The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:32:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARCs per second  (Read 8461 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: August 30, 2005, 12:05:40 PM »

Do any of you know how many arcs per second it takes to make a spark gap transmitter sound like a clean tone?
2ZE
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 02:45:55 PM »

Define "clean tone" ?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 02:55:25 PM »

Mike,
Your Dad's sounded pretty good what is his spark rate per second.
A friend has a new milling machine......
2ZE
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 03:40:06 PM »

COOL Wink

We have a couple. The big one is a non syncronous spark gap. In other words, it  arcs at random points in the AC cycle depending on the number of "teeth" and the speed of the motor. The OM's has 8 teeth and a motor that rotates at I think 1200 rpm or 2400 rpm, I cant remember. The faster, the better.
A syncronous gap has exactly 4 teeth and is mounted on a motor that spins at 1750 rpm, and the gaps are adjustable back and forth so that you can sync up to exactly the peaks of the AC waveform. More effecient, but lousy tone and more complex to manufacture.
Quenched gap used several small gaps close together to the point you don't see any spark. Mainly used aboard ships, and much quieter. Very rare to find gaps these days. Also, fed with 60 cps AC, the note is very mushy. Many ships used 110VDC, so a 500cps generator was employed, very "sweet" high pitched note, also, rare as hens teeth.
Hope you build one!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 05:15:56 PM »

So I suppose you have to arc as fast as possible yet quench the arc
Sounds like the larger the diameter disc  the easier it is to do.
I  saw a 5 inch disc once

I have a cool old motor that would be a nice mudulator.
A buzzard 3/8" silver plated tube coil.

never built a spark rig or an 813.

This would be a cool Hostraders rig to work Dale
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 12:24:19 PM »

I was thinking Mike, How about a gear like the input shaft from a B.W. T10
The teeth would last for a while.  Huh??
2ZE
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 12:28:33 PM »

You kinda need something with longer teeth, a couple of inches and insulated from the motor shaft.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 02:23:49 PM »

Yea arc might not quench. guess it is time to machine a disc
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 10:43:29 PM »

Try searching on teslta and rotary gap. Theres still lots being built. A tesla coil is after all only a VERY short vertical antenna.  My experience is that theyre nasty and noisy, at least  compared to MOSFET driven TC . But they do add the 'Frankenstien' ambience. (Although to be honest Bride of Frankenstien has better electrcal effects)
                                                                                     Ian
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 10:30:26 AM »

Ian,
My life is incomplete unless I build a rotary spark rig. I want it to be as clean as possible. I plan to use a High Q tuned circuit.  Recently I've been into lightning and EMI testing so it has sparked new interest.

2ZE
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 10:44:56 AM »

You're gunna need a condenser that can handle the really high peak voltage across the tank. The OM HB one using 1/4" glass plates and actual tin foil and squeezed them together with blocks of wood, threaded rod, and nuts and bolts. I think he used 7 pieces of glass and 6 pieces of tin about 12"x 12" and bolted all of the leads together at the top.
He tried using large black mica's, but would puncture every one as soon as the key was depressed.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 12:06:21 PM »

wow Mike that must be some high voltage! I was thinking of a 1/4 inch spaced cardwell. I also have another cap with 1/2 inch spacing.

I guess a 7000 volt spark must generate 14,000 V RF  peak to peak
then damped.
2ZE
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 05:14:45 PM »

yea, that initial jolt is usually what does it. After damping, it gets recharged again. How much damping is what actually controls how broad the rig is. Too heavy a loading causes little damping, and makes the sig real wide.
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 08:04:35 AM »

Just a reminder, damped emissions, designated by the letter B, are forbidden: from regs 2..201(f);

"Type B emission: As an exception to the above principles, damped
waves are symbolized in the Commission's rules and regulations as type B
emission. The use of type B emissions is forbidden."

As I recall, the rotary gaps were used to produce a higher pitch to the "tone" of the detected signal as there were no BFo's and such with TRF receivers.  Also, at its pre vacuum transmitter peak, mechanically driven transmitters were high frequency alternators capable of kiloWatts of power at frequencies up toward 100 kilocycles. 

Fun to play with or have as a display piece.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 09:27:44 AM »

Rob,
"There you go with those negative waves"(as odd ball would say)
It is just a new configuration of spread spectrum
2ZE
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 01:54:42 PM »

Just load it into the ant, have a friend listen on a rx down in the broadcash band, and send random dit dah's like it was an electric fence arcing to grass or something. Grin

We don't need no stinkin' rules Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015