The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:57:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coil Calculator for those who prefer to "roll their own"  (Read 26317 times)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« on: November 23, 2005, 07:26:27 PM »

cut and paste this URL: http://www.crystalradio.net/professorcoyle/

Kewl!
      Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
KE1GF
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 10:42:20 AM »

Good find Joe, It's more advanced than my air-core calculator because it accounts for the parasitic capacitance.

-Bill 'GF
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 11:29:29 AM »

Good find Joe, It's more advanced than my air-core calculator because it accounts for the parasitic capacitance.

-Bill 'GF

Bill,
    Happy Thanksgiving! I thought the coil calculator looked FB and thanks for the comment.

BTW, do you have a coil winding machine or do you do it the old fashioned way? I see coil winders from time to time on epay; but they command Gi-huge-ic sums of money.

If you don't have one, do you have any thoughts on rolling your own to roll your own, so to speak - hi? I have an old hand drill I'd fancy making a coil winer with. No turns counter on it, but it's better than nuthin.

Regards,
           Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
KE1GF
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 08:02:41 PM »

Joe I don't. I have made a few jigs to wind some heavy gauge stuff in the past. Someday I'll have a metal lathe so I can make forms etc...

I hope your turkey day was good.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 11:26:20 AM »

Joe,

I once had to wind a coil for a control solenoid for a A/C system in one of my previous cars.  Because it was a dealer only item and the dealer wanted nearly $100 I ended up rewinding the solenoid myself. I peeled apart the injected molded plastic and discovered probably 2000 turns of fine wire on the solenoid bobbin.  I fabricated a crude winder out of metal rod, barstock and a few other items I had layin' around and came up with something like this:

http://home.att.net/~w1rkw/winder.gif

I chucked the winder into a variable speed drill and held the drill in a vise.  For the most part it worked OK fine.
Obviously for other types of coils this won't work.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »

Joe,

I once had to wind a coil for a control solenoid for a A/C system in one of my previous cars.  Because it was a dealer only item and the dealer wanted nearly $100 I ended up rewinding the solenoid myself. I peeled apart the injected molded plastic and discovered probably 2000 turns of fine wire on the solenoid bobbin.  I fabricated a crude winder out of metal rod, barstock and a few other items I had layin' around and came up with something like this:

I chucked the winder into a variable speed drill and held the drill in a vise.  For the most part it worked OK fine.

What kinda car and where in the system was that used? Just curious.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 02:44:18 PM »

Joe,

Bob - Many thanks for the info and the picture. I saved it for future reference. It may just do the trick for what I'm looking for. I have an alternate design to do spiderwebs; and most of what I'd like to do will be on a standard round bobbin (big tank coils exempt - they need copper tubing).

I'm curious with Dave, APE. What part did you repair?
Very Best Regards,
                         Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 08:54:32 AM »

I don't remember exactly but I believe the problem was a defroster and A/C issue.  There was a flap that directed air for the defroster and A/C in the ventilation system.  The flap was controlled by a vacuum servo. The servo was controlled by a valve that was controlled by this particular solenoid.  When the A/C was running there would be no air flow from the A/C vents.  The dead solenoid prevented the flap from moving to the proper position when the A/C vents would be selected.  I think that was the problem.  We're going back 15 years or so. Things are little foggy.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015