The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:13:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Director/Vice Director Elections - Atlantic, Great Lakes, Mid-West  (Read 34873 times)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 05:28:31 PM »

Monkey see, monkeys pile on.
http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=b7ccab85cebaabf27fb807f853e85afb;act=ST;f=7;t=101162;st=0
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 08:10:23 PM »

try to get someone in there that won't screw you.

Good one, Pete !

I had a 20 minute conversation with Fuller's hand-picked successor, Bill Edgar, and his running mate, Tom Abernathy. Both had materialized at the AM Festival Station at Gaithersburg Saturday evening, and somebody pushed me toward them while I was eating one of Chuck's hi hi FB hamburgers.

Neither Bill Edgar nor Tom Abernathy initially indicated any prior knowledge that the AM community has been chronically neglected in several key areas of the League's activities.

But after I detailed our lack of visibility in ARRL publications, its political dealings, and its regulatory deliberations, both men said they had not heard any specific "anti-AM" sentiment in the group's leadership. However, both men acknowledged the concept of benign neglect, and as I pressed the point, neither could provide an example of something the League owns that signals the group's support for AM.

Baiting them a bit (hard to believe Paul; is this the new you? Ha), I offered up the W1AW-AM station as one example. Neither man indicated they were aware of the station until I reminded them it comes as a gift of prominent donor Joe Walsh, WB6ACU. I quickly followed up with a short history of our unsuccessful proposals for a WAS-AM, (at a time there is an "SSB" endorsement) and to have the W1AW bulletin station use AM on 7290Kc, the frequency that the League's Considerate Operator's Guide defines as an "AM Calling Frequency."  The most specific response to this litany was "we can look into it."

Bottom line, I'm not convinced either of these guys is any different or offers any prospect of being more receptive to the specialty of AM than any of the existing crop of losers, misfits and self-directed experts now running this little non-profit group. I said if they want our support, they should already have some sort of record of serving us in a specific, identifyable way, to help counter some specifically negative moves we instead draw conclusions from.

Based on their responses, or lack of them in some cases, I see no difference to what you presently have in your Division. Both seem to somewhat clueless as to past happenings within the ARRL. Bernie trained them well. It will be interesting to read their campaign blurb when the ballots go out. I would definitely review the alternative candidates, if you can find some info or campaign rhetoric from them, to get a sense of balance. I suspect though that you guys are going to get stuck with three more years of the stuff you presently have. I wonder if you’ve considered testing e-mail responses with them to get a feel for their response time to questions, issues, etc.? As I mentioned on some other board, in some past life, I think you should have made yourself a candidate for Director. Might have been fun seeing Dave's body twitch after he saw your name on the slate.

One bright note, one of them indicated Haynie is on his way out. I earlier received this information from a non-ARRL source. The successor is reportedly Joel Harrison. I know nothing about him.

Haven't heard that, but I think he's been President for 5(?) years. I'm sure there's some level of burnoff after being constantly on the front line getting shelled at almost every place he goes. Unpaid position, traveling around the country, being chief ARRL spokesperson at many Conventions, probably can be very draining. Joel Harrison is currently 1st Vice President. Go here to read the bios: ARRL Officer Bios
In the last electon where the President stepped down, the assumption was the 1st Vice President(when he announced his candidacy for President) was a shoe-in for the majority of the Director votes. It turned bad for him. Lost by several votes for President position and also lost his 1st Vice seat.

Glad to see you back onboard AM Forum train.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2005, 04:26:21 PM »

CWA SEZ: "Based on their responses, or lack of them in some cases, I see no difference to what you presently have in your Division. Both seem to somewhat clueless as to past happenings within the ARRL."

Clueless, yes. But it is because they don't really care to know. If these guys had a legitimate reason for not knowing, I could cut them slack. They don't. I don't.

What's worse, not knowing or not caring?
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2005, 04:51:57 PM »

This is a lovely bunch, Dave.

First of all, Albert W3MIV who started the QRZ.com thread, appears as one of the Endorsements on the Edgar/Abernethy joint campaign website.  (see http://bestvote.org for he rest of the fun )

Among the other endorsers of the Edgar/Abernethy run are the outgoing Director and the "Red Cross".
 http://bestvote.org/red_cross.htm

The Red Cross endorsement, albeit of Edgar only, piqued my curiosity.  I was unaware that the Red Cross, or any other charitable, not for profit with no direct role in the affairs of amateur radio, would, should, or could endorse a candidate for office in the ARRL.     
It turns out the endorsement comes from the head of a local Red Cross chapter on whose Board of Directors Edgar sits. 

Considering that others who belong to the ARRL and reside in the Atlantic Division may contribute to the Red Cross, but at the same time not want to see Mr. Edgar elected Director, I found the posting of an endorsement by the "Red Cross" strange.   I might even go so far as to say that I thought it smacked of a conflict of interest. 

Finally, thanks for the rundown on the Edgar/Abernethy encounter, Paul. 

Go Duke![/b]
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2005, 02:06:50 PM »

Dave, you have proven time and time again that you are a schitzo.

Read this one. Average poster I.Q. 10-15 points more and still as "personal" when disagreeing you schitzo.

http://www.radiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=78218&page=1&pp=10
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2005, 04:33:03 PM »

Very entertaining.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA3VJB
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2005, 08:32:01 AM »

Well Newington's Iraqi-style elections have taken place, where selected candidates were allowed to run and win without silly distractions like real campaign competition.

Notice Candidate Carl Stevenson WK3C is not acknowledged as would be proper for an even-handed treatment of internal League politics.

N THE ATLANTIC DIVISION: Current Atlantic Division Vice Director
William C. ''Bill'' Edgar, N3LLR, of Bradford, Pennsylvania, will be
moving into the Director's spot. He overcame a challenge from ARRL
Western New York Section Manager Scott J. Bauer, W2LC, by a vote of
2404 to 1527. Edgar takes over from Bernie Fuller, N3EFN, who did
not seek reelection.

Elected to succeed Edgar as Vice Director was Maryland-DC Section
Manager Thomas J. ''Tom'' Abernethy, W3TOM, who outpolled Thomas G.
Valosin, WB2KLD, 2335 to 1579. Abernethy and Edgar ran a joint
campaign for their respective positions and had Fuller's
endorsement.
W3SLK

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2005, 09:08:44 AM »

Paul, were you REALLY[/i] surprised at the outcome?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W3SLK

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2005, 09:11:20 AM »

As an afterthought:
Paul said:
Well Newington's Iraqi-style elections have taken place, where selected candidates were allowed to run and win without silly distractions like real campaign competition.

Give Iraq credit. At least they placed people on the ballot who were from different sides of the aisle.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2005, 09:28:32 AM »

Yep, Iraq style was quite a stretch. Undecided
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2005, 09:33:28 AM »

I posted this previously in the Bandwidth thread; should have been here -

I renewed my ARRL membership 1 year ago for 3 years and am regretting it more every day.  I just sent in my ballot for Atlantic Division Director.  I wrote in Carl WK3C.  So my ballot wil be discarded I suppose.  He was disqualified by the Board because he MIGHT have a FUTURE conflict of interest.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2005, 01:23:59 PM »

Carl also recently ran for election in the IEEE.  He appears to be a VERY technically competent wireless communications professional.  Here is an excerpt from the IEEE 2005 Annual Election Candidate Biographies Statements booklet mailed to me.  (I hope he doesn't mind) :

- - - - -
Carl R. Stevenson
(Nominated by Standards Association)

President and Chief Technology Officer
WK3C Wireless LLC
Emmaus, Pennsylvania, USA.

Mr. Stevenson is President and CTO of WK3C Wireless LLC, a consulting firm specializing in the areas of wireless standards, regulatory affairs, and design services.

He has been involved in the design and development of RF communications systems and equipment for over 35 years.  He is a Fellow of the Radio Club of America, a Senior Member of the IEEE, a member of the IEEE 802 LMSC Executive Committee, Chair of the IEEE 802.22 Working Group, and a Member-at-Large of the IEEE-USA CCIP.

From its inception several yeas ago until November 2004, he has served as Chair of the IEEE 802.18 Radio Regulatory Technical Advisory Group.  He also has previously served as the liaison to the ITU-R for the IEEE’s Sector Membership, Chair of the Wi-Fi Alliance Regulatory Committee, Chair of the Bluetooth SIG Radio Workgroup, and a member of the U.S. Delegation to the World Radiocommunications Conference 2003.
- - - - -

I would presume that he sent something similar to this to the ARRL as part of his biography when he applied to run for the position of Atlantic division director; his “disqualifying” qualifications.  Lord knows we wouldn’t want someone like this in the ARRL when the communications technology field is evolving so rapidly.  Let’s go with the Zippo lighter executive instead.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2005, 09:46:57 AM »

With all this talk about paradigmatic change Roll Eyes  let's not forget the ARRL's governance paradigm.  The "election" results are in for the Atlantic Division.

The Vice Director will become the Director while a Section Manager will become Vice Director.  These were the two annointed candidates and it should be gratifying to all concerned to see such an orderly and sanitary transfer of power. 

Most reassuring was seeing how swiftly ARRL counsel dealt with the untidy stirrings of democracy.   I expect the ballots upon which the write in candidate's name was written were promptly taken from the counting room with tongs to the official burn barrel. 

Now that that unfortunate episode is over, let's all get behind the "elected" candidates so the ARRL can get back to its core business:  the sale of ads, books, contests and certificates... and forcing... oops, I mean fostering, paradigmatic change.

Go Duke![/b]
K1MVP
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2005, 07:30:38 PM »

Carl also recently ran for election in the IEEE.  He appears to be a VERY technically competent wireless communications professional.  Here is an excerpt from the IEEE 2005 Annual Election Candidate Biographies Statements booklet mailed to me.  (I hope he doesn't mind) :

- - - - -
Carl R. Stevenson
(Nominated by Standards Association)

President and Chief Technology Officer
WK3C Wireless LLC

Emmaus, Pennsylvania, USA.

Mr. Stevenson is President and CTO of WK3C Wireless LLC, a consulting firm specializing in the areas of wireless standards, regulatory affairs, and design services.

He has been involved in the design and development of RF communications systems and equipment for over 35 years.  He is a Fellow of the Radio Club of America, a Senior Member of the IEEE, a member of the IEEE 802 LMSC Executive Committee, Chair of the IEEE 802.22 Working Group, and a Member-at-Large of the IEEE-USA CCIP.

From its inception several yeas ago until November 2004, he has served as Chair of the IEEE 802.18 Radio Regulatory Technical Advisory Group.  He also has previously served as the liaison to the ITU-R for the IEEE’s Sector Membership, Chair of the Wi-Fi Alliance Regulatory Committee, Chair of the Bluetooth SIG Radio Workgroup, and a member of the U.S. Delegation to the World Radiocommunications Conference 2003.
- - - - -

I would presume that he sent something similar to this to the ARRL as part of his biography when he applied to run for the position of Atlantic division director; his “disqualifying” qualifications.  Lord knows we wouldn’t want someone like this in the ARRL when the communications technology field is evolving so rapidly.  Let’s go with the Zippo lighter executive instead.

This just proves they are not looking for someone who is really qualfiied, IMO
They,(the ARRL) are just looking for someone who is a "politician" and tows the party line.
Simple as that.
                                           73, K1MVP
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2005, 01:00:51 PM »

Today on the ARRLwebsite[/color][/b] there appears a very interesting article about WK3C.   

Pennsylvania ARRL member honored (Dec 7, 2005) -- Carl Stevenson, WK3C, of Emmaus, Pennsylvania, has been named by Scientific American magazine a policy leader within the 2005 "Scientific American 50." The magazine's annual list, which appears in each December's issue, recognizes outstanding acts of leadership in science and technology during the past year. An ARRL Life Member, Stevenson is president and CTO of WK3C Wireless LLC, which provides consulting services in the areas of wireless standards, regulatory affairs and design. His designation as a policy leader stemmed from his work in developing improved wireless networking standards. Stevenson said he was extremely honored to be recognized for his work in that field. Stevenson also has been named a recipient of the 2005 IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) International Award, which he received in a December 4 presentation. The honor goes annually to an IEEE-SA member for extraordinary contributions to the advancement of the association's goals. IEEE-SA President Donald Heirman cited Stevenson's "invaluable and continuing support . . . as a world leader in global standards development." Stevenson was recently elected to the IEEE Standards Association's Board of Governors for a two-year term that begins January 1. A fellow of the Radio Club of America and a senior IEEE member and chair of the IEEE 802.22 Working Group on Wireless Regional Area Networks, Stevenson has been involved in RF communications systems design and development for more than 35 years.

Go Duke![/b]
WA3VJB
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2005, 01:50:48 PM »

No wonder the BackRoom Boys at Newington wouldn't let him in -- he might cause trouble.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2005, 04:35:22 PM »

Maybe Carl has the skills to help start the next radio organization. The last one has outlived it's usefulness.
K1MVP
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2005, 02:00:36 PM »

No wonder the BackRoom Boys at Newington wouldn't let him in -- he might cause trouble.

Come on, Paul,--like you did not already know that.
                                        73, K1MVP Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015