The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:11:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of wood do YOU like to burn in the winter?  (Read 22821 times)
VE7 Kilohertz

« on: December 10, 2005, 10:57:18 AM »

As I was loading another partial cord of wood into the basement, thru my new wood chute that I cut into the basement wall, I was wondering, what everyone else burns in other parts of the country and how much do you burn thru the winter months?

Out here in the pacific northwest, we have lots of Pine, Fir and Spruce. This year I managed to find a clear cut block with lot's of fir and pine left stacked and abandoned. It just had to follow me home on the fllatdeck trailer. I also burn lots of Birch as it burns much hotter and longer than the softwoods, although Fir is pretty close. The Pine lights easily and burns hot for quick heat in the morning. Fir and Birch are our "all nighters".

So what do you have in your area?  Hickory, Oak, other trees we consider "exotics" out here in the west?

Cheers

Paul
VE7KHz

A load of Birch

And a few Fir logs that followed me home

Nice 2 year old dried Pine

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
WV Hoopie
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 12:42:58 PM »

Hi Paul,

Nice looking spread you have there in Vernon, BC. We use to burn lots of wood when living on the other side of the Mississippi. Pine was at the bottom of the list, too much creosote, but better than nothing. Black Cherry was the favorite in northern WV, lots of it growing in the forest, straight grain and easy to split, burned well enough to be considered, "all nighter".  Oak and Maple were good, little harder to come by, great hard wood and burned hot n' long. Us West by God Virginians would not cut down a Hickory or Black Walnut for heat. Those two fed the squirrels, turkey, etc., no use ruining hunting season. Beech, Birch, Ash, were few and far in between, more than likely timbered years ago.

Worst tree to tackle was an American Elm, a crossgrained nightmare. Had to have good gas powered splitter, better just to use a chain saw and cut it into chunks.

73's
wd8kdg
Craig
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 01:23:59 PM »

We burn Natalie Wood here.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 01:30:45 PM »

We burn oak, cherry, maple and elm. Craig you are right. Elm is a hard wood to split, but burns OK.
The woodstove has a mixture of maple and elm burning right now!

Wood consumption is just under a cord (4'x4'x8' split, stacked).

Bill KA8WTK
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 01:37:21 PM »

I don't know much about woodstoves but am learning fast. I had heard that you should not burn Pine because it can lead to chimney fires. Is there a way around this?
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 01:40:56 PM »

I burn hickory and oak here.  We have 30+ acres of woodlands and most the trees are the two mentioned, with a few cedars, however I don't burn cedar.  I heat the house with nothing but wood and 4 cords will always get us through the winter with some left over.

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 01:42:03 PM »

Terry said:
We burn Natalie Wood here.

That's the kind of wood that doesn't float! Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 01:51:25 PM »

Oak and maple here in North Carolina... The new QTH has a nice stone fireplace. The previous owner left a big stack of wood in the backyard but there's no shelter like you have Paul. (gotta build one). I've been splitting logs the old fashion way with an axe and mallet/wedge and stacking the wood in the basement near the heat pumps to dry. Next season I'm going to look into some sort of wood splitter... Any suggestions on something not too expensive?

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 02:22:24 PM »

Here in CT its mainly oaks of various types and maples. Branch prunings from apples, crabapples, and cherrys have a nice aroma and are in the mix of small stuff burned. Very few burn softwoods iaround here except for kindling due to the cresosote problem.  Pine also throws lots of sparks from an open fireplace or stove that is a concern.  Most of my kindling is from split up pine and fir lumber scraps left over from various projects. 

In 80-82 we we tried to maximize use of our family room VT Casting Vigilant for heating the house and it was very successful.  Didn't turn on the baseboard heat at all until after Christmas.  At the time, I had my main ham station setup (Heath SB Line) in the same room, and it was really nice working DX on CW with the fire going and lighting up the room.  Then we got used to the oil prices, were out of the house more than in, and got away from wood heat.  This would be a good year to get back into it.  Son Dave is using a little VT Casting Resolute in his place and it works out well for heating his 2 bedroom ranch.  Previous house ower left him several cords, so he's set for a while.

Anyone using wood pellets care to comment?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 02:31:38 PM »

Here in the eastern part of West Virginia oak and locust are plentiful. I have 3 cords stacked now, about half locust and half oak. The locust has a bit more BTU's than the oak, but I don't care for the smell of it while burning, and if the bark is still on it makes a lot of ashes.
My property is full of pine but I don't use it except for kindling. It makes way too much creosote. I have burnt up huge piles of pine just to get rid of it when clearing the property or getting rid of the ones close to the house.
I used to cut my own wood, but since the kids are all gone and I am getting older, I buy it now. I spend about $120 per cord delivered and I use about 2 cords per year. I can heat the whole house all winter on 3 but I let the heat pump take care of the milder days. I have a nice fire going now..my woodstove has a glass in the door and it is nice to watch on a cold winters eve. Last night it got down to 5 above here.

---Dave  W3NP
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 06:22:09 PM »

Happy Hay. Thats wood right?

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W1QWT

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 07:51:23 PM »

I have been burning wood to supplement my heating for years. I have electric heat and have to do something to keep the costs down. Besides we loose power abt three times every winter and the old woodalene stove keeps me warm and eating hot food when the power is out.
One thing I am amazed at is what the cost of a cord of wood have gotten to here.
Almost $300 a chord for hardwood! When I first started burning it it was about $100 for a good cord.
I think it is because it has become "fashionable" to burn wood around here this year.
I read in the paper about a big increase in chimmny fires in this area because people who have never burned wood are doing all sorts of crazy things.
My stove will burn coal also so I have taken to burning it in addition to wood. A little messy but a lot cheaper.
I have a chord of wood and 160 lbs of coal so far for this winter. I generally only burn on weekends when people are home.

Regards, Q, W1QWT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 08:19:38 PM »

I burned hardwood for years then switched to coal. Wood costs too much now
I remember paying $30 a cord for long lengths.  You can't beat quality hard coal
Now I'm into insulation...

My system crapped out so i just did oil the past few years. I did about 1000 G when i first moved here. Now I do 750 and the house is 50% bigger. I used to burn 4 cords that also heated the basement. At 300 a cord I don't see any saving now.

A friend put a pellet stove in and he loves it but the price of fuel has jumped there also. The only possible problem is it needs electric power to operate.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 09:35:59 PM »

My favorite wood for use in a fireplace and the outdoors porch burner
is piñon pine. Very fragrant. Even though it's a pine, it's a dense, slow growing
wood that burns for a long time.  Lots of resin and lots of BTUs.
A real gnarly bear to split, though. Got to use wedges with the maul.

Probably the most common firewood around here is lodgepole and ponderosa
pine, and cottonwood.

I'm surprised that elm was mentioned, I thought they were all wiped out
from disease.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 09:54:38 PM »

The big thing around here is burning corn. I guess you can get quite alot of heat from a bushel of corn. Plus what the guys tell me, its fairly clean compared to coal. All ashes and you have an automatic stoker, but the hell with that, its very CHEAP.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 10:26:09 PM »

I can't believe some of you have commented that a cord of wood is $300 !!  Here in Arkansas you can buy 120 cubic feet of split wood for $125.  I have enough timber on my land to keep me from having to buy it, but when I get older, and my back finally gives out, I'll be buying or paying someone to come and cut mine for me. 

I guess up north where it gets really cold, even the firewood guys are price gouging.

73 de W5AMI - Brian
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 11:29:39 PM »

Paid $170/ cord for hardwood this year.  Nice windfall profit mark-up for the lumber guys.   Whatever the market will bear.

We mix 1/2 coal and 1/2 wood for years now. A beautiful combo for both ambience and heat.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 12:05:51 AM »

I don't burn wood here but know people who do. You can find a great resource for stove wood in the form of pallets. No body wants them back after shipping and in most cases they are oak or poplar. You can keep warm and help to recycle at the same time.
Most businesses would be glad to rid themselves of their excess.

VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 12:45:56 AM »

Wow! Interesting how the prices vary from region to region. I guess it all depends on supply and demand.

Yup. Pine is a PITA for chimney maintenance but it burns hot for a short while (like an 807 on 12 volts).
I only have to drop the tire chains down the flue once per season. I keep the fire pretty hot.
Man!! I am amazed that some of you are burning some of the best furniture wood for heat. Again, it all depends on what's common in your area. Burning Oak out here (for me) is reserved for only the best pork roast or big slab "o" brisket on the big drum Q. And Cherry is like gold out here. We don't have any hickory although you can buy it in chip form for the Q at Walmart. $12/lb. 

Anyone want to trade some hickory wood for some tubes???

Cheers

Paul

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
wa2fns
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 08:25:50 AM »

Oak is pretty available here in Fl,several types of them.Prices on level pickup trucks of split wood go for about $125......Glenn,torqued my shoulder 2 winters back splitting without warming up and stretching, looked for a splitter afterwards, settled on a DR brand 4 ton, about 400 bux,they offer a 6 ton also.Does a good job on my stuff, wood to 10 in diameter, dried of course.Spraying the knife end  with  Pam helps reduce the friction.Of course some oak is so hard you have chainsaw it.
                             John,WA2FNS
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 11:33:48 AM »

Forgot to mention that I burn a lot of wood pallets that
would be going to the landfill. I pick them
up every few days from the loading dock of a nearby retail business.
Throw them in the back of the truck on the way home.
Many are made from hardwoods and hardwood scrap.
The stouter ones must have 80 pounds of wood in them.

Taking advantage of some nice wx and been cutting
them up all morning.

The price is definitely right.

Anybody burning dried cow dung?
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 12:06:10 PM »

Forgot to mention that I burn a lot of wood pallets that
would be going to the landfill. I pick them
up every few days from the loading dock of a nearby retail business.
Throw them in the back of the truck on the way home.
Many are made from hardwoods and hardwood scrap.
The stouter ones must have 80 pounds of wood in them.

Taking advantage of some nice wx and been cutting
them up all morning.

The price is definitely right.

Anybody burning dried cow dung?

I don't think my wife would let me even try to burn cow dung, Bill.  That is, unless she didn't know what it was.  Does it really burn that hot and long?

I wonder if anyone here has ever had any serious fire problems with their flue?  I clean mine about every three weeks of burning just to be safe.  The hickory does build up some creosote.  I also have a three walled top section that goes through the ceiling and roof.  The section below the ceiling is a single walled pipe with the damper about 4 feet above the "Kozi" stove.  I've run this configuration for about 3 1/2 years with no problems.

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2005, 03:21:57 PM »

Thanks John;

$400 sounds reasonable... that's a gas powered unit I assume? think they also make a propane powered version.
This spring I have some trees that need to be removed... plan to have a wood shelter and a splitter ready for next season.  Wink

That reminds me, can anyone offer advise on the proper way to clean the creosote out of the chimney?

Oak is pretty available here in Fl,several types of them.Prices on level pickup trucks of split wood go for about $125......Glenn,torqued my shoulder 2 winters back splitting without warming up and stretching, looked for a splitter afterwards, settled on a DR brand 4 ton, about 400 bux,they offer a 6 ton also.Does a good job on my stuff, wood to 10 in diameter, dried of course.Spraying the knife end  with  Pam helps reduce the friction.Of course some oak is so hard you have chainsaw it.
                             John,WA2FNS
wa2fns
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2005, 06:44:15 PM »

Glenn,
These are 110/125v Ac powered electric/hydraulic splitters, think they are about 100 lbs.Found others that were similar and a bit less but the DR has service support,came with 3 yr warranty.think if you use good extension cord(10 ga) you could use up to 25 feet away without killing it.More info on there website.
                                          John
N0WVA

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2005, 07:11:16 PM »

Oak and hickory here in Mkissouri. Grew up around a sawmill, so wood for heating was no problem, always plenty of tie spurs, rotten logs to cut up, slabs, ect.

Now I still burn wood, but occasionally work for a tree trimmer, so geting firewood is no problem.

For those of you that are paying for your firewood, try talking tree trimmers into dumping a load of wood on your property. A lot of times they have to pay to dump it and they will gladly give you a load for nothing. Its easier in the summer when the demand for firewood is less.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015