The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:33:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC bypass capacitors  (Read 3899 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: August 21, 2005, 11:58:26 AM »

Can any of you impart wisdom on the caps  bypassing AC mains to ground?  I recall a thread on some reflector in which the importance of using AC rated caps was emphasized -- type Y2 for mains to ground and type X1 for across the mains, as I recall.   But I also recall a thread advising to rip them all out because these X and Y ratings were about not bursting into flames not about failing open not closed, but this I'm less sure of.  There are polyester X and Y rated caps and ceramics.  Is one more desirable than the other?  And finally what about values?  I see plenty of .01's and .001's in this use.  Do the .01's invite hum?  I read that somewhere too.
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:06:52 AM »

Y is for capacitors where failure may cause electric shock. eg line to ground/chassis  or to coupled circuits like antenna cables.  Typically they are lower capacitance so that their reactance at 50hz is higher , to stop 'tingles' and possibly tripping earth leakage detectors

X is capaticors whose failure wont cause a shock eg across the line.

There are muliple X and Y ratings indicating better construction HV test etc.

Heres a link I found on a quick search on "capacitor class X2 X3"
http://my.execpc.com/~endlr/line-filter.html.

Ian VK3KRI
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 08:22:36 PM »

That is a very good reference.   Ripping out the old ceramic discs that most BA's have from each side of the AC mains to ground and replacing them with Y1's sounds like a really good idea.  The article also suggests that .01 is too big for that application, 4700 pf being the practical limit.  Many BA's have .001's but some have .01's. 

Jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015