The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:57:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatars  (Read 187259 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2007, 12:28:25 AM »

Come on, Jack, lighten up.  I'm an old man and I still like Ed, Edd and Eddy every now and then.  There is no purpose to avatars, they're just fun to some of us.   Grin

Rick/K5IAR

Yep, fun is good; fun is healthy for us old guys. The road isn't endless so have fun while you're still driving on it.

* eye_ball.gif (17.95 KB, 80x60 - viewed 2061 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »

Pete,

The wife's cats freak out over the eyeball.

The Japanese girl was nice, also. ........   klc

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2007, 05:54:20 PM »

Pete,

The wife's cats freak out over the eyeball.

The Japanese girl was nice, also. ........   klc

Don't recall having a Japanese girl avatar.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2007, 06:59:31 PM »

" Don't recall having a Japanese girl avatar. "

Thought it wer u , now I can't remember who did have it... 

klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2007, 07:27:51 PM »

There's an online editor too. The site also has a bunch of animations they you can edit/modify.

http://www.gifworks.com/
K9ACT
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2007, 11:54:16 PM »

The ( silly faces ) are called emoticons.

I chose not to dignify them with a Madison Ave name.

At the expense of sounding like a pompous intellectual, expressing emotions with words is part of being literate.  Substituting silly faces for words is dumbing down  literacy.

Kind of like multiple choice questions on an exam.  As in... pick the picture you like, don't bother trying to draw it.

I guess I am a pompous intellectual.

js
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2007, 11:53:39 AM »

Pompous or not, you most certainly are missing the entire point of emoticons. As an intellectual, you'll know that some 80-90% of face-to-face communications is actually conveyed by nonverbal means or other than the actual words (e.g. facial expressions, tone of voice, body position, hand motions). In this forum, all we have are the words, so it is far harder for the poster to convey the full message, and far easier for the reader to misinterpret the words. Emoticons are an attempt, all be it a rather simple one, to help convey some of the tone of voice or emotion behind the words.

Since you didn't already know this, I hearby revoke your Intellectual Club membership card.  [That was a joke, in case you didn't get the tone.]

The ( silly faces ) are called emoticons.

I chose not to dignify them with a Madison Ave name.

At the expense of sounding like a pompous intellectual, expressing emotions with words is part of being literate.  Substituting silly faces for words is dumbing down  literacy.

Kind of like multiple choice questions on an exam.  As in... pick the picture you like, don't bother trying to draw it.

I guess I am a pompous intellectual.

js
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2007, 11:41:25 AM »

Ever wonder how many online flamefests were started by the non-verbal misunderstanding of intent?

IIRC, The emoticon thing started decades ago at IBM, called something different then and didn't involve the little graphics we now see. Being left-handed, I always made my faces 'backwards' (according to right-handed people, that is), and inevitably had someone thinking I was sad. They'd try to read the face like a right-hander, never realizing that the eyes were under the mouth in that case. Some programs later addressed this, at least for a while. Most still do not. It's tough living in a right-handed world of discrimination. (:

The amusing thing now is to see the internet shorthand like we've used for years (IIRC, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, LOL, etc) make the leap to text messaging where kids abbreviate even more words, as a way of being cool and outsmarting the 'rents and teachers.

BTW KC, I think the animated avatar you refer to is/was used by none other than K1JJ.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K9ACT
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2007, 12:26:38 PM »

Since you didn't already know this, I hearby revoke your Intellectual Club membership card.  [That was a joke, in case you didn't get the tone.]

Not sure which is the joke.  The implication that I "did not already know this" is left standing after the joke about revoking my membership.

Not sure how a silly face would solve that problem.

I have known about smileys since before Al Gore invented them and have refused to succumb to dumbing down my writing ever since.  People have been writing letters and expressing themselves without body language since writing was invented.  What makes a computer any different?

Can you imagine "A Tale of Two Cities" in the language of smileys and LOL's?  Instead of describing the anguish of the prisoner next to have his head roll, Dickens just inserts  an unhappy face.

I have many times been misunderstood in my writing and suffered for it but that just forces me to try harder next time.

Sorry, but you are simply rationalizing the dumbing down of our culture.

js

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2007, 12:36:07 PM »

Jack, I just don't think many (most?) of us see our internet exchanges as literary works. When you spend a fair amount of time online, it gets old fast. We replace much of our other communication via Land Line and (to our detriment) over the airwaves with this.

The biggest shortcoming with respect to intent comes in open posts like this. I could bullshit with you, make a sarcastic remark or whatever else, and you'd likely see it as such since we've spoken voice-to-voice a number of times. Someone else viewing it could read in an entirely different meaning.

And especially when dealing with a differing opinion from your own, most of us want the other party to know it's nothing personal, no harm intended, and so on. Just a different view.

I'm not for dumbing down anymore than you are, but I know from experience that I can be misunderstood online. Even through email!

BTW, this is a cat  =^..^= and so is this  >^oo^<  Just in case it ever comes up in conversation.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Rick K5IAR
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2007, 12:49:52 PM »

There is one thing for sure.  We all have our opinions, likes and dislikes and we all have our own style of expression.  Everyone is certainly entitled to exercise their expression freely and without condemnation as long as it's not detrimental to others.  I like using "smileys", "avatars" and the like to express my feelings and hopefully prevent someone from misunderstanding my words.  Jack, and I'm sure others, prefer not to use these tools and that's great.  Thankfully, we have a choice. 

Two cents worth from a not so literate guy...
Rick/K5IAR
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2007, 01:13:42 PM »

Actually, as a moderator, and one that by title has to read every post on this board, having "visual expressions" within the text can sometime clarify the actual tone of the responder. Without them, it is sometimes difficult to understand what the poster is really trying to say (i.e. a troll, flaming, perceived personal attack, or someone just under the influence of too much Friday night beer, etc.).

K9ACT
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2007, 07:49:06 PM »

Jack, I just don't think many (most?) of us see our internet exchanges as literary works.

I certainly can't argue with that but there is no reason why they could not or should not be.  Just because it is so easy compared with letters of the good old days, does not mean we should dumb it down.  Note I said should.... it is clearly the option of the writer.

I judge people by the way they write and what they say just as I judge people in person.

The good news is that the folks who make computers still see fit to provide spell checkers.  If an emoticon is worth a thousands words than why not just a rough approximation of the spelling and not worry about that either?

I don't expect to win this war but it's fun to vent my spleen.

js
K9ACT
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2007, 12:07:50 AM »

Jack, the 8000 rig is working so well that I'd think you would be one happy camper!?

So, what does that 'text speak' stuff do for your spleen, IIRC, BTW, IMHO, LOL, etc.

Being happy all the time is boring.

Those are some interesting bits of text speak that could provide fodder all by themselves for a dissertation.

I use BTW all the time because I say it quite frequently and it's easier to type and a verbatim abbreviation.

I once asked what IIRC meant but have since forgotten.

IMHO is an oxymoron because people don't have humble opinions.

LOL is right up there with a smiley... inane, bad grammar and conjures up images of a nut house.

My spleen is where I keep all my nasty thoughts about other people and it needs to be vented now and then so I don't become nasty too.

Great night on 80 meters.  Tested my semi-automatic CQer twice and connected both times.  VE3JM and KA1ZGC ... sort of reminded me of trolling for salmon... "two in the box".

js

Rick K5IAR
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »

...it needs to be vented now and then so I don't become nasty too.

Geez Jack.. we sure wouldn't want you to become nasty too! Grin  (Smiley inserted to assure you this is a joke)

Rick/K5IAR
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2008, 04:02:43 PM »

If I remember correctly "JJ" had the jiggly-wiggly Japanese girl avatar.

" Don't recall having a Japanese girl avatar. "

Thought it wer u , now I can't remember who did have it... 

klc

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2008, 02:20:49 PM »

I changed my avatar to the new smaller dimensions. I would like to request that the size of the avatar be regulated slightly differently.

I request the avatar 'size' be primarily defined by the size of the file rather than by the size in pixels.

The dimensional size is one thing, and does not affect bandwidth for members on dialup.

The file size is another thing, and this is what affects the bandwidth for members on dialup.
This is probably the reason behind the physical size limits given in the topic.

I request that avatars be allowed to be the old large dimensional size, as long as the data size of the file is kept to a certain value.

Here are the examples I am illustrating to prove this can work. Both are about the same file data size, but one is bigger and more viewable.

The file "what to try_s.jpg" is 100x119 pixels and the file size is 8108 bytes.
The file "what to try_s1.jpg" is 150x176 pixels and the file size is only 7698 bytes.

The file that is smaller data-wise, is viewably larger and much more viewable.

The small-looking file that conforms to the dimensional size rules is actually taking more data space on the system and downloads.

I hope this makes sense and is reasonable. I would like to ask what is the data size limit the management is trying to achieve.

On another BBS, the rule is "its width can be no greater than 160 pixels, the height no greater than 160 pixels, and the file size no more than 63 KB.".

The other board's file size of 63K might not be appropriate here, but I suggest that a 20KB limit in logical file size and a perhaps 160x160 limit on image size would be quite reasonable for dialup use and also allow nice looking avatars, especially for those running high resolution. 20K is not much, and once in the member's cache, does not have to be downloaded again during the same session.

The third file, the PNG file, conforms to the "100 pixel wide" rule, but notice how much data it requires - 16796 bytes.
This example is to point out that those wishing/willing to do a little 'art' with their avatar have many options to comply to a byte-wise file size rule, while also having also goodly-sized avatar.

Thanks for reading,

Patrick J.

* what to try_s.jpg (7.92 KB, 100x119 - viewed 2170 times.)

* what to try_s1.jpg (7.52 KB, 150x176 - viewed 2051 times.)

* what to try_s.png (16.4 KB, 100x118 - viewed 2114 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2008, 10:31:35 PM »

Dear administrators,

I guess this flew in under the radar so I would like to revisit it.

I request the avatar 'size' be primarily defined by the size of the file rather than by the size in pixels.

The dimensional size (height x width) is one thing, and does not affect bandwidth for members on dialup.

The file size (K bytes) is another thing, and this is exactly what affects the bandwidth for members on dialup.

Please see the above post for my full request, examples, and reasoning.

Thank you,
PJ

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2008, 12:34:43 AM »

PJ,
Interesting point and I would agree that they be allowed to be limited by file size.

If it is a file size/transfer issue then even your largest is smaller then some of the others on this page. And it is far smaller in pixels and bytes then some of the fancy sig files gifs that show up. (Which I enjoy)

If it is cosmetic issue i.e. a uniform piece of real estate then that is up to Garys taste and preference I guess.

I like to change mine and there are times when I crop or shrink it, I loose the interest of the pic. So yes if we can go back to larger I'd like to see it.

There are other avatars I see here that I wish were larger as I wonder what they are but can't see the detail

Thanks for raising it again

Carl

/KPD

* condi.jpg (12.27 KB, 400x297 - viewed 2048 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
ka3zlr
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2008, 04:07:25 AM »

I find it effectively a version of Shorthand, not necessarily a dumbing down.

Considering the early days of networking, a Plus.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »

Oh Goody.

A converstation in which I can add to the general din, none of the specific points and from whom will be remembered very long by most of us.

I use smiley's 'cause they're fun.

I use the King's English when it's necessary.

I(I, i, ...) now declare that avitars are lots of fun too.

They show personality and are changeable;  can show mood, pride, latest interest.... you name. it.

But!  I try not to use HBS* grammar whenever possible, vis., "actually, absolutely, going forward, clearly," etc.

"Clearly, Absolutely, and Actually" seem to be delimiters used by the herd to show "inness."  Can't think of too many instances where those words are useful in my life  Grin     ....but I do catch myself using them occasionally.

(* sorry, added later, - Harvard Biz School)

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2008, 09:34:13 PM »

HBS continued a long tradition..

Behold!
Forsooth,  (oe meaning)
Indeed,
Verily verily I say unto thee?

Bur what about icon logical size vs. pixel area?

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2008, 10:24:46 AM »

Oooops,

You're asking us something technical and trying to bring us back on topic.
Are either allowed here?   Grin

Yeah, I think avitars ought to be somewhat larger, vis, Miata.net in its olden days, say at least 140 wide by 160 vertical if the images are "moderately" compressed JPG's. 

Ya don't want to get too wide as it eats into the message text area; at which expansion point is it no longer an avitar?

RICK  *W3RSW*
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »

The moderators are strangely silent about the request

I guess that means "No"?

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2008, 11:24:38 AM »

It's a difference of a few pixels. Gary is busy with real life. Carry on.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015