
"tuning around" on 75 AM one day, and I was showing my youngest daugther
the "beauty" of AM, and would you not know it,-- some guy was on, "GDing this and
 GD that"-- and she says, "dad what is that",--I basically had to apoligize and
tell her that this type of behavior was/is not "right".--and after that my attitude
toward getting her interested in HR went down the tube.
If I did,--I would probably restrict her to cw, and forget the phone bands.

73, K1MVP

P.S ,some would say, I am being "overprotective",--have heard that before.   

Yep, you raise some excellent points and I largely agree with what you have said. And no, you are not being overly protective. A number of years ago I had a girlk friend visiting. She was a pretty tough, hardened New York City girl who has seen and heard it all, not the type  who is easilly shocked or offended by anything  and yet  she was quite amazed and perplexed  and turned off by some SSB activity she heard on my ham receiver.  She eve asked, "does  this go on all the time  on the radio ??  Are most hams this silly and pathetic  ?",  Fortunately I was  nearby and I had explained to her that occasionally some guys get a bit silly and carried away with themselves  but such behavior is sproadic and certainly not a viable representation of what ham radio is all about.  She understood but it did lead me to the realization that first impressions can often go a very long way in determining the kind of inpression about something that one will gather and carry with them for years and years to come,.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Ed Nesselroad
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006, 02:20:45 PM »

I think the question about bringing more females into the hobby remains on the table, unanswered.  We've all heard inappropriate language on the bands...no less appropriate for female ears than anyone else's.  There's more to it than that.

We feel it's important to bring young people into the hobby.  How do we feel about bolstering our numbers with women?  How do they rank vis a vis slow-code or no-code extras?  Women often seem to be more of an excuse to end a dull QSO -- "XYL's calling" -- than people we actively want to include in the hobby.  A lot of hams are in the hobby because it separates them from the XYL.

My own sense is that ham radio is cirling the drain...maybe that's just evolutionary.  We're reluctant to embrace people and ideas that differ from our own.  Or, once we accept them, we're anxious to help them become like us.  The hobby persists largely because of a dedicated group of hams, few of whom will be around to have this conversation in 25-30 years.  Natural selection...unless we can diversify the age class and gene pool...or find the fountain of youth!  IMHO.   
K1MVP
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2006, 03:04:40 PM »

I think the question about bringing more females into the hobby remains on the table, unanswered.  We've all heard inappropriate language on the bands...no less appropriate for female ears than anyone else's.  There's more to it than that.

We feel it's important to bring young people into the hobby.  How do we feel about bolstering our numbers with women?  How do they rank vis a vis slow-code or no-code extras?  Women often seem to be more of an excuse to end a dull QSO -- "XYL's calling" -- than people we actively want to include in the hobby.  A lot of hams are in the hobby because it separates them from the XYL.

My own sense is that ham radio is cirling the drain...maybe that's just evolutionary.  We're reluctant to embrace people and ideas that differ from our own.  Or, once we accept them, we're anxious to help them become like us.  The hobby persists largely because of a dedicated group of hams, few of whom will be around to have this conversation in 25-30 years.  Natural selection...unless we can diversify the age class and gene pool...or find the fountain of youth!  IMHO.   

I do not agree that ham radio is such that it "excludes" YL`s or XYL`s ,--
With today`s "requirements" being much lower than they were back 30 or 40 yrs ago.

If you look at many of the "old" QST`s of years ago,--there was a YL column and
there were in fact YL`s,--even back in the 30`s and these gals were licensed hams,
long before the "watered down" requirements.

So I don`t buy the "gender discrimination" card.
Difference was--IMO, was that people in general back then, were not afraid to put
a bit of effort(including YL`s) to achieve a goal,--and that included getting a ham ticket
My contention,--is that we will NOT attract young people with any amount of
enthusiasm and intelligence with some of the "crude" behavior out there on some
of the bands.

Then again,--this crude behavior may be a sign of the times",-- as I witnessed  in parts of the military,-- with some YL`s, especially in certain career fields such as "aircraft crew-chief"
and a few others, that were traditionally male career fields in the past.

I also noticed, that females in other career fields such as avionics, or personnel, seemed
to be much better "behaved"--these were fields that required more "intelligence"
and "common sense", IMO

The net of it, is --I do not believe we will be able to attract quality ,males or females to HR if we do not "raise the bar", instead of "lowering" it.

73, K1MVP         
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2006, 03:32:41 PM »

My contention,--is that we will NOT attract young people with any amount of
enthusiasm and intelligence with some of the "crude" behavior out there on some
of the bands.

Then again,--this crude behavior may be a sign of the times",-- as I witnessed  in parts of the military,-- with some YL`s, especially in certain career fields such as "aircraft crew-chief"
and a few others, that were traditionally male career fields in the past.

We most certainly are NOT going to attract ANYONE to the hobby with content-free "Hi Hi Fine Business and 73" QSOs.

So-called "crude" or "embarrassing"  behavior is relative.  If someone is "disgusted" by what they hear in a typical QSO on the ham bands, we certainly don't need or want them in the hobby.  All they're gonna do is gripe, and try to devolve everyone into those wretchedly boring QSOs. 

Conversely, if it sounds like a crew of peeps are having fun, I submit that is MORE attractive to newcomers.  Ham radio is SUPPOSED to be fun, isn't it?!?  Why not SOUND like you're having fun on the air?

The last time I demonstrated ham radio for a non-ham I had the misfortune of talking to some knucklehead who interspersed "hi" in between each sentence, and used "we" when referring to himself.   It was incredibly embarrassing having to explain that particular mental deficiency to my visitor.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2006, 03:57:57 PM »

The last time I demonstrated ham radio for a non-ham I had the misfortune of talking to some knucklehead who interspersed "hi" in between each sentence, and used "we" when referring to himself.   It was incredibly embarrassing having to explain that particular mental deficiency to my visitor.
73 John

Hi Hi Hi Hi, OM!   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

We were laughing so hard that we forgot to slam the XYL today so we can have some more harmonics and ham tickets - hi hi.  BTW, the WX and XYL are both FB hr.  We gotta go to the salt mine now. 73's's's's... and 88's's's to your XYL too... [you don't mind me 88ing your XYL, do ya?]

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2006, 04:44:22 PM »

I see we're back to the Jiggly Jugs avatar.  K1JJ = K1 Jiggly Jugs  Cheesy

My wife has expressed interest in ham radio.  The only thing stopping her from doing it is studying the theory. She being an artsy type she can't grasp the technical side.  She loves the social side of HR.  I'll keep working on her though. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2006, 06:46:09 PM »

Bob wins the prize for jj..............

W1UJR
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2006, 06:51:29 PM »

there were in fact YL`s,--even back in the 30`s and these gals were licensed hams,

There are several issues in play here:

1) Gender interest, or lack thereof in the hobby

2) Young people getting into the hobby

3) Retention of existing hams

I think that JN has a point, the overuse; perhaps I should say abuse of CW prosigns is a bit embarrassing. I understand it, often do it myself, its kind of an insider thing, like a secret handshake, using QTH for home, WX for weather, and QTF for…well QTF. But it does sound weird and geeky to the outsiders. And I do agree that “hi” only has a place in CW, just laugh if you want to laugh!

As to your points about YL involvement Rene, you're right.
I am forever reading older QSTs and there certainly seems to be a much higher level of interest and acceptance by the female gender. YL columns in QST, YL nets, really quite different than today.

On the other hand, it used to be "cool" to be a ham radio operator; there was a mystique about the amateur service (notice I use “service”, not hobby) back then. After all there was no Internet, VCRS, DVDs, computers, television and even broadcast radio was new fangled. Hams were seen a good thing, a brave adventurer sailing forth to serve mankind, even as clever, almost magical folks who created strange and unusual gadgets in the basement to talk with the world. Certainly we were not seen as the awkward, socially inept, conversationally challenged, pocket protector wearing nerds that we are stereotyped as today.

Take a look at the typical hamfest photo from the 1920s-1930s, it looks for all the world like a formal gathering of gentlemen at some elite private club…which indeed it was.

Radio was much more seen as a “service”, relating daily messages and news of disasters, not the social distraction it is today.

Of course the America of the 1920s-1950s was a much more kindler, gentler nation. The mother stayed home with the children, father came home to dinner on the table, Sunday church, and everyone looked out for everyone else. Folks liked simpler lives and had more quality time for hobbies like radio. Just a tad bit different from today’s world where both parents work, the kids are home alone entertained by MTV and the Internet. Now many are mortgaged to the hilt, working 24/7 to pay the bills and credit cards. Any wonder why the interest and civil nature of the hobby has declined.

The changes in ham radio, I’ll avoid using the word decline, are echoed across the board at all “fraternal” organizations like the “Eagles”, “Moose”, even Rotary International. It seems to be me that our society is focused on “bigger and better” rather than on quality of life. That may change with the next generation; one thing that I have noted about change, is that the pendulum always swings far too each side before settling in the middle.

Perhaps future generations will be more focused on family and home and less on the material things. Then ham radio will represent a rich alternative to be explored.

For me, I am very glad and blessed to have what radio offers me today.
Great frienships, advetnrue, challanging learning, and fun in both restoration and opearing.
Amateur radio is a rich, delightful and wonderful service, and I am not embrassed for one minute to admit that I am a ham.

73 Bruce
K1MVP
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2006, 10:47:50 PM »

I think that JN has a point, the overuse; perhaps I should say abuse of CW prosigns is a bit embarrassing. I understand it, often do it myself, its kind of an insider thing, like a secret handshake, using QTH for home, WX for weather, and QTF for…well QTF. But it does sound weird and geeky to the outsiders. And I do agree that “hi” only has a place in CW, just laugh if you want to laugh!

Take a look at the typical hamfest photo from the 1920s-1930s, it looks for all the world like a formal gathering of gentlemen at some elite private club…which indeed it was.

73 Bruce

Good to hear from you Bruce,

As far as CW "prosigns",--I would guess it depends on how you view ham radio.
Many, if not most of us "old buzzards", entered the ham ranks via the old novice ticket
which coveyed mostly CW privileges,(not rights) and we really did experience the
"magic" of HR on the novice CW bands.

We,--or many of us did not view the novice ticket as "inferior", and were actually
very thankful to acquire the "beginner`s" ticket and had a "blast" working lots of
ther CW stations.--Not all of us viewed CW as a "burden", or "hardship".
The net result many of these "pronouns" were picked up and became "habit",
and yes,--it also conveyed a "fraternity", and "pride".

The same was/is true IMO, when an individual joins the military,--one joins, goes
to "basic training", or boot camp, and then spends a "stint" overseas and/or stateside
and becomes part of a "fraternity".
After one gets discharged,--one still share`s a "commonality" that can be shared
with almost anyone who has been in the service, even though that person may
have never served with that particular person.--It continues to be a "fraterity" even
after "retirement".--One can swap "war stories" with another and understand
lots of "military acronymms", and "pronouns" so to speak.

Serving in the military also conveyed a sense of "healthy pride", in accomplishments,
like completing basic training, or a "tech" school, etc.
Now most people I know,--do not consider the service "elitest",--maybe certain
"special forces",--or "green berets", but in general the regular service is a "fraternity".
Nothing wrong with that,IMO.
So that is how I view the HR community,--there is "diversity" whithin it,--some of us
like AM, some of us still enjoy CW,some SSB(ye gads) and I see nothing wrong with that.

73, Rene, K1MVP

P.S,--Some of the guys I served with still get together and share experiences, now
       that we are "retired".--We don`t consider ourselves an "elitest" club.

P.P.S,  CW to many of us OT`s WAS ham radio, as it was our first experience and
          we grew to "love" cw.--I sure learned a lot building homebrew cw gear
          both solid state, and tube stuff.

W1UJR
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2006, 11:56:25 PM »

Serving in the military also conveyed a sense of "healthy pride", in accomplishments,
like completing basic training, or a "tech" school, etc.
Now most people I know,--do not consider the service "elitest",--maybe certain
"special forces",--or "green berets", but in general the regular service is a "fraternity".
Nothing wrong with that,IMO.
So that is how I view the HR community,--there is "diversity" whithin it,--some of us
like AM, some of us still enjoy CW,some SSB(ye gads) and I see nothing wrong with that.

73, Rene, K1MVP

P.S,--Some of the guys I served with still get together and share experiences, now
       that we are "retired".--We don`t consider ourselves an "elitest" club.

P.P.S,  CW to many of us OT`s WAS ham radio, as it was our first experience and
          we grew to "love" cw.--I sure learned a lot building homebrew cw gear
          both solid state, and tube stuff.

My use of the word “elite” as in “elite private club” was actually intended entirely in the positive, so hope you didn’t take offense. Frankly I think the concept of “elitism” or “de spirit de corp.” or whatever you may call it is a wonderful and healthy mindset to have. You expressed it with ex-military folks, same thing. As for CW, its the heart and soul of the amateur service, no arguement here.

In fact one of the main points of my posting is that is this very mind set which I feel the hobby lacks now. We tend to treat radio as a hobby, rather than as a “service”. Its difficult to justify the large and very valuable spectrum we have been granted – think about it, what other group has exclusive use of such a tremendously valuable public resource – unless we provide a service for the public good.

I know you’ll appreciate this, check out the latest old buzzard addition to the hamshack http://www.brucehowes.com/national_sw-5.htm
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 04:42:55 AM »

It seems to be me that our society is focused on “bigger and better” rather than on quality of life.

“bigger and better”  = Straaaaap

Bob
W1RKW
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
KD2NX
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2006, 12:26:08 PM »

I guess I'll put in my two-cents worth...

CW-lingo is no different than this on-line anacronysm crap such as IMO, BTW, LOL, ROFLMAO, etc. Yes, I see it right here on this board, too. The present-generation of kids and adults do not see anything wrong with that, it's just the current trend of today's internet society. If people today think our old ham radio anacronyms and prosigns are 'geeky', they should be gently reminded of what they are doing. But since it is accepted and trendy in today's generation, it would not register anyway, at least IMO... Isn't that annoying? Cheesy

One aspect of the hobby that is following a societal trend that I can't stand is being lewd, crude and obnoxious... and being GLORIFIED for it! Why don't we try and behave like ladies and gentlemen for a change instead of acting like complete alpha-hotels??? Yes, it is a turn-off to outsiders when they hear this garbage being spewed over the ether. We are a minority already, epecially being AMers. Why not put more effort into conducting ourselves properly? I have my own example to share regarding this...

My kids were very small at the time, and a particular New England ham with the usual Big Signal and Broadcast Audio answered my CQ. I purposely made mention to him in the beginning of the QSO that my children were in the shack with me, marveling at all the radio equipment. Well, the hint went unheeded and he carried on like he always does, with all the usual bodily function noises and unacceptable remarks. That really angered me, since I specifically told him my children were present. That kind of nonsense does NOT belong in our hobby. It comes down to nothing but pushing the limits to see what you can get away with. If you want to be a shock-jockstrap, do it somewhere else, not in our hobby. People are being paid big money out there to act like idiots and low-lifes in the entertainment industry, so go make some real money if you feel like you need an audience. Angry

Okay, I'll step down off my soap box now...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2006, 12:37:02 PM »

Every now and then we see a hot woman walking around Hostraders. Ever wonder what she is thinking on Saturday morning after most of us have spent the night in the car sleeping off a party.
Maybe we need to improve our image.....3 months to get the tux to the cleaners..
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2006, 01:48:13 PM »

It's not a question of using CW or ham lingo or not.  It's a question of mental sanity - ie, what kind of person talks like this, and what kind of image does this project:

"Name here's Fred, hi.  Our QTH is Bedrock, hi.  We're running Apache #7 with D-104#3, hi.  We eat only lime Jello here because our wife just died of a horrible painful disease, hi.  We just got done washing out our cat's boil, hi..."

All well and good to say 73, QTH, etc on phone.  But saying "HI" to laugh and using the royal "we"...?  C'mon.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1MVP
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2006, 02:54:47 PM »

It's not a question of using CW or ham lingo or not.  It's a question of mental sanity

All well and good to say 73, QTH, etc on phone.  But saying "HI" to laugh and using the royal "we"...?  C'mon.

73 John

Hi John,
Cw "lingo" did in fact serve a "real purpose" at one time,--to abbreviate words in a
cw qso,(contact) for a good reason, along with "Q" codes, as I am sure you must
know.

I know many are even "offended" if a guy uses "phonetics", even though there are
perfectly " legitimate" reasons to use them at times, especially when band conditions
are poor, and the guy on the other end is having trouble copying.

As far as "C`mon", or "caw`man",--or "10-4 good buddy",--seems to me like this
comes directly from the old 11 meter band, and what "good purpose" did it
serve? --other than "infest" the ham bands with "CB jargon" in my opinion.

Maybe its no wonder some people can`t tell the difference between CB and
ham radio, amongst many other reasons.

73, K1MVP

P.S, the term,"handle" originally came from hams,--NOT from CB,--it was the CB`ers
       that picked up the term from hams, especially during the "CB fad" of the 70`s,
       when truckers started using the term,--"handle".
       I know many are surprised when you tell them that.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2006, 03:34:50 PM »

Yeh, plenty of us use "caw mawn" etc in a humorous manner.  Too bad there are some that don't get the joke.  Of course the 'ultimate' ham radio insult is to say someone sounds like a CBer  Roll Eyes

Nothing wrong with using ham radio jargon - hell, the AM community has its own subset - but saying "hi" instead of just laughing?  Caw mawnnnn.... Grin

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2006, 05:58:21 PM »

"All well and good to say 73, QTH, etc on phone.  But saying "HI" to laugh and using the royal "we"...?  C'mon. "

Its O.K. when one has critters.....      klc

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2006, 06:23:23 PM »

I know many are even "offended" if a guy uses "phonetics", even though there are
perfectly " legitimate" reasons to use them at times, especially when band conditions
are poor, and the guy on the other end is having trouble copying.

Use of phonetics even under ideal conditions is warranted.  You can still have poor pronunciation.   Did he say W3JN or W3AN, or was it W3JAN ??   Did he say K1MVP or K1MVB ??  Just use phonetics.   I use phonetics 100% of the time when calling CQ or answering one;  I guess if the other op is "offended", then he doesn't have to talk to me.   

My previous call sign (n1eba) warranted the use of phonetics.  When I would give just the letters the person coming back would either say n1epa or n1eda.  No matter how hard I tried to create a distinction between the E and B it would get butchered.  So I used phonetics then. I  had a couple of phonetics I used besides the basic ones.  I had N1 Extremely Big Appendage, or N1Extremely Big Antenna.  Neither were true.   Now I don't have the problem and don't need phonetics to often with the current callsign. 

Bob
W1RKW
K1MVP
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2006, 06:36:23 PM »

"All well and good to say 73, QTH, etc on phone.  But saying "HI" to laugh and using the royal "we"...?  C'mon. "

Its O.K. when one has critters.....      klc

I guess I don`t understand,--why is it ok to say 73, or QTH, which is a "derivative"
of cw and the "old days", but its not ok to "laugh" by saying "hi, hi".

Or --its also ok to use  "C`mon" from the CB fraternity.
I really don`t care what a guy uses for acronyms, or abbreviations as long as
the QSO is "civil",--but then,--the definition of "civil', is up for "interpretation"
in today`s world of ham radio.

Guess,--I just may head back to the cw bands, where its still ok to use these
"acronyms"
                                        73, K1MVP

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2006, 07:26:03 PM »

Rene, why say "hi hi" when just a laugh will do?  It certainly has its place on CW where it's generally used as an emoticon, but if you're saying "hi hi" without laughing, you're really saying that it isn't in fact funny at all.  Whatever floats yer boat, man, but what started this threadbuster was my embarassment at a visitor who was incredulous at someone saying "hi" and "we" on the air....

BTW I've actually heard Irb laugh on the air  Grin

73 John

K1MVP
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2006, 08:08:58 PM »

Rene, why say "hi hi" when just a laugh will do?  It certainly has its place on CW where it's generally used as an emoticon, but if you're saying "hi hi" without laughing, you're really saying that it isn't in fact funny at all.  Whatever floats yer boat, man, but what started this threadbuster was my embarassment at a visitor who was incredulous at someone saying "hi" and "we" on the air....

BTW I've actually heard Irb laugh on the air  Grin

73 John

Ok John,
I understand what you are saying,--and I personally do not say "hi hi" on the air, BUT
my point is/was that  there are other things that bother me a lot more than some guy
saying "hi  hi" or "we", such as some of the "crude" or "obnoxious" behavior,
 i.e.,"GD" this and "GD" that.

I can relate to your situation as far as being "embarrased" with a visitor in the shack,
when this occurred,-- BUT I also had a visitor in my shack when a guy was "GDing"
this and that on AM, and guess what,--my "visitor" was my young daughter.

I really would NOT have had a problem with the guy saying "hi, hi" or "we" when she
was listening, but the profanity DID bug me.
So much for demonsrating ham radio,--and getting her interested.

As I mentioned before in one of my previous posts,--if  she did get a ticket,--I would
require her to learn CW and restrict her to the CW bands.--with a k1 cw tranceiver.
SO thats my "take" on this issue.

73, Rene     
W1UJR
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2006, 09:31:20 PM »

Perhaps in these trying times it best to recall the "Radio Amateur's Code", akin to the "Gold Rule" for radio relations:

The Radio Amateur is

CONSIDERATE...never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.

LOYAL...offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, and the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio in the United States is represented nationally and internationally.

PROGRESSIVE...with knowledge abreast of science, a well-built and efficient station and operation above reproach.

FRIENDLY...slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit.

BALANCED...radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.

PATRIOTIC...station and skill always ready for service to country and community.

--The original Amateur's Code was written by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA, in 1928.

* threehams.jpg (52.81 KB, 550x385 - viewed 491 times.)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2006, 09:56:33 PM »

Nothing wrong with using ham radio jargon - hell, the AM community has its own subset - but saying "hi" instead of just laughing?  Caw mawnnnn...

Even worse, more than once I have  heard phone ops use it and pronounce it "aitch-eye."

I don't have a problem with hams using CB lingo that is obviously intended as a joke.

Unfortunately, too many hams who use CD lingo are not using it as a joke.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2006, 10:00:34 PM »

Yes but if you look at this one,
LOYAL...offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, and the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio in the United States is represented nationally and internationally.
you will see that it has been corrupted to:
The Amateur is Loyal....He owes his amateur radio to the American Radio Relay League, and he offers it his unreserved loyalty."

Never!!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K1MVP
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2006, 11:43:44 PM »

Perhaps in these trying times it best to recall the "Radio Amateur's Code", akin to the "Gold Rule" for radio relations:

The Radio Amateur is

CONSIDERATE...never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.

PROGRESSIVE...with knowledge abreast of science, a well-built and efficient station and operation above reproach.

FRIENDLY...slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit.

BALANCED...radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.

PATRIOTIC...station and skill always ready for service to country and community.

--The original Amateur's Code was written by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA, in 1928.

Ok Bruce,

Those "golden rules" were written in 1928, back in the days when society still had some "sense of decency", and "perversion" was not the "order of the day" as it is nowadays in many places in society.--totally different world in 2006, and many call it "progress".

Lets run through them real quick,

#1 CONSIDERATE--look at the top end of 75, especially in the evening and see how
     many are "considerate" of others.
#2 LOYAL-- another problem in 2006,--does the ARRL really deserve "loyalty" when
      it does "its own thing" and does not seem to care about its members?
      How many are loyal to their employer`s  nowadays,--but then do companies
      (especially the big ones) care about their employees?
      What "goes around comes around".IMO

#3   PROGRESSIVE-- again, how many keep abreast of what is going on in HR
       technically, or events that can/ or do effect amateur radio?
       Seems to me there is a lot of "ignorance" and/or "apathy", IMO in 2006.
       I know many that do not even know about the present proposals that can/or
       will effect ham radio in the near future,-- lots of indifference and apathy,IMO.

#4   FRIENDLY-- most hams are, BUT there again,--there are still some who are not
       very "welcoming",-- Look at all the "infighting" there is today, that did not exist
       back in the 30`s, 40`s and 50`s.

#5   BALANCED--there again,--many do have problems "balancing" HR with outside
       responsibilities, probably the cause of many "ex`s".

#6   PATRIOTIC--many like to think they are "patriotic", until it comes time to "pay the
       price",-- like service to their country.

The picture may look "bleak", but one would have to have their "head in the sand"
        not to see the reality that exists nowadays,--again, my opinion.

73, Rene,(MVP)

P.S/, and some still claim "this is your father`s ham radio" , like the ARRL?
               A bit of "denial" maybe, or "rose colored glasses"? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015