The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:45:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters S-38 Decal Set - How do they look from these guys?  (Read 5687 times)
W4LTM
« on: August 23, 2005, 01:17:21 PM »

Hi gang,

Does anyone have any experience with the S-38 (or any radio for that matter) Decal Set from Rock-Sea Enterprises?  What do these Decals look like?  Will they work for a recently restored S-38 and look nice?

Thanks,

Matt
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 09:50:38 PM »

As a matter of fact, I am holding a set in my hand right now. I got these quite a while back for a S-38 I am going to restore. The set is on two sheets. One set is the white markings like "volume", "band", "noise limiter" and the numbers and "lines". There are two "sets" on the one sheet. The other sheet has green lettering for "the hallicrafters co." (two times on the sheet) and "Model S-38B" (twice) and "Model S-38" (twice).

So, you get enough to do two radios of the original or "B" model as they used green lettering across the top. However, there is no "S-38A" in green on the sheet. (Thankfully I saved the lettering on my "A" model Smiley) "C" models and above used white or black lettering. Don't know if he offers the other colors these days.

Hope this helps...........

Bill KA8WTK
W4LTM
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 09:05:02 AM »

Bill,

Thanks for the reply.  How do these things go on?  Are they water soluble kind (like for model airplanes)?  Do you think they will look nice when affixed?

Thanks again,
Matt
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 06:26:10 PM »

Hi There,
  Yep, they are the "water" kind.
  Like with the old airplane decals, it is going to depend on how good you are in putting them on. Thse days there are products available from model/hobby shops that make the job easier. These products make the decal "film" just about dissapear and allow the decal to "melt" into the surface. My Son's use a "deal setting" product on their train decals and they just melt over rivet detail on a plastic HO train. You need to find some way to practice before you do the radio.
  If you notice, the lettering on the S-38 feels raised. If you are lucky enough to not sand the letters off, after a re-paint, the "setting" or "softening" decal products might make the letters look just like the factory's if they go on over the old raised lettering.
  Scoot on over to the local hobby shop and seek some advise.........

Bill KA8WTK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015