The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:28:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maximizing and Preserving AM Spectrum!  (Read 65671 times)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 07:57:58 PM »

The ARRL listing is inane. Calling frequencies are meant to be used and then cleared as is operating practice on VHF. Some months ago, I posted a question here concerning the definition of a calling frequency. No one seemed to be able to come up with a definition. To list 3885 as an AM calling frequency just makes no sense at all. 

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2005, 08:23:51 PM »

The ARRL listing is inane. Calling frequencies are meant to be used and then cleared as is operating practice on VHF. Some months ago, I posted a question here concerning the definition of a calling frequency. No one seemed to be able to come up with a definition. To list 3885 as an AM calling frequency just makes no sense at all. 

Yes. You call on that frequincy and move off. But  it makes sense if a certain mode of transmission is used on a particular calling frequincy, it would  be a natural gathering place near it.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2005, 09:41:04 AM »

The biggest problem about operating "out" of the "Gentlemen's Agreement" is the problems it stirs up.

On the other hand, operating inside the "gentlemen's agreement" requires that all involved parties be gentlemen which is clearly not the case. Regular, intentional interference, jamming, to ongoing AM QSO's from slopbucket stations makes that pretty obvious...

With that said, we should be AM Ambassadors on the mode, not operating on a known net frequency – how would you like it if a group SSB ops decided to operate on 3837 used by the AWA nets – or other “known” frequencies. Yes, no one owns the frequency, but courtesy should still apply. Remember that other “Gentlemen’s Agreement”, the Amateur’s Code, the first line of which is “The Radio Amateur is…CONSIDERATE...never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.”

Yes, but that needs to come from both sides of the fence. There appears to be a trend these days to establish and operate a net with the sole purpose of monopolizing a frequency.... yes, frequency ownership, which we all know is not only inconsiderate but illegal. How long before there is a made-up rag chew net every 10khz just to hold a freq?

How about following the rules and be considerate at the same time... if a qso is in progress on some net frequency, the net can start up a few khz on either side.  I'm not saying it has to be that way in every instance..It's a give and take.. In the case of the AWA, these guys are operating vintage gear, some may be under xtal control, so that can be explained to the guys in qso and they can be asked to move.  We shouldn't have to walk on egg shells... Most everyone has a VFO, amateurs should be smart enough to be able to find their "net" even if it's not dead nuts on the "established" freq.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2005, 04:42:52 PM »

Just to show what kind of stand up people we are dealing with: they are now harassing AM QSOs on 160. I heard a couple of guys from 3875 complaining about the QRM on 1985 during their regular AM get together last night. These pasta boilers seem to thrive on trouble making. Sure sign of radio boredom since they have little substance.
kc2ifr
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2005, 05:04:25 PM »

Code:
 Sure sign of radio boredom since they have little substance.

These "hams" are nothing more than subhuman CB'ers that have no life other than trying to cause trouble. If trouble is what thay want........trouble is what they will get.
I dont want this kind of bullsh*t anymore than the next guy.....but these scums need a good "behind the barn" spanking.
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2005, 10:23:57 AM »

disregard AM here for a second.
everytime i have been in a SSB convo i am told i have to move because there is a net schedualed on the frequency...
in my opinion, NETS should only be for emergency traffic... not for everyday BS sessions just so you can hold the frequency.
If you on the air and someone comes on and says " can you please move, our (insert topic here) net is starting up"
your response should be "are you passing emergency traffic? if not then the frequency is in use"
of course sometimes you should be a gentleman and move, i suppose it also depends on the way they ask.
N8LGU

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2005, 11:16:50 AM »

AMEN and AMEN, Blain! I think you hit the nail on the head.  However, daily and
weekly nets have steadily grown over the years to the point there is little spectrum
left for the non-net QSO. If we start this, there will be a long and protracted war with
the Net dudes. How does one go about  changing this without causing chaos?

"Rock Cave Dave"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2005, 12:31:52 PM »

Ever wonder where instant slopbucket QRM comes from on the high end of 40? The head Barforoni used to also play net czar on ECARS on 40 (I don't know if he still does). They frequently get people meeting there who need a place to move to for a QSO. Mr. oasis used to tell them that nobody uses the top 10 khz so go there. Nice guy eh? It's all on mylar with the rest of the stuff.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2005, 01:33:32 PM »

Just to show what kind of stand up people we are dealing with: they are now harassing AM QSOs on 160. I heard a couple of guys from 3875 complaining about the QRM on 1985 during their regular AM get together last night. These pasta boilers seem to thrive on trouble making. Sure sign of radio boredom since they have little substance.

I happened to be listening and followed these guys down to 160. They fired up on 1988. If there was an AM QSO on 1985 at the time, they were below the noise level (here in central  Jersey). I didn't start hearing any AM carriers on 1985 until 15 to 20 minutes after they fired up on 1988 and even then, the AM carriers were just above the noise. Both QSO's seem to move along without a lot of P&M. But on 75, can you really find a lot of QSO's where somebody isn't bitching about something.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2005, 01:40:04 PM »

Quote from: kc2ifr
These "hams" are nothing more than subhuman CB'ers that have no life other than trying to cause trouble. If trouble is what thay want........trouble is what they will get.
I dont want this kind of bullsh*t anymore than the next guy.....but these scums need a good "behind the barn" spanking.

Got to remember Bill, this is not always mode specific.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2005, 03:54:16 PM »

I happened to be listening and followed these guys down to 160. They fired up on 1988. If there was an AM QSO on 1985 at the time, they were below the noise level (here in central  Jersey). I didn't start hearing any AM carriers on 1985 until 15 to 20 minutes after they fired up on 1988 and even then, the AM carriers were just above the noise. Both QSO's seem to move along without a lot of P&M. But on 75, can you really find a lot of QSO's where somebody isn't bitching about something.

Your right Pete. Even when you aren't right you are still right. It's allright. No pattern here at all.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2005, 05:41:47 PM »

Quote from: Dave Calhoun W2APE
Your right Pete. Even when you aren't right you are still right. It's allright. No pattern here at all.

Just wanted to make sure you had all the facts. Of course, some patterns are a fact of life on 75. Let's go hold that frequency before somebody else gets it.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2005, 05:51:09 PM »

Just wanted to make sure you had all the facts. Of course, some patterns are a fact of life on 75. Let's go hold that frequency before somebody else gets it.

Sorry,  I'd love to go hold the frequency but I actually have a life outside of ham radio.
Just keep listening Pete and you might catch on as to what is going on. 
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2005, 07:40:47 PM »

Sorry,  I'd love to go hold the frequency but I actually have a life outside of ham radio.

Yep, I've  listened and "read" both sides of the fence.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2005, 12:15:25 AM »

Yep, I've  listened and "read" both sides of the fence.

Glad to see that you are informed. I would expect nothing less.
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2005, 08:28:19 AM »

Hey Dave -- I see you've figured out that Pete is always right too.  Even when he's wrong he's right.  That must be just wonderful -- to be always right!!

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2005, 02:40:34 PM »

Hey Dave -- I see you've figured out that Pete is always right too.  Even when he's wrong he's right.  That must be just wonderful -- to be always right!!

Ya never feel bad, or confused, when you're    always right

Herb K2VH

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2005, 02:49:37 PM »

[Ya never feel bad, or confused, when you're    always right

You would know, Pete. Roll Eyes

K2VHerb

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2005, 02:37:22 PM »

well there was a loud ssb qso plunked on 3875 and
one at 3895 the other night.  and they were a lot
louder than an am qso on 85, I don't think anyway
would be able to kick them off a frequency. vfo time.

am forever!
Herb K2VH

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2005, 03:29:19 PM »

Once again,

"It is a tale . . . full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

--Shakespeare

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2005, 09:01:58 PM »

What if your a Left(y)..Right is left and Left is Right.

It Is Right to operate on a clear frequency, of your choosing.

I'd like to post that picture that was in the old VHF Manuals that said "Now Send with your left Foot"...

I always liked that... Smiley
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2005, 12:33:09 PM »

Can you point to some formal documentation that defines this imaginary AM Window as being the rule of thumb for 75 meter phone operation? I find no mention of it in any band plans.

Well Pete, I don't know how formal you'd consider this source since it IS an ARRL publication.

ARRL Operating Manual
8th edition c. 2003

Page 1-14:

"AM operation is generally found between 3870 and 3890 kHz"

I can loan you a copy if you don't want to spend the 25 bux.
W1IA

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2005, 11:37:32 PM »

It has become clear that as we are all gentlemen and we operate in accordance with the A.M. gentlemen's agreement; I am calling to all to make full use of the A.M. broken window 20 KHZ from 3870-3890KHZ.

A sad trend is being set with further disregard and contempt for those of us that hold A.M. to our hearts. Yes we all know that legally all phone modes (specifically SSB) can operate within the set aside 20 KHZ, but does this make it right?

I have made attempts to talk with a couple of the NET controls of the groups operating in the window, only to be met with cold and disdainfull animosity.

I purpose that groups operate every 5-6KHZ from 3871 to 3889KHZ. Perhaps not as comfortable as we would like, but affording enough room to make a decent round-table with minimal side-channel interference.

Take the time and dust off that transmitter and join me with the "No-Net Net" anywhere within the A.M. window. I have made it my goal to maximize the enjoyment of our beloved mode and preserve this small corner of the band by simply turning on the transmitter and operating.
If there is 4 or more ops on the same A.M. freq...lets split up and move around the window and OCCUPY this spectrum. This makes it easier for some of the lower power stations to get in on a QSO without SSB interference and have a chance to operate.

Your Inquirer Admin,

Brent(Tina) W1IA

I had a long conversation with Fred KB2IXT and extended the olive branch. I came to the realization that we need to come to a productive solution in regards to the "Marconi Net" and the conflicts resulting from operating on 3872 khzs.

The operation of the "No-Net Net" will be operated with positive topics, and I will no longer spoof Fred's Net.
Fred said that he will make an effort to find a better location for his net I suggested that 3892 may be a better choice. Fred also agreed to address a few of the members who have moved the net around the AM window to spite.

Please try to respect Freds net and I will do the same and set a positive example.

Humbly,

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
2ZE
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2005, 09:35:06 AM »

Brent:
I glad that everyone involved has taken the high road on this one. This could have turned into another Wally and Richard situation. I heard the Marconi net up on 3892, thought that it was because of the 3873 emergency net, but maybe that will be a good home for them. Now if we just give them a little breathing room, this conflict will get resolved once and for all.

I also will do my part by getting on more frequently. I have taken a long hiatus from operating, but its time to get back in the fray. I miss all of the fun and good times. Grin
ve6pg

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2005, 12:09:21 PM »

...this action of people just stinks...i was home last week,listening on 7290-95,abt 11am. i was werking away in the shack. i heard no activity.this was well before the hurricane,so there was no emerg. traffic happening...not a sound out of the receiver..ok,grabbed the switch,asked if the freq was in use.no answer. starting calling cq. ok,it may have been a  l o n g  cq,but never the less,i did call,maybe 2-3 times..nothing. called again,and suddenly out of nowhere,a ssb station came on the freq.,and told me the freq was in use. that i should have regard to "net" operations,and that i am lucky that an "OO",was not present,to inform me of my "infraction"...huh? ...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015