The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:47:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SP600 HELP...  (Read 3187 times)
ve6pg

« on: September 08, 2005, 10:00:25 AM »

..hi from tim...i've got a sp600-j,(not jx),that requires my attention. here is the problem(s). this receiver is an early one,it doesnt have the crystal bank. it has a hole,in the panel,in the area of where the switches are in the jx models. the switch that was there,isnt. on the panel it says "HFO" "M" "S".ok,master/slave. on the panel there is a memo that this receiver has been modified for diversity by TMC...there are 4 wires,hanging in space,not connected to anything just aft of where the HFO switch should be.. colours are:black/yellow/red/orange. other concern,is on the rf deck,near the 6C4,is a feed thru-capacitor,that isnt connected to anything. my sp600 info doesnt deal with this kind of arrangement.the receiver powers up,and tubes are all good. the only thing i hear is,local broadcast stations,low volume,as you would hear witha crystal receiver...any thoughts on these 4 wires,and the feed-thru capacitor?...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 01:37:47 PM »

Tim -

You've nailed the issue, this is one of the TMC-modified models, so information won't be covered on standard manuals. The info is out there, but not as easy to find.

I'd suggest speaking with Les Locklear, he's one of the leading experts on the SP-600 and its many variations. If anyone can help you locate the necessary info, Les can. And although he's a list member, he's likely occupied with issues at home. He lives in Gulfport, Mississippi, one of the more heavily-damaged areas down south. He made it through fine, but probably isn't going to be spending as much time online for at least the near future.

I'll send him a note about it so he can log in and reply at some point.

~ Todd  'KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
ve6pg

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 11:23:34 PM »

..ok..checked the voltages on those 4 wires:..red-150vdc;black-gnd;yellow-6vac;orange-nothing found..no plate voltage on 6c4,in the hfo. there is filament voltage tho...feed-thru appears loose,it wont come out,but will pull up,then stop. is there supposed to be voltage from the bare wire,coming thru the feed-thru?..it appears to me,that this wire runs to a switch,on a panel just aft of the main front panel.here there is a switch,that goes to the crystal bank(on the JX),and to the plate of v3.i'm not reading any voltage,off this feed-thru..ideas?..tim...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
VA3ES - Piss-Weak Ed
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 11:09:58 AM »

I have the identical receiver here.  I believe that Bill, KC2IFR has dealt with these.  He might know.  You can PM him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015