The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:41:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microphones for AM  (Read 4390 times)
VE1IDX

« on: September 13, 2005, 11:38:58 PM »

Just out of curiousity I was wondering what some of you guys use for a microphone when running AM.I know some of you are running homebrew stuff and some even have old broadcast TX'ers and I was wondering what you use with them.I started to run my DX-60 with a D-104 but my voice lacks lows and it was crisp but not pleasent or natural sounding.I changed the series capacitors in the audio chain from microphone input to modulator and that helped but I was still not satisfied.Then I found a real gem tucked away several years ago that I had forgotten about.A buddy of mine that had a  band gave me a microphone because he had dropped it during a show one night and it never worked afterwards.He checked the continuity and said the element was open and maybe I could change it out or whatever.It sat in the basement for a couple years and just about a month ago I dug it out.I checked the inner workings and found that the wire was broken off inside but the insulation was being held by solder resin.It looked as if it was still soldered in place but it was not.The microphone is a Sennheisser MD-421 professional studio microphone and has five differant EQ settings to roll off the bass notes.I keep it set in the middle position and with the DX-60 everyone says it is broadcast like in quality.Even one fellow that I worked with in broadcasting for 20 years and taught me the ropes says it sounds like I am right in the room with him.I also have an old  RCA ribbon mike that I may experiment with in the future.It is about as big than my FT-857 rice box!Anyway just curious what you guys run in the audio chain up to the transmitter input.

Learn from others mistakes.You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
kc2ifr
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 05:28:31 AM »

The 421 is a great mic for AM. Gary, W2INR uses one and he sounds great. I use an RE27 and love it. Keep in mind that the mic u use has to be terminated correctly.....high Z or low Z...depending on the mic. A lot of other factors will determine how u sound but starting with a good mic is the way to go. Im sure you will get a lot of responses to this question.
Bill
ve6pg

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 06:59:50 AM »

I'M SURE THIS WILL BRING ALOT OF RESPONSES...MY VIKING 2 IS TIED TO A SMALL OUTBOARD MIKE EQUALIZER..I ADJUST THIS TO MY TASTES,AND I'VE BEEN TOLD IT SOUNDS GREAT..I'M USING AN INEXPENSIVE HI-Z DYNAMIC MIKE,ON A BOOM,WITH A WINDSCREEN. THIS IS YOUR TYPICAL HI-BALL TYPE,AND ALTHOUGH IT ISNT AS SENSITIVE AS A CRYSTAL MIKE,IT DOES GIVE ME MORE BASS. I LIKE IT. IT REALLY ENDS UP BEING WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD,AND YOUR OWN TASTES. BUILD A SMALL MONITOR,(NU9N WEB PAGE),AND USE IT WHEN YOU ARE TRANSMITTING.THIS WILL GIVE YOU A PRETTY GOOD IDEA AS TO HOW YOU SOUND...TIM..SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 05:20:43 PM »

Yep

I use the RE 27 as my main mike and the 421 as my guest mic. Both sound great.

But there are many mikes out there that will perform and sound just fine on the airwaves.

.There are several $100.00 class mikes that can sound just as good.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
K1KFI
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 09:45:10 PM »

The thing about microphones is that you really want to find one that works for you. The only way to do that is to try a few. My most favorite of all time is an RCA BK-4B, a ribbon mic. Johnny Carson used one in his early days on tv. I used one in my first job as a newscaster on commercial am. Since I can't afford/find one I went for the Beringher dual cariod condensor. I use that with a compressor and limiter, with a soft knee(important)! If you have the opportunity to try different types of microphones all the better! Otherwise try to find one that has specs that will represent your voice in a natural way. Then tweak as necessary!

Cliff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015