The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:11:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QUESTIONS ABOUT VFOs  (Read 6400 times)
ve6pg

« on: August 19, 2005, 09:36:00 PM »

..HI FROM TIM..BILL VE3LVL WAS ASKING ME ABOUT A STAND-ALONE,MORE STABLE VFO FOR HIS VIKING2. I THOUGHT I WOULD AS YOUR OPINIONS ON THE MATTER. IT WOULD BE NICE TO FIND SOMETHING LIKE A TMC VFO,BUT IN PLACE OF THAT,WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS AS TO BILL USING HIS TS450,OR SOMETHING LIKE A DIGITAL SIGNAL GENERATOR?  ...TNX.. ..SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 12:48:31 PM »

I've used a homebrewed DDS generator on my Viking2. I noticed however the signal wasn't perfect so I filtered the output of the DDS generator and all worked well.  Very nice stable signal with good output.  I wasn't happy with using a digitally generated signal with a boatanchor so I stablized a Heath VF-1 I picked up for nothing and use that when I'm not using a crystal. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Roy K8VWX
Contributing

Pr. 4 -1000s Mod Pr. 5868

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 03:47:07 PM »

I have a VF1 here that someone had solidstated using a mpf 102 ( I might have the FET letters mixed up). I did not use the voltage divider network or power from a rig but used an 18 volt wall wart ( transformer ) with extra filtering and it works great. Max drift about 50 cycles. The dope on this was in an old QST but I don't know what year.I'm going to do another one just for the fun of it. Smiley 73
W3DBB

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 09:00:58 PM »

Doug

beautiful downtown Strodes Mills, Pennsylvania
WA1HZK

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 05:40:17 PM »

Write it up Roy. I have a lot of old VFO's that could use upgrades.
Keith
WA1HZK

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 09:27:52 PM »

One of these nights when a slop bucket ticks me off I plan to try my HP3325
as a VFO (in slow sweep mode) the HP8640B would make a great VFO and test generator. 250 t0 500 MHz cavity oscillator with ECL dividers to get ranges down to 455 KHz. Very clean source!
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 04:28:55 PM »

I did the same thing to one of the Heath LMO's, just shoved the FET leads right into the correct tube socket contacts, applied +12vdc to the B+ input on the LMO and it worked great! very stable!! (but no glow  Grin)

I have a VF1 here that someone had solidstated using a mpf 102 ( I might have the FET letters mixed up). I did not use the voltage divider network or power from a rig but used an 18 volt wall wart ( transformer ) with extra filtering and it works great. Max drift about 50 cycles. The dope on this was in an old QST but I don't know what year.I'm going to do another one just for the fun of it. Smiley 73
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015