The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:20:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Paint  (Read 14048 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: July 08, 2005, 02:55:56 PM »

Recently I had to replace a capacitor in an IF transformer in my NC 183D.  I noticed the paint had been scuffed and in some very small places surface rust had formed.  Not wanting the rust to progress, I decided to strip and repaint the case.  

I took a trip to the auto parts store and found a close match of Dupli-Color and bought some Aircraft Stripper.  I just finished stripping the paint on my B&W 5100 with the stripper and it removed the paint in two passes, so I felt it would do a good job with this project.

Am I surprised.  I have applied 3 coats to the finish and most of the paint is still there.  What ever National used must have been the finest, hardest paint available.  It is amost impossible to remove completely.  The aircraft stripper will eventually get it off, but it is going to take a gallon or more.

Has anyone else stripped a National cabinet and had this problem?  If so what kind of stripped did you use and do you recommend?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 06:27:27 PM »

Yeah, I stripped a NC-183D a few years ago and just used the cheapest crap available at the local hardware store.  Took it right off.  Dunno what to tell you...

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 07:41:35 PM »

This is almost unbelivalble.  It took three coats to remove the paint on the surface.  This stuff does not bubble, just softens and I have to use a brass brush to get the paint off when it is soft.  The third coat did it.  

By the way, this all started over an IF coil.  I noticed some distortion on strong signals.  I traced it to one of the output coils with 270 pf mica postage stamps.  Well when the receiver warmed to operating temp, the cap would change values and give a distorted signal.

You had to mention bad mica caps a while back, and I swear the tranformer in question can read.   :lol:
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 07:45:05 PM »

Curious, what Dupli-color at what auto parts store? I have a NC-173 in need of a paint job.

Bill KA8WTK
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 08:29:55 PM »

Hi bill:

This particular is a bit lighter than the original, but is fairly close.  It is called Machinery Gray, DA 1612.  I say that but paint tends to darken as it ages and if I live to 100 it may match.

The auto parts store is O'Reilley here.  I don't know if you have them or not but you can go the the Dupli-Color site to see where they have retailers.
www.duplicolor.com

73  Jim
W5JO
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 09:33:56 AM »

THANKS!

Bill KA8WTK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands