The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:17:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: gas prices  (Read 98875 times)
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2005, 02:12:57 PM »

Point is, if the cost of fuel is only a reflection of the product itself, why would US sell to China where the price is dirt cheap compared to ours, and why would Canada and Europe sell to the US for half what they could get on their own turf?

I don't know, but I wonder if us selling to, say China, could have to do with the controls governing makeup of gasoline that can be sold in this country -- controls that may not be in place in a country like China.   That would make selling to overseas customers more profitable.  The oil would be extracted by American oil companies from wells overseas, it would be refined overseas and sold overseas, so transportation costs would probably be lower, too.   Just a stab in the dark. 

Go Duke![/b]
VE1IDX

« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2005, 03:50:32 PM »

I did hear that Europe was going to be selling refined gas to the USA as crude is not what is really needed.Also the refineries in western Canada have decided to for-go annual fall maintenance in order to keep refining gasoline and heating fuel for the US market.

Learn from others mistakes.You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2005, 09:18:49 AM »

Friday morning traffic was very light. We figured people were just blowing off work to start the weekend early. Traffic on the way home was also light! Also saw far less SUV and overblown station wagon type vehicles. Seems like the plan is to leave the big vehicles home with wifey and use the beat up second car for the commute. One problem was with poor plannning. Saw 6 breakdowns. Cars being hooked - off to the shop.  Guess the around town wifey cars are not up to the commute. People are also slowing down on the highway. Slow down - use less gas.... Wink
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2005, 01:33:20 PM »

Ur right, my pickup uses about 5% to 10% less fuel at 65 MPH than it does at a steady 75 MPH. Pickups and SUVs have the same aerodynamics as a brick.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2005, 01:51:31 PM »

Ur right, my pickup uses about 5% to 10% less fuel at 65 MPH than it does at a steady 75 MPH. Pickups and SUVs have the same aerodynamics as a brick.

Dump the pickup and get one of these.

http://www.classicdreamcars.com/35AIRFLOW.html

Even Hitler recognised the value of fuel economy as the shape was copied for the Volkswagon.

GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2005, 03:03:59 PM »

Friday morning traffic was very light. We figured people were just blowing off work to start the weekend early. Traffic on the way home was also light! Also saw far less SUV and overblown station wagon type vehicles. Seems like the plan is to leave the big vehicles home with wifey and use the beat up second car for the commute. One problem was with poor plannning. Saw 6 breakdowns. Cars being hooked - off to the shop.  Guess the around town wifey cars are not up to the commute. People are also slowing down on the highway. Slow down - use less gas.... Wink
I'm really surprised they aren't talking about slowing us down to double nickles again. It would make sense.
John Holotko

« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2005, 09:58:00 PM »

I'm really surprised they aren't talking about slowing us down to double nickles again. It would make sense.

George George when are you going to learn. There is nothing wrong with gas prices. As a matter of fact  in real dollards gas is cheaper than ever. It's just that  we are too dumb to realize how cheap gas is so we have cut back on our driving and forced the price to go up in artificial dollars so we think we are paying more. And remember what Uncle Bush says, ... Cut down on unessesary driving !! Viva la Busche

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2005, 10:02:38 PM »

What is a real dollar?  Explain it to my bank account?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2005, 06:48:50 PM »

Smiley

* gasprices.jpg (20.84 KB, 400x400 - viewed 918 times.)
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2005, 08:31:22 PM »

Smiley
Grin Pretty much says it all Dave,
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2008, 06:19:54 PM »

I know, it's crazy. And  this administration has 3 more years  to go. What will we be looking at 4 or maye 5 dollars a gallon by than ??

Interesting prediction from August 2005.  Here in Marietta Georgia, regular is now $4.07, premium is $4.37.  I wonder what the price will be after the July 4th holiday weekend?  And in the beginning of 2008???

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2008, 08:29:15 PM »

Nice Necro!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »

We were working pretty hard over the weekend so I suggested we get some ice cream. Maybe we apply this same logic to gas. JN and head over to the store and check it out. Prices about the same as last year but the container is 3 pints not a 1/2 gallon. So if they start selling gas by the quart prices will be so much better.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2008, 11:24:47 PM »

I bought some wood moulding this past weekend, to replace some rotted wood.  The tag said it was 3/8" thick, which was exactly what I needed.  After I cut the piece to size, it had a lot of  slop when I tried to fit it in.  Measured it, and the thickness turns out to be 11/32" instead of 3/8".

At least they are somewhat honest with plywood.  3/8" sheets are now marked "11/32 approximately 3/8".

Some of my house repair/restoration projects have been WIP's for almost 30 years.  Inevitably when I put something on the back burner for a few months or a year or so, when I go  back to it, I can no longer get more of the exact same material I started out with to finish.  Either it's "discontinued" or the size is not the same, so it's back to substituting an inferior product, and shimming and trimming to make the pieces fit.

And they wonder why "consumer confidence" is at an all-time low.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015