The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:53:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another ARRL Hopefull  (Read 5148 times)
KA8WTK
Contributing

« on: August 25, 2005, 04:16:11 PM »

Fliers from K8IT, Neil Sablatzky, were being handed out at the Warren Hamfest. Anyone know anything about this guy?

"A Novice operator at age 14, I enjoy Amateur Radio Public Service, Experimentation, and Operating most modes. I have provided public service operations for many events, including: New York City Marathon, MS-150 Bike Tours, Michigan UP-200 Dog Sled Races, and many Skywarn, ARES, RACES, and Storm Recovery Nets. I am a member of the ARRL High Speed Multi Media Working Group, serve as a local AEC, and enjoy training amateurs on new subjects.

After 31+ years of Amateur Radio, (Extra, Age 46), our hobby is facing declining interest, we are in danger of losing frequency bandwidth, facing antenna restrictions, and losing public acceptance of Amateur Radio.

The Future.

First, we must elect active, progressive thinking and technically competent leadership.

Second, we must evaluate every mode, frequency allocation, and operating procedure. We need to adjust for the future, but not at another mode’s expense.
While a CW test is not needed, given a mirror or flashlight, what other mode can replace CW?

Third, we must not abandon the new Amateur. We must address the availability of training, offered to new amateurs, once they pass the test.

Fourth, we need youth. We must communicate that Amateur Radio is fun, group conversations are common place, and students with licenses can earn the required community public service needed for high school graduation. We must boost the number of significant college scholarship grants by teaming with industry to market Amateur Radio, as a skill set development opportunity.

Fifth, the ARRL must become the voice of the amateur. This requires that the Board of Directors listen to its members, and not sanction causes such as “Regulation by Bandwidth” if the result limits operation and experimentation.

Please email mailto:k8it@arrl.net for additional information.
I, K8IT, look forward to serving as your Great Lakes Division Director."

Notice, I am not promoting Neil or any other office seeker at this point.

Bill KA8WTK
wk3c
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 08:12:56 PM »

Fliers from K8IT, Neil Sablatzky, were being handed out at the Warren Hamfest. Anyone know anything about this guy?

"A Novice operator at age 14, I enjoy Amateur Radio Public Service, Experimentation, and Operating most modes. I have provided public service operations for many events, including: New York City Marathon, MS-150 Bike Tours, Michigan UP-200 Dog Sled Races, and many Skywarn, ARES, RACES, and Storm Recovery Nets. I am a member of the ARRL High Speed Multi Media Working Group, serve as a local AEC, and enjoy training amateurs on new subjects.

After 31+ years of Amateur Radio, (Extra, Age 46), our hobby is facing declining interest, we are in danger of losing frequency bandwidth, facing antenna restrictions, and losing public acceptance of Amateur Radio.

The Future.

First, we must elect active, progressive thinking and technically competent leadership.

Second, we must evaluate every mode, frequency allocation, and operating procedure. We need to adjust for the future, but not at another mode’s expense.
While a CW test is not needed, given a mirror or flashlight, what other mode can replace CW?

Third, we must not abandon the new Amateur. We must address the availability of training, offered to new amateurs, once they pass the test.

Fourth, we need youth. We must communicate that Amateur Radio is fun, group conversations are common place, and students with licenses can earn the required community public service needed for high school graduation. We must boost the number of significant college scholarship grants by teaming with industry to market Amateur Radio, as a skill set development opportunity.

Fifth, the ARRL must become the voice of the amateur. This requires that the Board of Directors listen to its members, and not sanction causes such as “Regulation by Bandwidth” if the result limits operation and experimentation.

Please email mailto:k8it@arrl.net for additional information.
I, K8IT, look forward to serving as your Great Lakes Division Director."

Notice, I am not promoting Neil or any other office seeker at this point.

Frankly, since I arrived here because I became aware of this forum because someone e-mailed me that I was being "flamed" here, I'm not sure if I'm doing Neil a favor or a disservice ...

Having said that, I've talked at some length with Neil and find him to be pretty technically competent (he's an EE, but not a "hard core RF guy" like me), with progressive thinking and I think we're pretty much on the same page about needing to grow ARRL membership by making it more attractive, bringing in the kids before we're all dead and gone and there ARE not more hams, improving educational programs, etc.

If I were in the Great Lakes Division, I'd definitely vote for him over the incumbent ...

Carl - wk3c
w8rca
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 11:26:56 AM »

I've known Neil for a number of years and haven't always seen eye to eye with him on many things. Saying that however I can tell you he is passionate about what he believes in and is willing to work on projects with vigor. Would he be a good choice for the ARRL post?? Time and an election will tell us that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015