The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:56:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Triac Light Dmmer Sub for Variac?  (Read 3165 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: October 02, 2005, 02:14:52 PM »

The Variac that I use to regulate the input voltage to a full wave rectifier filter PS that I use to charge the deep cycle batts that run my GRC-19 and ART-13 has crapped out.  Was wondering if a SCR dimmer control could be used as a substiture, at least until I either get a mil spec 28V 50A DC supply. or another Variac.  Any opinions?  My gut feeling is that the SCR dimmer is a bad idea, at least from an RFI standpoint, and have a feeling a transformer/rectifier PS would not be happy being driven by one.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 03:35:14 PM »

Chris,
I don't have a concrete answer for you as I've never tried using a light dimmer to vary AC voltage  for anything except on a lightbulb or a soldering iron (purely resistive devices).  A light dimmer does chop the AC waveform up and hence the hash one hears in the RF spectrum.  I can't imagine the chopped up waveform can be good for the rectifiers in the PS. I would think they'd be "seeing" continuous switching transients.  The big question would be is how big would those transients be and if the rectifiers can tolerate them.  The transformer might filter some of that junk out but I don't know for sure.

Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015