The AM Forum
April 17, 2024, 09:04:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Taser in Action  (Read 38152 times)
W1UJR
« on: July 17, 2005, 08:03:53 AM »

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/news/video/taser_video.html

Oh those mean "po-lease", stopping that nice lady for no reason at all.
Be sure to watch "The Traffic Stop" first then watch "The Arrest".

kc2ifr
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 08:29:14 AM »

An obnoxious woman driving a 2 ton weapon coupled with a bad attitude.....she deserved everything she got.
John Holotko

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 02:37:40 PM »

Quote from: W1UJR

I found those videos to be extremely disturbing and downright sickening, . The behavior of those cops is downright excessive and inexcuseable. They were obvioualy torturing that woman causing her severe pain and agony, as  well as threatening her life with a potentially lethal device that has been known to kill people. Furthermore I saw NOTHING in those  videos warranting that woman should have been tased even once, let alone a SECOND TIME when she was  already ON THE GROUND in an incapacitated state.  If two HEALTHY STRONG MEN couldn't restrain and arrest a  22  year old WOMAN who was already on the ground and incapacitated then something is very wrong with that picture.   Is this America or Afghanistan under the Taliban ?

However, i will admit that this woman should have left her stupid obnoxious attitude at home. Challenging the cops and trying to tell them off and acting defiant was very foolish on her part. In such a situation the police have the upper hand and she would have served herself better had she politely surrendered her licence, registration and kept her mouth shut. Especially since she was speeding and had vehicle violations. If she feels she was unjustly stopped she could have taken that up in court later, not on the street. At the same  time while outspoken her behavior was non-violent and I saw no reason for the use of the taser and not once but twice.  This was not the first case where the use of the taser was broiught into question and public scrutiny.  I thin we need to take a serious look at how this device is being used and how and when such use is permissable.

My verdict Huh I think bothy parties are at  fault. The woman should have let go of her attitude and the cops definately overreacted and applied excessive force and torture.  Perhaps these cops needs some sensitivity training. Likely this woman will also have quite a lawsuit case on her hands. If she gets herself the right doctors she can claim all sorts of personal trauma and permanent injury. Thanks to those cops she may never have to work a day again in her life.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W2JBL

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 03:02:09 PM »

John- the police in the town where you live do not have tasers, and would have resorted to their favorite tactic. that of savagely beating that woman into  near coma with fists and nightsticks, causing permanent injury or disability. do you think she would rather have been beaten? anybody stupid enough to resist arrest with an attitude that bad deserves a good shot from a taser.
Jeff 'OGM
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 03:18:31 PM »

A good demonstration of what a person should NOT do when pulled over by the police.  What an idiot that woman was!  A broken windshield, no brake lights, doing fifty-one in a thirty mph zone, and driving with a suspended license...  and this nitwit insisted that the police had no right to pull her over, refused to cooperate, and took a swing at one of the officers AFTER they told her she was under arrest and were trying to remove her from the car.  

I mean, how much more bullshit does an officer have to swallow before pulling out the taser and knocking this idiot down???  This had progressed to resisting arrest LONG before the taser came into play.  The use of force in a situation like that is certainly part of the equation in handling such an idiot, and a taser is definitely a safer weapon than a night-stick, a gun, or trying to wrestle with her to get her out of the car, cuffed and into the cruiser.

It's true that tasers have yet to be used in enough instances to reveal the potential for injuries, especially for suspects with heart problems, epilepsy, and so forth.  But the injuries sustained from the use of night-sticks, guns, and plain old wrestling are most assuredly more prolific (at this point) and dangerous to a person's health.  

I hope that if I ever get pulled over by the police that they are as courteous and professional as the two in that video.

Jeff
KA1OGM
W3LSN

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 03:28:35 PM »

I watched the clip some weeks ago. Two male police officers somehow can't remove a 22-year woman from an SUV and flip her over without tazing her twice? I'm sorry, I've still got a major problem with this despite the fact that she appeared to be insolent and was mouthing off at them. Tazers IMHO have become symbolic of the utter contempt with which many police hold the general public, and are basically a legal form of torture.

When Tazers were first being issued to the police, they were justified as a non-lethal alternative to the gun. Rather than shoot a suspect with a bullet and risk death, the tazer would incapacitate and allow them to make an arrest. The tazer was supposed to be applied in situations where a bullet might ordinarily be used. Tazers now have become a routine method of "dealing" with unarmed people who simply become a nuisance to the cops. Don't hang up your cellphone, you get tazed. Don't roll over on your belly quick enough, you get tazed. Refuse to leave your car, you get tazed. (in other cases) Refuse to walk fast enough to the patrol car, you get tazed. Refuse to give a urine sample in the hospital, you get tazed until you do. An 15-year old schoolgirl gets tazed for kicking a school security officer in the principal's office. A 16-year old boys gets tazed when he berates deputies for not dispatching an ambulance fast enough to transport his suicidal father. A blind, 77-year old woman gets tazed and pepper-sprayed when she refuses to allow "peace" offers to confiscate her personal property. In the past, would the police have had reasonable cause to shoot these people with a bullet if they simply didn't respond fast enough or were mouthing off at them? Of course not.  

Routine police work always assumed that officers would get their hands dirty and usually attracted the sort who could handle themselves in rough and tumble situations or defuse a situation with effective negotiating skills. Today the police find it more convenient to zap non-cooperative suspects rather than risk spoiling the creases in their uniforms. There is a surrender or die mentality among cops that justifies the use of tazers on unarmed people, and mobile, militarized death squads (a.k.a SWAT teams) in the excerise of routine police work such as serving warrants.

Any police officer who feels he is in danger from an unarmed person deserves to be thrown out of the job. We need police with brawn, brains, and gonads. Not police who feel "threatened" by children and sick old women.

Jim WA2AJM
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 05:00:27 PM »

Jim

I couldn't have said it any better!

Bill IFR, Next time you get pulled over be kind OM, you have a defibulator in your chest, something the police wouldn't know when zapping ya with 50K.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNØ54
kc2ifr
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 05:34:29 PM »

Bill IFR, Next time you get pulled over be kind OM, you have a defibulator in your chest, something the police wouldn't know when zapping ya with 50K.

Gary,
Been pulled over many times in my life and have been roughed up by state troopers once. In that case I deserved it....learned my lesson. Perhaps that dumb broad has learned her lesson also. I doubt she is a "sick old lady". Wouldnt it be nice to have her (it) as a wife?Huh Shocked
John Holotko

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 07:07:17 PM »

Quote from: Jeff 'OGM
A good demonstration of what a person should NOT do when pulled over by the police.  What an idiot that woman was!  A broken windshield, no brake lights, doing fifty-one in a thirty mph zone, and driving with a suspended license...  and this nitwit insisted that the police had no right to pull her over, refused to cooperate, and took a swing at one of the officers AFTER they told her she was under arrest and were trying to remove her from the car.  

I dunno about that  Jeff.  I'm no weakling but, I'm not a big strong powerful guy like those police officers and I was once attacked by a drunken woman in her 20's who swung at me and I had no problem restraining her monemtarilly and sending her on her way. I didn't have to tazer or beat her, I just had to restrain her hands and demand she behave herself and leave me alone. Are you telling me  I can restrain an irate  woman alone by myself but more than one strong well trained POLICE OFFICERS can't  ?? She must have been a very rough tough and powerful gal. This must have been one hell of a dame.

I mean, how much more bullshit does an officer have to swallow before pulling out the taser and knocking this idiot down???  This had progressed to resisting arrest LONG before the taser came into play.  The use of force in a situation like that is certainly part of the equation in handling such an idiot, and a taser is definitely a safer weapon than a night-stick, a gun, or trying to wrestle with her to get her out of the car, cuffed and into the cruiser.

Again, unless she was unusually strong I wouldn;t be surprised if I could have gotten her out of that  car, restrained her from hitting me, and gotten her cuffed and into the police car.  Several strong, well trained policemen can't do this without tazing her or beating the crap out of her with sticks ?? In the old days strong adult men having to beat the daylights or use potentially lethal force against an unarmed woman did not set very well. Most often such men wouldn;t show their faces in town.  

On another note, why was she being arrested  to begin with ? True, she did cop a very bad attitude. However she did turn over her license and registration.  Why then was she not simply ticketed, told to get the vehicle repaired and allowed to proceed ??  The police came forward with no reason as to why she was arrested.

It's true that tasers have yet to be used in enough instances to reveal the potential for injuries, especially for suspects with heart problems, epilepsy, and so forth.  But the injuries sustained from the use of night-sticks, guns, and plain old wrestling are most assuredly more prolific (at this point) and dangerous to a person's health.  

Are you sure. The vital organs, heart, lungs, chest cavity muscles operate on electrical impulsesproduced by electrochemical reactions. Applying extremely high voltages to tissues interferes with these normal and extremely vital processes. A normal healthy individual can often (but not always) recover from the efects of such electrical impulses. Those with medical conditions in which these functions are already impaired and malfunctioning are far less likely to recover. This has already been seen in deaths that have occurred after repeated tazings.  Mankind has known for a verylong time that the application of high voltages to the human bodies tissue can be extremely dangerous and can often supply some very surprisingly unpredictable results, even in the healthy. I

I hope that if I ever get pulled over by the police that they are as courteous and professional as the two in that video.

Jeff
KA1OGM

And how would you feel if two strong officers started tazing your wife or daughter ?

John Holotko

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 07:17:26 PM »

Quote from: kc2ifr

Gary,
Been pulled over many times in my life and have been roughed up by state troopers once. In that case I deserved it....learned my lesson. Perhaps that dumb broad has learned her lesson also. I doubt she is a "sick old lady". Wouldnt it be nice to have her (it) as a wife?Huh Shocked

Why do you feel you deserved to be roughed up. n And what about the cases where you didn;t deserve it ?  

In any event, Strong men, trained law enfiorcement officers, beating the crap  out of or using potentially lethal force against an unarmed woman is pretty pathetic if you ask me. At one time it would be considered the epitome of cowardice.  If this woman needed to be arrested (and nobody has explained why)  this could have been handled differently. She could have been restrained with minimal use of force and without tazers or nightstics.  have we reached a point in America where our wives, daughters, girlfriends, grandmothers, have to chose between being tazed or having the living crap beat out of them  if they dare to utter one word or don;t respond fast enough to an order ?? Maybe this is the way it is these days but, if that's how it is then somethings very wrong out there. Then again, maybe I'm just old fashiooned.

John Holotko

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 07:19:06 PM »

Quote from: W2INR
Jim

I couldn't have said it any better!

I agree.

Ed W1XAW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 07:22:22 PM »

Without commenting on whether the police are right or wrong in their use of the taser,  I have to say that there is something vile and peverse about delighting in this video.   In Rome they fed people to the lions to delight the crowds.  I must not have the right gene because watching another human being be hurt is not my cup of tea.  

Ed
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 07:35:21 PM »

I found those videos to be extremely disturbing and downright sickening, . The behavior of those cops is downright excessive and inexcuseable

oh this woman is such a victim  :roll:
please... if she had done what she was supposed to do everything would have been fine, she fought with the cops and she lost.
she is also comiting a crime by driving with a suspended license.
I bet she wont do it again.
maybe if the cops were more like this guy we would have alot less prolems in this country.
VE1IDX

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 08:38:37 PM »

Perhaps it would have been better not to use the tazer and wrestle her out of the vehicle.That way she could grab for the officers gun and shoot him with it. :shock: It has happened before.She was given enough warnings.They were justified.I spent 16 years in law enforcement and only wished we had tasers back then.A lot of fights and related injuries would never have happened to either side.

Learn from others mistakes.You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 10:01:10 PM »

My ex across the street neighbor is a transit cop. When he was just starting out some really nice woman spat in his face while being apprehended. He landed up with Hepatitis (can't remember which one). Not only did he have health problems and lose income but he will have health issues for the rest of his life. He got eFFed out of compensation as he was new on the force. I helped him put his stockade fence up one day because he couldn't pick the sections up by himself. Cops are people too. You never know what some of these winners will try. They should put some Heavy Metal music to that woman's wimpering. Have a nice day.
John Holotko

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 11:33:44 PM »

Quote from: Blaine N1GTU
I found those videos to be extremely disturbing and downright sickening, . The behavior of those cops is downright excessive and inexcuseable

please... if she had done what she was supposed to do everything would have been fine, she fought with the cops and she lost.
maybe if the cops were more like this guy we would have alot less prolems in this country.

A woman driving with a suspended liicense deserves to be tased not once but twice, in addition to being tortured and brutalized on the ground by two strong "brave": police men. ?? Sounds pretty sad and pretty pathetic to me. I wonder how many of you who keep saying that she got what she deserved would like it if such a thing were to happen to your own wife or daughter. What if she died in the course of being tased ? People have died from the 50,000 volts jolted into their bodies. The human body is not designed to withstanmd 50,000 volts. Would it be worth a person dying over a stinking traffic infraction ?? Is the only other choice SHE has besides a taser a severe beating at the hands of these strong "brave" MEN ??   Does anyone mean to tell me that a police force comprised of healthy, strong, able bodied men lacks the ability to nonviolently restrain, handcuff, and take into custody one single 23 year old woman without electrocuting and torturing her ??  There is something very very wrong with that picture. Pretty sad stuff in my opinion.

Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 11:34:57 PM »

A Shortfall of humanity or inhumanity, either way Cause effects the end.

I am Law, Kneel...
VE1IDX

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2005, 11:55:41 PM »

Quote from: John Holotko
Quote from: Blaine N1GTU

A woman driving with a suspended liicense deserves to be tased not once but twice, in addition to being tortured and brutalized on the ground by two strong "brave": police men. ?? Sounds pretty sad and pretty pathetic to me. I wonder how many of you who keep saying that she got what she deserved would like it if such a thing were to happen to your own wife or daughter. What if she died in the course of being tased ? People have died from the 50,000 volts jolted into their bodies. The human body is not designed to withstanmd 50,000 volts. Would it be worth a person dying over a stinking traffic infraction ?? Is the only other choice SHE has besides a taser a severe beating at the hands of these strong "brave" MEN ??   Does anyone mean to tell me that a police force comprised of healthy, strong, able bodied men lacks the ability to nonviolently restrain, handcuff, and take into custody one single 23 year old woman without electrocuting and torturing her ??  There is something very very wrong with that picture. Pretty sad stuff in my opinion.

No,she had a third option,comply with the orders given.They were not unreasonable demands.If she felt wronged then go to court.It's like when they blame the cop when the car he is pursuing has a wreck without hitting another person.It is NOT the cops fault it is the person he is pursuing.They had an option,brake or gas and they chose the wrong one.

Learn from others mistakes.You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
W1UJR
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 04:40:07 AM »

As usual this has neatly and nearly split along party lines.

Interesting.

As for myself, after viewing all of the videos I think she got what she deserved.
Her mellow-drama after being tazed was just comical.

Personal responsibility it what it always comes down to.

Jeff 'OGM
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 05:30:02 AM »

I'd have to say that anyone who thinks the officers were in any way "wrong" or out of line in this case, then they haven't spent the time to watch and listen to all four videos with, and without the commentary.

I, for one, would certainly have no slightest desire to be tazed and I would most definitely comply with an officer who told me to get out of the car OR I will be tazed.  I wouldn't wait for the second or third warning, as was the case here.  

How anyone can possibly position this woman as a "victim" in any way is beyond me.  She was speeding in a vehicle with no brake lights and a broken windshield.  This is more than enough cause to be pulled over.  She was then found to be driving with a suspended license.  This is ample cause to be arrested, especially if you listen to her resistive bullshit that began at the outset of the stop, and continued unabated through the whole incident.  

Resisting arrest, and taking a swing at the other officer is ample cause for the use of force which, in this instance, was a tazer instead of fists, wrestling, a night-stick, or a gun.  She was warned that if she didn't get out of the car, he would taze her.  This warning was given not once, but at least twice.

This is hardly an example of the indiscriminate use of a taser, but rather an exemplary demonstration of what NOT to do when pulled over by the police.

Jeff
KA1OGM
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 08:04:39 AM »

It's always easier on this side of the badge !!!
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2005, 08:26:35 AM »

That's disgusting! Do you have any more?
John Holotko

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2005, 09:19:42 AM »

Quote from: Jeff 'OGM
I'd have to say that anyone who thinks the officers were in any way "wrong" or out of line in this case, then they haven't spent the time to watch and listen to all four videos with, and without the commentary.

I dunno Jeff. I watched them all and I still thought is was pretty ridiculous that an entire police force of strong able bodied men couldn't subdue one unarmed woman alone WITHOUT  tasing her TWICE.  It looked like a rather cowardly act to me.  All I know is that if I ever tased an unarmed woman twice I'sd be ashamed show my face around town ever again.

I, for one, would certainly have no slightest desire to be tazed and I would most definitely comply with an officer who told me to get out of the car OR I will be tazed.  I wouldn't wait for the second or third warning, as was the case here.  

Should we accept the notion that unarmed civilians (including women and children) deserve to be tased for a nonviolent infraction or for not complying with an otder fast enough. It's sad to know that some Americans consider this acceptable.

How anyone can possibly position this woman as a "victim" in any way is beyond me.  She was speeding in a vehicle with no brake lights and a broken windshield.  This is more than enough cause to be pulled over.  She was then found to be driving with a suspended license.  This is ample cause to be arrested, especially if you listen to her resistive bullshit that began at the outset of the stop, and continued unabated through the whole incident.  

So,  you are telling me that the ONLY way a force of strong, trained able bodied men can take one single unarmed 22 year old girl into custody is to tase her not just one but twice for a nonviolent traffic offense ??  And her only other obtions would have been to have been beaten or maybe even shot. There is absolutely no other way to handle such a situation other than to use potentially lethal force twice, aka electrocution ?? Well that sounds pretty sad to me. If this girl was 12 years old instead of 22 and she swung at a cop should she be tased as well ??   Maybe it is time for a strong in depth public investigation into matters concerning relations between the public and law enfocement. Maybe we need to look into just how our police are being trained the4se days and just who is training them.

This is hardly an example of the indiscriminate use of a taser, but rather an exemplary demonstration of what NOT to do when pulled over by the police.
Jeff
KA1OGM

Maybe it wasn't so bad f(for her at least) after all. I am sure she already has her lawyers and doctors working on the case and likely she'll win enough money in court to live comfortable on for years to come. Matter of fact now that the cat is out of the bag and tpeople realize how easy it is to wind up getting tazed by agents of the state rest assured, you;re gonna have plenty of people out there just looking ton get tazed so they can file a law suit. Afterwards get a doctor to vouch the patient has a permanent heart condition, neurological damage or other compication from the electrocution and viola' watch the money flow.  That's one aspect that is rarely mantions, the enormous cost to the public in law suits.  I remember here in new York I once read the amount of money the city had to pay in lawsuits and damages during former mayor Guiliani's extremely aggressive policing campaign. I don;t recall the exact figure but it was astronomical. And, guess who pays for these law suits ?? You do. I do. Anyone who pays taxes does. Keep tasin em boys.

W1IA

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2005, 09:35:01 AM »

Quote from: John Holotko
Quote from: W1UJR

I found those videos to be extremely disturbing and downright sickening, . The behavior of those cops is downright excessive and inexcuseable. They were obvioualy torturing that woman causing her severe pain and agony, as  well as threatening her life with a potentially lethal device that has been known to kill people. Furthermore I saw NOTHING in those  videos warranting that woman should have been tased even once, let alone a SECOND TIME when she was  already ON THE GROUND in an incapacitated state.  If two HEALTHY STRONG MEN couldn't restrain and arrest a  22  year old WOMAN who was already on the ground and incapacitated then something is very wrong with that picture.   Is this America or Afghanistan under the Taliban ?

However, i will admit that this woman should have left her stupid obnoxious attitude at home. Challenging the cops and trying to tell them off and acting defiant was very foolish on her part. In such a situation the police have the upper hand and she would have served herself better had she politely surrendered her licence, registration and kept her mouth shut. Especially since she was speeding and had vehicle violations. If she feels she was unjustly stopped she could have taken that up in court later, not on the street. At the same  time while outspoken her behavior was non-violent and I saw no reason for the use of the taser and not once but twice.  This was not the first case where the use of the taser was broiught into question and public scrutiny.  I thin we need to take a serious look at how this device is being used and how and when such use is permissable.

My verdict Huh I think bothy parties are at  fault. The woman should have let go of her attitude and the cops definately overreacted and applied excessive force and torture.  Perhaps these cops needs some sensitivity training. Likely this woman will also have quite a lawsuit case on her hands. If she gets herself the right doctors she can claim all sorts of personal trauma and permanent injury. Thanks to those cops she may never have to work a day again in her life.

I don't think any NORMAL human being would take pleasure in seeing this happen, but that aside we have become a touchy feely society too quick to coddle those that may appear to have been wronged. Do I think the cops were wrong...simple answer NO.

Once an officer makes any attempt to incarcerate someone, he or she faces a potential law-suit. Same old argument how much force is enough and was it justified. There is no doubt the courts will be clogged with this one and cases like it.

Note that the complete disregard for the officers commands and the age of the woman should be noted. The younger generation (baby boomers) seems to have a chip on there shoulder and are quick to insert foot in mouth.

BT

Run What Ya Brung!
kc2ifr
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2005, 10:35:55 AM »

Well said Brent. And btw......John, Im glad your not the police chief in my area. All the cops would be in jail and the crooks and poeple like that broad in the video would have all the rights.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015