The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:58:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 Classic Rock Bands  (Read 68533 times)
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2005, 02:47:49 PM »

The Sonics Cool
MC 5  Cool
Curved Air Cool
Captain Beefheart Cool
Pearls Before Swine Cool 
Fugs Cool
Stooges Cool
Velvet Underground Cool
Mothers Of Invention Cool
The Anamals Cool
**punk**
Bus Load Of Nuns Cool
Rash Of Stabbings Cool
Richard Hell and the Voidoids Cool
Klark Kent Cool
Flipper Cool
The No Saints Cool
The Cramps Cool
Slo Dive Cool
Killing Joke Cool
Black Flag Cool

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2005, 02:50:06 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

That's quite a story!!!

Besides the guitar, I heard he also played wind chimes...

Paul;

That photo looks like Osama Bin Laden with a guitar! Shocked Shocked

Very perceptive of you, Glenn.  It's a little known fact that in the very early 1980s, Osama was frontman for a Marvin Pontiac tribute band.  His unique physical resemblance to Pontiac made him a logical choice to front the band which was called Morphin Panic-attack.   Osama went by the stage name Coupe deVille and the band used to travel to their gigs in a renovated Oscar Meyer Wienermobile. 

Then suddenly Osama got religion. After he demanded the band abandon the Wienermobile because it wasn't Halal, the other members kicked him out.  Osama has had it in for Americans ever since.   

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2005, 02:59:55 PM »

The Sonics Cool
MC 5  Cool
Curved Air Cool
Captain Beefheart Cool
Pearls Before Swine Cool 
Fugs Cool
Stooges Cool
Velvet Underground Cool
Mothers Of Invention Cool
The Anamals Cool
**punk**
Bus Load Of Nuns Cool
Rash Of Stabbings Cool
Richard Hell and the Voidoids Cool
Klark Kent Cool
Flipper Cool
The No Saints Cool
The Cramps Cool
Slo Dive Cool
Killing Joke Cool
Black Flag Cool

Ed, I forgot about the Stooges. Great call.  Iggy Pop one my alltime favorites.  Just heard an interview with him this afternoon on my way home from work on the local college station. They played aat least 30 minutes of the Stooges too.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2005, 03:55:49 PM »

Hey Paul;

A photo of the bass player for Morphin Panic-Attack.

* irv bass.jpg (20.02 KB, 300x190 - viewed 782 times.)
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2005, 04:03:40 PM »

Hey Paul;

A photo of the Morphin Panic attack bass player....

Wow!  A suitable for framing picture of Mervis Maypo!  Wasn't that in Tiger Beat a few years ago?  You know Mervis taught Flea everything he knows. 

Go Duke![/b]
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2005, 09:26:23 PM »

Yeah man, who can forget such Ultimate Spinach classics as "Hip Death Goddess" or "Mind Flowers". How about Porcupine Tree? Anyone listen to these guys besides me? Or who remembers "50 Foot Hose" or "Joe Bird and The Field Hippies" or "Blues Project"?

........Larry
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2005, 09:47:19 PM »

Hey, JOE! I know you're reading this...What are *your* top-ten rock bands of all time?
C'mon, don't be shy.
LOL!

-Bill/HG/Boulder Co
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2005, 09:50:39 PM »

Yeah man, who can forget such Ultimate Spinach classics as "Hip Death Goddess" or "Mind Flowers". How about Porcupine Tree? Anyone listen to these guys besides me? Or who remembers "50 Foot Hose" or "Joe Bird and The Field Hippies" or "Blues Project"?

........Larry

Good golly, Larry....Ultimate Spinach???
Anyone from that era that actually remembers them really wasn't there, so to speak.
I mean, I completely forgot about that band.

What about The Peanut Butter Conspiracy?  Ha? Ha?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2005, 10:47:29 PM »

Those easties forgot (I think), The Byrds. Not only were they great as a band (although not as huge a commercial success as some of the others listed), but they influenced (directly with former members forming/joining new bands and/or indirectly with their music), the like of the Flying Burrito Brothers, the Eagles, CSN, Rolling Stones, and even the Beatles. Their influence even went into country music (Emmylou Harris, Pure Prairie League, The New Riders Of The Purple Sage, Vince Gill, Merle Haggard, etc). They started the psychedelic rock thing with Eight Miles High way before the Beatles or Hendrix.
W1JS

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2005, 11:10:34 PM »

Scary.... I actually have the vinyl of the Ultimate Spinach, 2 lp's of the Beacon Street Union and a few Pearls Before Swine albums (anyone remember "Oh, Dear Miss Morse" ?  "dididahdit dididah ..." )  Wink

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
John Holotko

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2005, 02:08:11 AM »

You can count me in on this. Here are a few more that I highly reccoment

1) Chimes of Freedom
2) Stuck Inside a Mobile with the...
3) Visions of Johanna
4) Rainy Day Women
5) Subterrainian Homesick Blues
6) Sad Eyes lady of the Lowlands
7) Tombstone Blues
Cool My Back pages

and, one of my all time favorites...

9) x = (Love - 0) / no limit

Ah yes, then there the humorous songs:

Motorpsycho Nightmare

When I first heard that song I was in stitches. I mean that guy had literally put me on the floor laughing so hard I couldn't stand.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W1QWT

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2005, 11:46:55 AM »

Wow! A 5 string bass. I don't see them too often. I know Fender makes them. I am not sure who the bassist is but he looks a little like a guy who played for the garage band, "The Chimes". Cheesy

Regards
Q, W1QWT

* irb.jpg (20.02 KB, 300x190 - viewed 753 times.)

Regards, Q, W1QWT
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2005, 12:25:45 PM »

Either that or the garage band "The Constitutions"  Shocked

............"jamming on the outside speaker..."

I am not sure who the bassist is but he looks a little like a guy who played for the garage band, "The Chimes". Cheesy
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2005, 03:32:54 PM »

A top ten list of hits by the "Chimes"

1 "Maple Syrup On My Modulator Tubes"
2 "The Jesus and Jefferson Rag"
3 "My Name's Not Irwin!"
4 "Champion Of The Sky Pilot"
5 "You Only Love Me For My Outside Speaker"
6 "The No-Net Boogie"
7 "The Treason Tango"
8 "Liberty Corner Lament"
9 "Does your Chewing Gum Loose It's Flavor On The DX-100 Overnight"
10 "A Boy Named Splatter"

Wow! A 5 string bass. I don't see them too often. I know Fender makes them. I am not sure who the bassist is but he looks a little like a guy who played for the garage band, "The Chimes". Cheesy

Regards
Q, W1QWT
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2005, 04:28:14 PM »

A top ten list of hits by the "Chimes"

1 "Maple Syrup On My Modulator Tubes"
2 "The Jesus and Jefferson Rag"
3 "My Name's Not Irwin!"
4 "Champion Of The Sky Pilot"
5 "You Only Love Me For My Outside Speaker"
6 "The No-Net Boogie"
7 "The Treason Tango"
8 "Liberty Corner Lament"
9 "Does your Chewing Gum Loose It's Flavor On The DX-100 Overnight"
10 "A Boy Named Splatter"

And who could forget....
11  "Celibacy & Syrup"
12  "How Much is That Doggy in the Pond?" 
13  "I'm Not Herb"
14  "The Night They Tore the Outside Speaker Down"

Go Duke![/b]
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2005, 08:25:54 PM »

14 "The Night They Tore the Outside Speaker Down"

Now, THAT'S a good one! (apologies to The Band)
Thanks for the laff, Paul.

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2005, 02:33:13 AM »

Maybe we should morph the conversation into all time greatest concerts we ever went to.  Recently my wife Patty overheard  the young butcher at the local Whole Foods wax poetic about Jimi Hendrix.  When it was Patty's turn at the counter she said "I saw him at the Berkeley Community Theater."  This young guy was in awe.  Isn't that great? 

Jon
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2005, 06:29:51 AM »

........Larry

Country Joe And The Fish?

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2005, 07:08:36 AM »

Maybe we should morph the conversation into all time greatest concerts we ever went to.  Recently my wife Patty overheard  the young butcher at the local Whole Foods wax poetic about Jimi Hendrix.  When it was Patty's turn at the counter she said "I saw him at the Berkeley Community Theater."  This young guy was in awe.  Isn't that great? 

Jon

My first concert and most memorable:
Pink Floyd Animals tour, Madison Square Garden.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2005, 10:28:09 AM »

Jon

I saw Hendrix in a fairly small standup Chicago venue. The two things I remember most about that concert are him setting his guitar on fire at the end of the show and the wall of Marshall tube amps...As he played you could see the tubes in the things flickering orange. Those amps were running b@lls to the wall. Like a K1JJ project.
Not designed to be part of the show, but a cool effect. I was prolly the only person there concerned about those tubes failing- LOL!

Another memorable one was seeing the Doors at the old Chicago hockey stadium. Remembered mostly because Jim Morrison was so drunk that he needed to hang onto a mic stand for dear life. Nevertheless, even in that state he put ona heckofa good show.

So much for dead musicians, I s'pose...

-Bill
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2005, 10:50:46 AM »

...As he played you could see the tubes in the things flickering orange. Those amps were running b@lls to the wall. Like a K1JJ project.
Not designed to be part of the show, but a cool effect. I was prolly the only person there concerned about those tubes failing- LOL!
-Bill

I guess one could say Hendrix really had them singing for their supper?
I hear Labamba has been known to frequent that bar too. Grin

Hendrix' music has always been at the top of my list too. I measure how much I like a song by the ability to listen to it again and again and continue to feel the rush.

The Beatles music is another. They were around for such a short time, but changed the world more than any other.  The Moody Blues, some Chicago, Pink Floydd, Steely Dan, Todd Rundgrand is tops.  There's lots more, but I like music that has vocal harmony and a good blend of many instruments. I like a lot of the soul music from the late 60's/70's. The big band 40's sound is great. JAZZ is actually my favorite - there's so many good artists to listen to.  Woman vocalists singing skat or belting out the intro to jazz is outstanding.

Tuning the low end of the FM band at night looking for great jazz is my passion. I aim a VHF 32 el log periodick towards Boston or NYC and tune.  I'm amazed that more people aren't passionate about jazz.  I'm finding the jazz stations harder to find these days. [sigh]

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2005, 11:41:30 AM »

...As he played you could see the tubes in the things flickering orange. Those amps were running b@lls to the wall. Like a K1JJ project.
-Bill

I guess one could say Hendrix really had them singing for their supper?
I hear Labamba has been known to frequent that bar too. Grin

Hendrix' music has always been at the top of my list too. I measure how much I like a song by the ability to listen to it again and again and continue to feel the rush.

The Beatles music is another. They were around for such a short time, but changed the world more than any other.  The Moody Blues, some Chicago, Pink Floydd, Steely Dan, Todd Rundgrand is tops.  There's lots more, but I like music that has vocal harmony and a good blend of many instruments. I like a lot of the soul music from the late 60's/70's. The big band 40's sound is great. JAZZ is actually my favorite - there's so many good artists to listen to.  Woman vocalists singing skat or belting out the intro to jazz is outstanding.

Tuning the low end of the FM band at night looking for great jazz is my passion. I aim a VHF 32 el log periodick towards Boston or NYC and tune.  I'm amazed that more people aren't passionate about jazz.  I'm finding the jazz stations harder to find these days. [sigh]

T

Talking about sweet vocals...About at the top of my list are the Rev. Al Green, Marvin Gaye and the Temptations. Whatta set of pipes they all had in those recordings.

Tom, in a way, it looks like jazz isn't going to completely go away on the radio dial..The industry is rolling out digital ("IBOC", "HD") simulcasting and that gives stations the ability to program a whole second set of channels. A case in point is WNUA in Chicago, they're doing so-called smooth jazz on their primary and doing a commercial-free classic jazz format on their multicast digital channels. Kenny G. vs. Art Pepper and Coltrane. It sounds terriffic. I think the advent of digital FM broadcasting is going to generate a lot of very cool niche formats available on the dial over the next few years. Once you have digital capability in place, it costs almost nothing to add a second set of digital audio channels, it only cost me about $7,500 for the hardware to do that on our Boulder FM. That's really cheap to put a second signal on the dial and I'm really cranked about the possibilities..Underground FM is gonna make a comeback. Now the receiver and automobile manufacturers have to step up and start delivering tuners. It's sorta like the early days of color TV or stereo FM.

You're gonna need to get an HD FM tuner for your DXing, in a few years you won't believe what you're going to find on the dial.

Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2005, 12:03:34 PM »

Unfortunately there are no longer any REAL jazz stations in NYC. There is a station (CD101) that claims to be a "jazz" station but they play mostly elevator music like Kenny G which is not Jazz. The true jazz station in NYC was WRVR but they went off the air many years ago. The closest thing to a real jazz station is non-commercial WBGO (88) out of Newark NJ. It really is a shame that a big artistic center like New York is lacking in this area. I'm sure you do better pointing that yagi at Boston Tom.

Tuning the low end of the FM band at night looking for great jazz is my passion. I aim a VHF 32 el log periodick towards Boston or NYC and tune.  I'm amazed that more people aren't passionate about jazz.  I'm finding the jazz stations harder to find these days. [sigh] T
ve6pg

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2005, 06:37:08 PM »

...eric burdon/animals..some of their more obscure stuff is really great..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2005, 07:15:48 PM »

Joe said:
Atomic Rooster

"All across the country baby...."

I had Atomic Rooster IV. What an awesome album. Also whatever happened to King Crimson?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015