The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 09:05:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Check Out My Solid State Semi-Big Mawl Linear for AM  (Read 21242 times)
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 10:28:15 PM »

Hang in there huz-man! I'm heading south...on my way to join the mid-south AM strappers!! We'll give those slopbuckets a run for their money! Wink Wink Wink

Yep. The one we were looking at the fest was built like the proverbial brick crap house! Hope to hear that thing on the air soon. I need some other big AM signals down here in the mid-South land to keep away the slopbuckets!
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2005, 03:36:45 AM »

And don't forget the Collins stuff. Their HF-80 system is awesome!! I bought a complete system (actually 2 systems) a few years back at a local auction. 1500W Amps, with seperate rack supplies. Had to use a moving dolly to move them...over 250 lbs for the supply. Amp uses a PL172(4-1500) for 1500W PEP. I  got the exciters, receivers, preselectors and 2 BIG boxes of all original manuals. Cool stuff. Unfortunatley, the HF-2050 wasn't in the lot. I have it all in 2 6' racks now and hope to get it on this winter. Over a ton of radio gear in 2 racks. now that's manley.

Cheers

Paul
VE7KHz

Sunair was the other company I was trying to think of that makes mil grade comm gear similar to Mackay, Harris and as John mentioned, Transworld. Cubic is another one, and of course Watkins Johnson although I don't think they make exciters and amps. Great stuff! It's great to see the prices on some of this gear coming down to "earthly" levels.... I think it will be a blast to get an all mil/commercial gear station on the air. Very manley, very strapping indeed!  Grin Grin

Nice find Glenn! The photo of of the amp boards looks very much like one John-JN and I were saw at the Gaithersburg fest. I think that one was a Harris. Do you recall JN. I do remember is was very strappping!

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2005, 07:06:51 AM »

Steve, the one we saw at G'burg was a Racal.  I probably shoulda bought that unit, it even had the power supply and was twice as strapping as my TransWorld.  It was only $200, but it was a prototype and had some hanging wires.  Still, it shouldn't be all that complicated.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2005, 08:24:05 AM »

Wow, $200 I'm bummed for a solid state amp.....
 Murphy had a pair of R2368s the last time I was there....Still kicking myself.
I want a Cubic R3150 set up when I get some spare cash. House project has me
P.B. broke for now.
I've wanted a solid state amp ever since the 1 KW brick showed up in the Mot. APP handbook. I wanted to build a big one with 9 300 watt  modules. and derate to 200 watts.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2005, 09:42:15 AM »

Yea, Murphy has some great stuff.. I bought an older Harris receiver from him some years back, the one with the flip switches to change freq.

Here's a Cubic 3150 exciter and receiver that just ended on E-bay... only $3k for both which is not bad considering what they must have cost new..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cubic-CDR-3150-DSP-LF-HF-Receiver-W-Exciter_W0QQitemZ5815306848QQcategoryZ4673QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow, $200 I'm bummed for a solid state amp.....
 Murphy had a pair of R2368s the last time I was there....Still kicking myself.
I want a Cubic R3150 set up when I get some spare cash. House project has me
P.B. broke for now.
I've wanted a solid state amp ever since the 1 KW brick showed up in the Mot. APP handbook. I wanted to build a big one with 9 300 watt  modules. and derate to 200 watts.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2005, 12:28:29 PM »

I saw it Glen and a tear ran down my face.
I've seen schematics of that RX and was quite impressed and couldn't see anything I would want to change.
I have an optional preselector module for that RX 2 stage very well built.

Murphy gave us the run of the place including the back stock room.
It is like going to Dayton under a roof. We spent about 3 hours checking all kinds of cool stuff. He had 3 2368s at the time. one on display and 2 in the back.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015