The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:32:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 Classic Rock Bands  (Read 68643 times)
VE3BEE
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2005, 08:56:45 PM »

King Crimson is still alive and kicking...One of my all time favourite bands for sure...Love that mellotron playing especialy on the Alblum "In the Wake of Poseidon" Another great band was "Ten Years After"..

I remember back in the late 70s, a friend and I were ridding our bikes along the Niagara River Parkway.  We were coming up too that great big Ionizer (ya know the one which causes some people too climb the rail and jump!!!). Well up ahead we spotted what looked like the Partridge Family bus, so we pulled up too its side the door opened up and 4 individuals got off the bus.. Well my friend looked at me and said What the F@#$% are these people..Ripped shirts, spiked hair, chains and boy were they stoned...Looked too the side of the bus and it read "Sex Pistols World Tour"  Well I guess it was their first and last..About two years latter the punk rock movement started in my High School...God Save the Queen...
VE3BEE
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2005, 09:08:45 PM »

Mind you, I grew up in a small town called Sunbury, here in NEPA. It was turning into quite the 'Coal Town' retirement center. Imagine my surprise when I came home from leave from the Navy and there on the marquis of the Strand Theatre, "Live in Concert Wendy O. Williams and The Plasmatics!" What is even funnier is that one of the guys I work with was cruising into Sunbury for some kind of job and he came upon this weirded-out Cadillac stuffed with all kinds of band equipment. Sure enough, its Wendy O. at the wheel. She sees him staring at this contraption so she does what any good punker does: She flips him the finger. Not too many people can aspire to being flipped off by Wendy O. Williams Grin

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2005, 09:27:38 PM »

A few years ago I was renting a sound system for the elementary school walkathon when I noticed some GIANT speakers in the warehouse where I was picking up the stuff.  What are those I asked.  "Oh, they're from the Fillmore.  When they closed it I got the speakers."  I stood in silent reverence for awhile.  I wonder how many dB of hearing I lost to those speakers -- Led Zepplin first album tour, same thing for the home town band, Santana, the Dead, of course, bands nobody remembers -- Moby Grape, for example, all this through the speakers.   

Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2005, 06:23:17 AM »

Where a lot of music came from.

Go Duke![/b]
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2005, 08:46:25 AM »

Yes, King Crimson is still making music. (My all time #1 favorite band) The band has gone through quite a few personnel changes over the years. Founding member/guitarist Robert Fripp is the only original member left from the old days. They're still doing the concert tour scene, they still sound incredible. Don't expect to hear their old material in concert though, they only play the more recent stuff. There is a band called "21st Century Schizoid Band" made up of previous members of King Crimson from the first 4 albums that play the old material on tour. They really do it justice!...

I love music that dares to be different!  Cool Cool Cool

whatever happened to King Crimson?

W3SLK

« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2005, 09:43:58 PM »

Hmmm, last I knew Robert Fripp was doing sessions and fusion jazz stuff. That I got from the one guitar handbook I have. 20th Century Schizoid Man and Court of the Crimson King are my favorites. I'm kind of curious which direction Robert has them going. Its only Rock & Roll music.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2005, 02:21:45 AM »

Hmmm, last I knew Robert Fripp was doing sessions and fusion jazz stuff. That I got from the one guitar handbook I have. 20th Century Schizoid Man and Court of the Crimson King are my favorites. I'm kind of curious which direction Robert has them going. Its only Rock & Roll music.

If you have the Earthbound record, then you know just how loud King Crimson can be. A poorly recorded live album with the best version of 21st Century Schizoid man !

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2005, 10:00:26 AM »

I don't recall Fripp doing any "fusion jazz" stuff, I guess the latest incarnation of Crimson might be labeled that way because it defys the record company catagory crap. Maybe the author was talking about his involvement with "The League Of Crafty Guitarists"

Their latest album is called "The Power To Believe" and it's incredible. Check out their website for the latest info....

http://www.king-crimson.com/

Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2005, 10:04:53 AM »

Oh yea, Earthbound certainly was an awful recording, was out of print for many years but now available again re-issued on CD.

My favorite live Crimson recording is the album "USA" recorded in Asbury Park NJ with the best all time Crimson lineup (IMO)

If you have the Earthbound record, then you know just how loud King Crimson can be. A poorly recorded live album with the best version of 21st Century Schizoid man
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2005, 10:05:58 AM »

-
W1UX
Contributing

When ya see a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2005, 02:08:59 PM »

Great Jazz..... man..... that's the ticket! WLIU 88.3 is a good 24/7 jazz station... too few buried among the EZ-listening stuff.... 88.3 BGO Newark might be a bit far, another super one.....in the car it's practically all CD listening., Fats, Dizzy, Lionel, Slam, Bird, Hinton, Zutty, Low Reed, they travels wid me allatime, ya....never lonesome Smiley

What's this "rock" schsschtuff everybody is into dese days? Time to git back to dem 12 string blues gitars......

Al "Al" (Al)  W1UX..... over, OVER!!! anyone OUT THERE? hi hi ha ha hee hee ho ho haw haw DAMMIT! Where'd that FLY come from?!?!?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2005, 05:02:08 PM »

Rock jazz swing folk all better than that square wave monkey noise no tune crap out there today.

How you gonna run from the man wit your crotch below your knees.
How you gonna shoot straight wit your gun sideways

BETTER DEAD THAN DISCO!  Wow that lasted.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2005, 11:53:57 AM »

Waddya mean? you homies aren't into hip-hop and rap??  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

W3SLK

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2005, 06:51:15 PM »

Glen said:
Waddya mean? you homies aren't into hip-hop and rap??

Rap is for people that can't carry a tune and just want to talk about having sex and knocking off cops. (Sorry, didn't mean to get politically carried away) BTW Glen, nice avatar. As Rich Measure says(sort of), "Tubes with handles rule!"

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2005, 11:56:49 AM »

Technically, rap isn't music... it's poetry put to rhythms.... (sucks no matter how you define it)

Yea Mike, that YC-156 is a strapping tube indeed!  Cheesy My first project after I move to NC will be to build a linear amplifier using that tube. (for amplifying AM of course!)

Ya wanna see a REAL manley linear amp using the YC-156? check this out....

http://www.wv7u.com/yc156amp/yc156amp.html

Glen said:
Waddya mean? you homies aren't into hip-hop and rap??

Rap is for people that can't carry a tune and just want to talk about having sex and knocking off cops. (Sorry, didn't mean to get politically carried away) BTW Glen, nice avatar. As Rich Measure says(sort of), "Tubes with handles rule!"
w1guh
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2005, 01:23:21 PM »

Best concert I know of, well, except for that "small event" in upstate New York in '69, would be the Moody Blues playing at the U. of Maryland in, I think, 1969.  I wasn't there, a fellow Moodies fan was there.  They played for 4:45 (hours) and played every song from every album to date.  And I know there's some of you who know what concerts in those days were like.

BTW (wouldn't be a true fan if I didn't promote)

Three of the Moodies, Graeme, Justin, and John, are still touring and sounding as good, maybe even better, than ever.  Ray has stopped (I hope for just a while).  Their Strange Times album is worth seeking out.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2005, 02:20:04 PM »

M.B. good parking music. I seem to remember a double date with a ham buddyand 2 girlfriends parking behind an old factory during a heavy snow storm. We were parking and partying then all of a sudden a train came chugging buy about 5 feet from the front of the car
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2005, 04:27:09 PM »

Now there's a band that likes their Mellotron's! (Like Crimson, )  Grin Grin

Best concert I know of, well, except for that "small event" in upstate New York in '69, would be the Moody Blues playing at the U. of Maryland in, I think, 1969.  I wasn't there, a fellow Moodies fan was there.  They played for 4:45 (hours) and played every song from every album to date.  And I know there's some of you who know what concerts in those days were like.

BTW (wouldn't be a true fan if I didn't promote)

Three of the Moodies, Graeme, Justin, and John, are still touring and sounding as good, maybe even better, than ever.  Ray has stopped (I hope for just a while).  Their Strange Times album is worth seeking out.

wa2zdy
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »

. . .Todd Rundgrand is tops. 

Three days after I graduated from HS (1979) my brother and I went to "Music In The Meadowlands I."  (As far as I know there was no II or III, etc.)  On the bill in the hot sun at Giants Stadium were Poco, Todd Rundgren, The Outlaws and Boston.  We were there to see Boston.  (Sholz actually had a pipe organ on the stage!)

Poco came on for about a half hour at 12.30pm.  Then a stage change followed by Todd Rundgren.  Then it rained.  And rained.  And hell hath no fury like the rain cometh down upon those sitting on the field with no seats at Giants Stadium.  And then it rained.  Todd played for at least 2.5 hours in ever increasing rain.  It got to where folks were throwing things at him on the stage and yet he played. (It was apparent that almost nobody was there to see Todd.)  But there was ONE lonely banner hanging from the top mezzanine that said "Tood is God." 

Todd is not God.

After he played forever, we were roasted, then drowned, and beyond tired of Todd.  When he left the stage, the sun returned and we were subsequently re-roasted.  The Outlaws played a great show as did Boston.  But I will forever remember that banner.  And whenever I see or hear Todd Rundgren, my family will tell you to this day, I mumble "Todd is not God."

My top ten bands . . . hmmmm . ..

ELO
Pink Floyd
Zepp
The Who
ELP
Yes
Allman Bros
Marshall Tucker
Outlaws
Skynrd

and ok, Airplane/Starship too for #11.  I saw them at the 4H fair in Mobile in 87.

Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2005, 03:21:46 PM »

Todd Rudgren has been in my top ten favorites for a very long time.

Definately in my top ten concerts... I saw Todd Rudgren in concert just two years ago (PNC Center in NJ) What an excellent concert!, Incredible song writer and singer, great guitar player. It was a double bill with Hall and Oates. First Todd did his set, then Hall & Oates. Then the last hour of the concert Todd joined Hall and Oates on stage and they played and sang each other's songs! What a memorable night!  Cheesy Cheesy

wa2zdy
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2005, 08:03:50 PM »

What counts is that YOU  enjoyed it.  I'm glad you did. 

Ok, I'll even confess to REALLY liking "Hello It's Me."
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2005, 08:26:52 PM »

Robert Plant and Steve Winwood have new CDs out and both are very, very good. Well worth buying.

Like Zeppelin or not, I don't think ther has ever been a rock vocalist that could wail like Robert Plant could in his prime. And no one any better at rock guitar than Page. Just a bunch of copycats of his riffs since.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015