The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:43:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Ham Radio Last Forever? An Interesting Opinion - What do you think?  (Read 33688 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: January 21, 2006, 09:29:31 PM »

I had an interesting QSO tonight with Bob/W2ZM.  After a coupla hours chatting about general stuff, I stated my opinion that in 30-40 years we would hear dead silence on the bands due to the dying out of us buzzards, lack of interest and no newcomers to fill the ranks. The last CQ would go out with no answer.

Bob came back and disagreed, saying that ham radio will be here far into the future, packed with hams and activity. He said that the ranks will be filled in the future by new guys entering in their thirties and forties who now have time for leisure and toys.  He mentioned that younger people are too involved in their lives of earning money and raising families to bother with radio. But it will become a great outlet for later in life.

I thought that made a lot of sense and it swayed my old opinion. I'm usually an optimist but ham radio's future had been an exception.

What really hit home was when two guys broke into the QSO. One was in his middle thirties and the other was about 45 years old. One said that 90% of the hams he talks to on the air are in their 30's to 40's. The other guy agreed!!!  I was really surprised to hear that. Though, maybe it's just that they are attracted to this age group, being one of them, and seek them out.  Both agreed with Bob - that they were hams when young, dropped out for college / familiy raising and now have come back with money and time  - and love it!   But, what if they were never introduced to ham radio when young... would they "come back" then?  One also said that their generation introduced the new digital modes, PSK-31? and a few others I didn't even recognize... Grin  With more exciting stuff to come and attract new people.

Today, the internet grabs the young kids.  I feel that from the 1920's to the 1960's,  maybe the big trend for kids being in the hobby was a one time event, never to be repeated, simply because of no internet and cell phones. Ham radio was all they had for communications adventure back then.

So, the consensus was that ham radio will live on forever, just that it will become a hobby that attracts an older crowd after the family is raised, etc..

What do YOU think??

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 12:51:31 AM »

Well if W2ZM said it then I believe it, Bob is usually correct on most things relating to RF.

My own take is a bit different. I have been a SWL since I was a young JN, about 12, but was first licensed when I became 30 years of age. I quite quickly grew bored of plastic radios, and after setting up an automated digital amateur satellite station the "wow" factor went away and I turned to the vintage gear. It helped to have a great Elmer who was a vintage enthusist. Actually, may be that is the key here, a good Elmer, will address that later.

For three years after I moved to Maine I was a co-instructor for folks interested in getting their Tech and General class license. Most of my students, not all, but a good many are more active on 2 meter CB than on HF. A number simply never upgraded because of the CW requirement, others just wanted a local “intercom”. A shocking number confessed to just learning the answers rather than bothering to get excited about and understand the theory behind radio. Those that stuck with 2 meters by and large do not understand what I term as the magic of radio, and have been the quickest to leave the hobby.

I am an also the Portland VE Liaison for the ARRL and hold bi-monthly license exams with a team of fellow amateurs.
I have been a VE since 1995 and have seen a steady decline in the number of candidates, and sadly, the number seeking higher license classes.

So perhaps the answer is how we define “ham radio”. If we define by any operation, not just HF, or HF only, then there will still be folks interested in the hobby. But I will say that in my experience the average new “Joe Ham” has shown little interest in theory or learning to build.

This may explain what I sense to be a decline in the standards, knowledge and operating practices of many on air today, especially newly minted SSB ops.
The polite and civil operating best practices, asking if a freq is in use, QSYing when needed, seem to be replaced with the radio equivalent of “road rage”.
I always enjoy hearing and working elder hams, they tend to have the well developed on-air behaviors and I learn a great deal from those folks.

Earlier I mentioned the necessary of having a good Elmer. Lately I have been encouraged by those in the AM Community welcomed SSB ops who have discovered the “AM button” on their riceboxes. Thats a solid first step toward understanding radio's magic.

The “Magic of Radio” is not something that can be bought, it must be learned.
I recall my wonderment as a teenager hanging a piece of wire out the window, and listening to all of these far away places on my DX-160.
Today, the new amateur is sadly often “sold” radio as two-way intercom with their buddies. CW, naw that's old fashioned, use FM instead.
It seemed to me that we have dumbed the hobby down to the lowest common denominator. Obtaining a license is now almost a right, not a privilege.
And we wonder why people drop out of the hobby? The answer is simple, we sold them defective goods, instead of teaching them the magic, and we sold them a free cell phone. The time-honored concepts of elmering, and home brewing are looked upon as archaic, even backward.

If amateur radio is to be saved, it won’t be the ARRL which does so.
Instead I believe it will be the job of you and me to share the “magic of radio” .

Personally, I'm much more a "quality" than "numbers" person and would rather see a smaller number of amateurs, who are skilled and really love the hobby, than a large influx of folks who jumped the fence because the League felt it necessary to lower the standards.

-Bruce W1UJR
Jeff OGM
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 07:18:55 AM »

I think Bruce has certainly described how things have changed.  Whether the hobby as we know it can survive into the future is looking doubtful to me, too.

It's easy to make a case for either eventuality, however.  Of course, predicting the future is... well, we here in New England always curse the weathermen, despite the scientific basis of their predictions.

It might be more realistic to pose the question, "What are hams doing to shape the future of ham radio?"

The "hobby as we know it" is actively promoted here on this website.  We have a niche within ham radio which represents a relatively small number.  And yet, we do have an impact and we do have an influence upon the issues that concern us.  Despite our small numbers, we are doing something to shape the future of ham radio, just by continuing to keep this website active.

The future of ham radio, though, isn't on this website.  It's in the heart of some kid that you haven't come in contact with yet.  It's in the curiosity concerning those antennas in your back yard that a youngster in your neighborhood has yet to build up the courage to ask you about.  The future resides in the unshaped ideas that one kid in 500 has yet to be affected by your going into the local school and volunteering to do a demonstration of ham radio.

We know what percentage of the population is interested enough to get a license.  It's two tenths of one percent.  It means that you have to expose a thousand kids to ham radio in order to get the two that will find it "right up their alley".

Will ham radio last forever?  It's up to you and me.

Jeff
KA1OGM
Art
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 09:26:55 AM »

Hi guys,
Last summer I had the opportunity to lead a ham radio camp for middle school kids. They were interested, enjoyed radio, enjoyed building a kit, and went home with a radio and a built kit. That's the future and I am optimistic . . .

Art
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 09:32:14 AM »

Yes, it will still be around, vibrant and active.

It will probably be accepted, by then, that the growth curve need not be more than barely above flat. Right now there's a camp who believe that's not healthy, but they fail to recognize the throwaway communications society we live in.

Down below, AB3L said There is always going to be the technology interested student out there who just might trigger some interest in radio. You just have to spark the right energy for them.

This is where we can hope to draw young people, but we as a hobby should not spend too much of our effort recruiting from there. It makes far more sense to target the older demographics where people have the time and disposeable income, combined with a historical appreciation of radio, to draw them into the vintage aspect of the hobby.

You think the group in Newington would realign its recruitment along those lines? No way.  That's why it will be an individual effort, plus group efforts like this web page, to introduce and draw from existing hams who have grown tired of plastic radios and having everything pre-determined from a menu.

Our best bet is to get people re-connected with the function of playing radio, and that's why the vintage part is one aspect that holds allure.

KL7OF

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 10:06:04 AM »

Ham Radio has a future and it will be different from the way things are now....However, We must remember the vintage modes ,operators, and gear that got radio started and work to preserve them...We can't let the foundations of Ham Radio be eliminated just to say we are making room for the future....
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 10:09:26 AM »

RIGHT ON!
WA5VGO

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 10:21:50 AM »

I've always been fascinated by the constant hammering by the ARRL and various space cadet groups that "We've got to attract young people to our hobby". This has been the single biggest argument for the dumbing down of the hobby. My god, the extra class test is now about as difficult as the novice test I took about 40 years ago. So what if the hobby slowly dies? Lots of hobbies have become passé and been reduced to a fraction of their peak size. I don't see it as a bad thing. Sure we may lose some frequencies, but if there are fewer hams, doesn't it stand to reason we don't need the same bandwidth? Truth is, the ARRL is only interested in protecting themselves financially. If they could double the dues, they'd be content with half as many members. Personally, I'd rather see our hobby slowly die with some dignity, instead of what's happening to it.

Darrell, WA5VGO
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 11:12:23 AM »

Over the past 10 - 15 years the trend I have seen is the entry into the hobby of older people who were exposed when they were young and now retired and want to take up the hobby.

Sure the growth curve is flat, but as long as we have a significant presence on the bands, it will remain alive to some extent.  One advantage of older people entering the hobby is they tend to be more level headed and think things through more thoroghly.  We should tap this resource when answering petitions from the ARRL more often.

It is nice to have the younger generation entering the hobby, but that is almost akin to flogging the dead horse.  We also should be recruiting those who have the time now that they are retired.  Once they reach that stage, they are not as interested in the cell against the ear nor typing on a keyboard.
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 12:20:32 PM »

I think it comes down to exposure.

My initial venture into radio was triggered by listening to KDKA as a kid. They had a guy named Don Chuliano(+/- on the spelling) who would man the shortwave radio there and record the foriegn broadcast news services for replay. That knocked me out so that led me to getting a GR-64 to see what was going on.
That interest in radio got me a meet and a chat with my Uncle's childhood ham friend and shortly after my novice license. Burt, W3ENM had been in the war, and as many guy's at the time, had used ham radio as a means of getting back home. I remember him running patches back for a guy in the Canal Zone all of the time. It was cool and had that important side to it. Exposure.

The greatest thing lately for exposure, in my opinion  has been the ham link to the space station. This has great impact for the kids just as the items I mentioned affected me in my youth. Radio clubs had to deliver the event to the student in school knowing they might not find it out in their neighborhood.
There is always going to be the technology interested student out there who just might trigger some interest in radio. You just have to spark the right energy for them.

Amateur radio could have had geat public exposure thru the unfortunate events in the last few years. Hams have shined with their volunteer work yet nobody seems to really hear about it. Maybe nobody wants to admit that the amateurs were the only ones to get things going when there was nothing else. These "special interest" public service stories could have been a great tool to lure the interest of kids but did anything come out of that? Not as much exposure as it deserved.

Most parents have fear for their children anymore from the internet, to even walking down the street. When I was young I remember walking up to a house with an ham antenna in the yard. Turned out to be a nice contact as the local ham was glad to show me around the station. No problem.
Things have changed, for one thing you don't see many antenna's in neighborhoods anymore and parents might be a little less likely to let their kids alone with the "wacky" radio guy down the street. Less exposure.

On a personal level, my eleven year old has no interest in this. I have tried many times to het him on for the Kids Day events. He just doesn't want to do it. Video games and reading occupy his off time here at home, he loves it. Hockey has taken up the rest of the time for the both of us.
It also apparant that today's kid is accustomed to the instant gratification medium out there. If they can't get it now their interest will go onward to the next hit..learning CW is out.

Bottom line is, I think ham radio will be around in some form maybe not for the same reasons that we now find interest. There will be something to grab interest for the newcomer. Ham radio will have to sell itself thru good volunteer service, considerate practice, and thru it's relation to emerging technology. We have to sell it to others. Wink

(fixed a typo)--VJB
K1MVP
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 01:02:06 PM »

I've always been fascinated by the constant hammering by the ARRL and various space cadet groups that "We've got to attract young people to our hobby". This has been the single biggest argument for the dumbing down of the hobby. My god, the extra class test is now about as difficult as the novice test I took about 40 years ago. So what if the hobby slowly dies? Lots of hobbies have become passé and been reduced to a fraction of their peak size. I don't see it as a bad thing. Sure we may lose some frequencies, but if there are fewer hams, doesn't it stand to reason we don't need the same bandwidth? Truth is, the ARRL is only interested in protecting themselves financially. If they could double the dues, they'd be content with half as many members. Personally, I'd rather see our hobby slowly die with some dignity, instead of what's happening to it.

Darrell, WA5VGO

The ARRL is looking out to save their "collective butts", pure and simple and this recent
"election" of a "new" president just proves it, IMO.

They are in "big time denial" on many issues, when they say that the "magic" of HR
can still be captured as it was years ago.(with the internet,cell phones,etc, etc)
The facts remain, it IS NOT the same world it was 40 years ago, and most youth are
NOT impressed with ham radio in 2006.

Why do you think ham radio has been "dumbed down" especially over the past 20
years?--maybe to get the numbers up?--but the league STILL "touts" the present
exam system as "just as hard", if not "harder" than the exams were years ago.

Why would that be?--well maybe it has to do with convincing newcomers that their
"instant tickets" are really worth something, and then get them to join the ARRL,
get QST and BUY the "new" high tech megabuck radio`s.

In closing,--My oldest son,--a EE with Raytheon has often "chuckled" about ham radio,
in that he views it as "arcahic",--see`s Dad with the antenna`s and radio`s and "shakes
his head".--That tells me a lot.

IF ham radio is still around,in 30 years,--it sure will not look like anything most of knew
back 40 years ago,--probably will look just a "high powered CB service" with many
more "appliance operators", IMO.

73, K1MVP
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 06:57:01 PM »

If we stop with the condescending attitude towards new hams (and ESPECIALLY no-code techs), have interesting and fun conversations on the air, and promote technical advancement (IE get hams to understand whatever facet of the hobby turns their crank), we'll go a long way towards  keeping ham radio alive forever.

There's generally no problem with any of this at all within the AM community.  The fact that AMers tend to be more fun (and less bitter about life) and build/fix/restore/etc is the main reason I became active again after the sheer boredom of SSB.

If you ever delve into the hell that is qrz/com you'll see plenty of condescention towards newcomers (people with avatars proudly proclaiming that they are a "20 WPM Extra", etc) and pissing matches at every turn.  Hopefully we'll see these bitter OM's gear on eBay and we can make room for enthusiastic n00bs who are sick of the bitterness.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 09:54:24 PM »

Some of the sharpest people I know could barely pass 5 WPM
A 20 WPM Extra
John Holotko

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 01:59:43 AM »

I tend to agree  with what MVP said above. However, I think there will always be a small contingency of  persons, yopung and old, who find ham radio interesting in one wayor  another. But face it. The ability to have your own radio and antenna and to be able to talk cross country and around the world lacks  the excitement, thrill, awe and appeal  that it once had.  However, I doubt that in a decade or so the FCC will be issuing ham radio licenses anymore. Atsome point they'll  probably  wash their hands of it altogether.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
John Holotko

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 02:07:47 AM »

If we stop with the condescending attitude towards new hams (and ESPECIALLY no-code techs), have interesting and fun conversations on the air, and promote technical advancement (IE get hams to understand whatever facet of the hobby turns their crank), we'll go a long way towards  keeping ham radio alive forever.

There's generally no problem with any of this at all within the AM community.  The fact that AMers tend to be more fun (and less bitter about life) and build/fix/restore/etc is the main reason I became active again after the sheer boredom of SSB.

If you ever delve into the hell that is qrz/com you'll see plenty of condescention towards newcomers (people with avatars proudly proclaiming that they are a "20 WPM Extra", etc) and pissing matches at every turn.  Hopefully we'll see these bitter OM's gear on eBay and we can make room for enthusiastic n00bs who are sick of the bitterness.

73 John

Amen !!  Instead  of rejecting the new no-code licensee's and turning ones back on them help  them along. Make them feel welcome. Help  them out. That's right. I get sick when I see  these guys with these attitudes of "hey, I'm a 20 wpm  extra that makes me better  than any no-code newbie". Screw that attitude and welcome the newcomers aboard.

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 11:01:15 AM »

"hey, I'm a 20 wpm  extra that makes me better  than any no-code newbie". Screw that attitude and welcome the newcomers aboard.

Agreed! 

Yep, in reality, except for outselves, no ones really cares about our personal accomplishments. Maybe our best friends will pat us on the back, but that's it. I try not to have expectations of others, thus little disappointment when they don't do what I expect...and hopefully vice versa. 

It doesn't matter to me how hard I worked to get the Extra Class. It's a personal thing. If somebody pays to have another sit in for the test, well, that's their shallow accomplishment. They'll burn outa the hobby in no time anyway.   It's what you put in is what you get outa this hobby.

Unless someone is a rare breed who just likes to talk, buying a complete station from mic to antenna installation results in a short ham career.  Mix is some challenges, like earning the ticket, specialized antennas, HB rigs, modified gear, serious restorations, etc, and you have a real hobby to stick with fpr a long time.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

K1MVP
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 12:44:59 PM »

"hey, I'm a 20 wpm  extra that makes me better  than any no-code newbie". Screw that attitude and welcome the newcomers aboard.

Agreed! 

Yep, in reality, except for outselves, no ones really cares about our personal accomplishments. Maybe our best friends will pat us on the back, but that's it. I try not to have expectations of others, thus little disappointment when they don't do what I expect...and hopefully vice versa. 

It doesn't matter to me how hard I worked to get the Extra Class. It's a personal thing. If somebody pays to have another sit in for the test, well, that's their shallow accomplishment. They'll burn outa the hobby in no time anyway.   It's what you put in is what you get outa this hobby.

Unless someone is a rare breed who just likes to talk, buying a complete station from mic to antenna installation results in a short ham career.  Mix is some challenges, like earning the ticket, specialized antennas, HB rigs, modified gear, serious restorations, etc, and you have a real hobby to stick with fpr a long time.

T

I argree,
That just because a guy can do 20wpm and "beyond",--does not necessarily make one
"good" technically.

Have seen this many times (in my experience) both in industry and the military.
Many non-hams were great techs, that I worked with,--some even better than some
of us hams,--but I do know that HR did help me in being a good tech.
I DO NOT blame the newcomer for the "mess" HR now finds itself in,--BUT do feel
the ARRL did contribute to the problem back about 20 years ago ,IMO.

I still believe its a "leadership" problem,--with the "old boy" system in Newington.
Again this recent election of a "new" president says a lot, IMO.

It would seem to myself and many others that the ARRL is mainly interested in
"cookie cutter" hams, and is very leary of maverick type hams, and could even
view those of us in the AM community as "maverick"-- and/ or "outlaw hams",-- as
many if not most, may not fit into the "cookie" or "plastic" mold, IMO.

Also agree with W1UJR, that ham radio will not "be saved" by the ARRL.

73, K1MVP

P.S.--As far as the 20wpm cw exam,--at least it did help "weed out" those who
      had a real interest, versus those with a "superficial" interest, albeit not a "perfect"
     filter, as it did require some work.
     I really do not care if the cw requirement is eliminated,--but the exam methods
     should be "revised" or "changed",--again just my opinion,--otherwise the FCC
     might just as well start "giving" tickets out to everybody and anybody.
     This is where many of us OF`s think HR is headed, at the rate things are going.         

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 01:17:34 PM »

"Also agree with W1UJR, that ham radio will not "be saved" by the ARRL."

HA!  The funny thing is that WE may have to save the ARRL some day.  The last time I looked at their public financial statement a coupla years ago, the Leaugue's net worth was down to around JUST two million dollars and had just taken a multi-million dollar slam in the stock market. Hopefully, things have come back a little in their stock market speculation activiities.... Roll Eyes

As I said once before, if I were an officer or employee, I would be doing everything I could to get more members/dues, and get them on a stronger financial footing. I would be very concerned whether  my pension was going to be there  or not, after I retired. THAT probably has a great influence on many of theiir decisions these days. Wouldn't you be concerned too?

As for becoming the prez of ARRL?...  My hat is off to anyone who takes that thankless job. No compensation, other than travel expenses, etc... A time sink. You gotta love ham radio to do it and love the recognition, I guess. God bless 'em.

T

John Holotko

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 01:24:56 PM »

Agreed! 

T

Yes, you  are right. First let me  say  I agree.Having passed the 20, or even 13 wpm code test maymean little to others.  But we do have every right to take pride in ourselves for having put in the time and effort  and having made the accomplisment.

I also feel that a ham radio license is something that should be earned. If not  by code proficiency then by some other means. There  ought to always be some levels or standards that indicate some  levelof interest  and dedication.

But most importantly I think the worst thing that hams  can do is to shun the newcomers. Be they no-code or whatever we should  try  and help  them along the road to improving their skills and teaching them what we know.  I am sure many of them will make excellent hams if we help them along. And who knows, we may even learn a few thbings from them along the way.

John Holotko

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 01:28:25 PM »

Just a thought... Perhaps we need to bring more females into the hobby ?? Maybe that  will encourage more males to join  up with the expectation of meeting the "girl of their dreams"over the radio ?? Maybe the patriarchal structure of ham radiop has outlived it's usefulness. Perhaps  ham radio will  have a brighter future as a coed hobby ?? Any thoughts ??

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 01:41:08 PM »

"But most importantly I think the worst thing that hams  can do is to shun the newcomers. Be they no-code or whatever we should  try  and help  them along the road to improving their skills and teaching them what we know.  I am sure many of them will make excellent hams if we help them along. And who knows, we may even learn a few thbings from them along the way."

So true.

We are judged on how we treat others of lesser experience or stature in life.  Notice how friendly and helpful most corporate execs are the higher you climb... and how much "lording" goes on as you go into the rank and file.

When I hear an experienced ham stop to take the time to welcome a newcomer and make him feel good about his new accomplishments, no matter how minor, I gain a greater regard for him. This guy has a healthy inner-confidence and self respect.

T

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 01:50:36 PM »

Never would you HAVE TO save the ARRL.  It's just a commercial entity. 

We could form a new amateur radio lobby group from scratch.  And there's no requirement for this new "national association for amateur radio" to be a technical publishing house also.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 01:53:42 PM »

Never would you HAVE TO save the ARRL.  It's just a commercial entity. 

We could form a new amateur radio lobby group from scratch.  And there's no requirement for this new "national association for amateur radio" to be a technical pusblishing house also.

So true, Tom.  Anything is possible if ya have the motivation and love for the hobby, as Hiram once did.

T

K1MVP
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 02:43:13 PM »

Just a thought... Perhaps we need to bring more females into the hobby ?? Maybe that  will encourage more males to join  up with the expectation of meeting the "girl of their dreams"over the radio ?? Maybe the patriarchal structure of ham radiop has outlived it's usefulness. Perhaps  ham radio will  have a brighter future as a coed hobby ?? Any thoughts ??

John,
This issue did come to my attention about 3 or 4 years ago when I became
involved in "mentoring" and talking to "newcomers".
I found that many,(including a 20 wpm extra) did not seem to have an
understanding of "basic electronics", and seemed not to really care about
learning.

Started asking myself,--"what is going on here"?
I began to question the exam system,--and the more I "looked",--the more
the exams questions,(and methods) seemed to be at fault.

Prior to this experience(as I was real busy with work es family)--I just was not totally aware
of just  how bad the exam system had been compromised.

Another thing that happened  about this same time,--was a friend of mine mentioned that he was involved in administering exams for a few years under the VEC system ,and told me "it was a joke", and a "waste of time",--and I asked "why is that"?

He said that at any given exam session,--a person was allowed to "retake" the exam
as long as he just kept paying the exam fee, until he passed.--thus it was a "joke"
in his opinion and felt he could no longer "play the game".

Another experience,--was when I was working on a homebrew AM modulator,
a 20 wpm extra,--asked me "whats that"?-- I said an AM modulator,--he then said
what is AM?
I then really was "appalled"--a 20 wpm extra did not know what AM was.
Again,--I do not blame him,--but do fault the exam system for not at least covering
some AM basics somewhere along the "exam chain".

As far as getting female`s interested,--there is another problem in my opinion.

I had just finished doing the AM,(HLR) mods on my FT-101 and happened to be
"tuning around" on 75 AM one day, and I was showing my youngest daugther
the "beauty" of AM, and would you not know it,-- some guy was on, "GDing this and
 GD that"-- and she says, "dad what is that",--I basically had to apoligize and
tell her that this type of behavior was/is not "right".--and after that my attitude
toward getting her interested in HR went down the tube.
If I did,--I would probably restrict her to cw, and forget the phone bands.

73, K1MVP

P.S ,some would say, I am being "overprotective",--have heard that before.    

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 07:18:17 PM »

Rene, people just arent going to understand electronics unless they WANT to.  Even then they'll have to stumble across a group of AMers most likely to mentor them and give them correct advice instead of hammy hambone lore.  Ain't no test in the world is gonna guarantee hams have a good *understanding* of electronics.  ANd maybe that's the way it oughta be.  There's plenty a room in ham radio for those that ain't electronics wizards.  Corntesters, DXers, traffic handlers, etc., don't need to know how to modify a ricebox.  And maybe someone doesn't know a cathode from a collector but is shit hot on antenners.

There's room for all, and while we can laugh about some of the sillier comments we hear remember none of us (except maybe the Tron) was born with an innate understanding of radio theory.

You gotta kinda wonder though if they aren't interested in what makes a radio tick why they chose ham radio as a hobby....

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015