The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:59:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gonset G-76 project questions  (Read 9170 times)
W3CRR
« on: October 06, 2005, 09:02:15 PM »

I'm embarking on a Gonset G-76 restoration.  Actually, I've already recapped it (not much to do), checked out resistors and ordered some missing tubes. (Most of the intact tubes are the original Gonset brand and check out fine).

I do need to build a power supply for it, but will probably modify my spare Heathkit HP-23 to accomodate the job.  It looks like I'll have to add a relay and drop the HV with about an 800 ohm resistor.

I'm having trouble locating a female Jones plug to fit the power connector on the rig, however.  Do you know of any sources?

I plan to use the transceiver for some light duty AM. I currently use my modified Collins 32S-3 for that and plan to restore a 32V-2 this winter, if possible, but I thought the little Gonset would be fun to use in the meantime..

If anybody's restored and/or uses a G-76, please pass along any hints, tips and impressions, if you will.  I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks and 73,

Craig
W3CRR
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 10:05:06 PM »

Craig

If nothing turns up, Mouser has them depending on the number of pins.  No 15 pin stuff available now, but the 12/8/6 etc. can be bought. 

www.mouser.com

Search the site for Cinch  It is listed as Cinch Jones.

My paper catalog has them on page 905 and 899.

W3CRR
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 09:31:38 AM »

Many thanks for the info about Mouser.  I buy almost all of my caps, resistors and supplies from them.

Unfortunately, they do not have the 10-pin Jones female connector i need.  That item, actually, has been discontinued and cannot be ordered from any of the major vendors.  HOWEVER, I was able to locate a source for them -- and other difficult to find parts:

http://www.electronicplus.com/

Thanks again and 73,
Craig
W3CRR
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 12:14:44 PM »

Didn't know the G76 needed a 10 pin.  Cinch discontinued them along with the15 pin and others.  But, thanks for that link.  They have a lot of stuff.

Jim
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 03:13:00 PM »

Crag,
       A local electronics store here in Baltimore has the connectors on the shelf, I just bought 2 of them last week for my second G-76 project. They were a little pricey at around $8 each, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.The store is called Baynesville Electronics and is located in Towson, Md.. I restored 1 a few years ago and liked it so much that I just recently bought a second one. With a few simple audio mods they make pretty good audio in both directions. Bill (kd0hg) has published some simple receiver mods that work quite well for them. They are in Electric Radio. I have done Bill's receiver mods, and some audio mods of my own, to the first one and am very happy with it's performance. It is basically a ranger and a HQ-110 stuffed into a nice compact package. They are a very neat little package when working properly. I will be starting on the second one very shortly. However If you plan to run it mobile ( as I plan to do with the second one) and yours is one of the earlier ones definately
 consider running the transmitter with crapstal control as the earlier vfo's were very sensitive to bumps and vibration.

73 and good luck
                                                            de KB3AHE

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015