The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:21:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Numbers Stations  (Read 8034 times)
Ed KB1HVS

« on: November 16, 2005, 08:03:03 AM »

Im sure you guys have heard them. Ever wonder what they are?  http://www.g1lvn.org.uk/wavefiles/numbers_stations.wma

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W1GFH
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 10:12:12 AM »

I always figured they were "bulletin boards" for spies and agents and such. e.g. ---- Boris and Natasha tune in their little Sony SW portable to the appointed numbers station and laboriously decode their instructions from the KGB.

But it's a mystery why the numbers stations are still heard today. You can accomplish the same if not better with a laptop and an AOL account.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:15:39 AM »

Gee I thought it was Irb getting instructions
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 11:22:05 AM »

FINDM OOSEA NDSQU IRREL

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 12:39:28 PM »

Tom said:
FINDM OOSEA NDSQU IRREL

No Tom, find the 'Hush-A-By Bomb' Grin

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 01:00:18 PM »

THere was some lady who worked for DIA and was arrested for spying for Cuba here in DC about 3-4 years ago... she received coded messages via shortwave, so spake the absolutely unassailable Washington Post.

Here;'s a pretty good link to Wired magazine on numbers stations

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,65698,00.html

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 03:15:08 PM »

I just tuned in to the station I was told to listen to. I wrote everything down and after reading my orders I was bewildered. I am suppose to pick up Mexican food on my way home.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W3SLK

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 04:18:25 PM »

John said:
THere was some lady who worked for DIA and was arrested for spying for Cuba here in DC about 3-4 years ago... she received coded messages via shortwave, so spake the absolutely unassailable Washington Post.

As Ollie North refers to it as the Washington com-Post Cheesy

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Joe-N2YR
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 03:02:08 AM »

Probably 99% of this stuff is just T-rash to tie up, overwhelm, spread decrypt assets long enough to where the 1% of real traffic is no longer relevent to a current situation when it is eventually decrypted. As far as the numbers stations go, they will still work very well with a one time decrypt key pad stuffed in a diplomatic bag. The first seveal numbers or letters in the one way transmission would be a primary key to signify which number page of the key pad to use. Simple,cheap,effective no computers. Shocked
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 06:50:50 AM »

When I first heard these stations,I would sometimes listen until I couldnot stand it any longer hoping for a ID. Guess I needed a life.

Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 08:39:23 AM »

When I first heard these stations,I would sometimes listen until I couldnot stand it any longer hoping for a ID. Guess I needed a life.

They did ID.  You just needed a Little Orphan Annie Decoder Ring.

Go Duke![/b]
W3SLK

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 11:07:37 AM »

Son-of-a-bitch! Its a crummy commercial!!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
W2JBL

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 12:11:19 AM »

ocho tres ocho siete cinco uno cuatro dos cinco tres nueve  : W2VJZ WILL BE LISTENING  ON THE OUTSIDE SPEAKER GOD BLESS GLENN
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 12:12:06 AM »

They did ID.  You just needed a Little Orphan Annie Decoder Ring.

Cheesy Grin Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015