The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:47:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sourcing obsolete parts  (Read 8673 times)
W6FO
« on: July 12, 2005, 06:41:12 PM »

Anyone have sources, preferably online, for hard to find or obsolete components?  I need to replace all the relays in my FT-102 and I've found an old article that goes through the process and gives Orinco and Fujitsu replacement part numbers.  Unfortunately, both Omron and Fujitsu have discontinued these parts.

I need:

(5) Omron G2E-134PHM/12 or G2E-184PM/12
      RELAY PC MNT SPDT 1A 12VDC

(1) Omron G6A-234P ST US/12
      RELAY PC MNT DPDT 1A 12VDC

(2) Omron G2E-134PHM/24 or G2E-184PHM/24
      RELAY PC MNT SPDT 1A 24VDC

(1) Omron G5LE-114P-PS-DC12
      RELAY SPDT 10A 12V 360 OHM COIL

Any ideas how I might obtain these relays?

Thanks

JT - W6FO
kc2ifr
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 07:22:26 PM »

I believe u can get them or find out where to get them from Mal. He is the 102 expert.
NC4LMal@aol.com
His web site:
http://www.members.aol.com/NC4LMal/
ka0pad
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 07:32:13 PM »

JT,

Also check out the yahoo groups ft-102 group. Lots of good info there.

Larry
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 07:48:44 PM »

Once again, Allied is your friend.  www.alliedelc.com

I found at least one of your relays there and ins tock at $3.59 each.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ka0pad
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 11:12:05 PM »

JT,

RS  components in Britain has them listed on thier web site: rswww.com, but a while ago I heard they were out as well, but it's worth a try. if nothing else they have the pdf's of the relay spec's available. You need to register to download the pdf's, and thier form requires a british postal code, i used the one for the house of commons and it worked: SW1A 0AA.

If you cant get them there here's some suggestions:

1. for the 5 pcs, 12v jobs (rlo1,1,1,2,3) find an Omron pin compatible using the spec's maybe?
2. For the wierd pinout guy that EA5AGV has the mod for (rl02), Omron still has the ione EA5AGV uses listed, or you can get one Mal recomends on his site (where he talks about EA5AGv's mod). I do not have a problem with Jose's mod myself, I'd just do it neatly as he instructs. Or, Mal is gold plating the old relay you pull off your ft-102, I saw him listing the service on ebay a couple weeks ago, call him.
3. For the 24 volt guys (rlo4,5), I think they are the same pinout as the 12v guys but 24 volts. Seems like they could be sub'ed with some series resistance, but Mal has a problem with this that's diiscussed a bit in the Yahoo groups files section. I havnt looked into it yet and so dont have an opinion, seems like yeasu must have had a reason to spec a different part in the design and no doubt Mal's got it figured.
4. The relay that goes on the relay unit is a no brainer because I have two extra's in my parts bin and your welcome to one. Send me your address.

I've got another ft-102 (hamfester bargain) to do here as soon as I get my sx62 off the bench and I'm short the 24V relays, so let me know what you find out and do.

Larry
W6FO
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 08:44:54 AM »

Quote from: kc2ifr
I believe u can get them or find out where to get them from Mal. He is the 102 expert.

He may know FT-102's very well, but he is also very full of himself.  He has the relays but won't sell them in the US.  With that said, I may still have him work on my rig as I am quite an impatient fellow.  Here is an email I just received from him:

Hello JT,
    I have the relays in stock but I do not sell them in the US. However, I will replace yours for 15.00 each for the Omron 184s.
    Before you accuse me of trying to drum up business please let me explain that the relays are no longer being made. The only way that I can get them is to special order them in lots of 100 from Newark Electronics. They charge over 9.00 per unit and that means when I need to get more relays I have to lay out almost $1000 and once the order is placed there is no canceling it for any reason as that is the way with special order items. Economic reality is hard to ignore so I chose not to deplete the supply.
    In addition I have found that more than 50% of hams will botch the job and rip up traces and break wires. I know this because I have seen everyone else's mistakes over the past 15 years and over 500 of the 102s that I have repaired.
    I do sell the relays overseas since those fellows have no reasonable way to ship the radio to me. And, I charge the same 15.00 whether I put them in myself or sell them.
    Another point that needs to be mentioned is that there were several other causes for sensitivity loss besides the relays. Those include misalignment and wear of the bandswitch, poorly crimped bullet connections, fractured traces, torn traces and Witch's hat fractures of the soldered trace connections. These collectively account for as many sensitivity problems as the relays. So I find that when I did sell the relays (years back) installation by the owners did not cure all the problems and the 102 went to the radio graveyard since the owner figured he was at the end of the rope. To me that was a waste of a difficult to replenish resource with no gain.
    Sorry to be so long winded but I want people to realize that my reasons for not selling the relays has nothing to do with profit. I personally feel the 102 is the Stradivarius of transceivers and I would like to keep them a force to be reckoned with. They are becoming very popular and are reaching cult status because of its AM capability.
    If you would like to discuss your plans for the radio please give me a call as I love to chat about the radio but I am a relatively slow typist. I used to say that I could type 44 mistakes a minute (hihi). MY number is 954-961-2034 and you can usually reach me anytime from 7PM to 1AM.
    By the way you might want to check out my 102 website at www.members.aol.com/NC4LMal as there are some great photos, phototutorials and general info about the radio. In addition I have placed some nice modifications that are a snap to do.
    73 de NC4L          Mal
ka0pad
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 11:01:40 AM »

JT,

The Omron G5V-1 is nearly identical to the G2E, it's physically smaller just a tad so the leads will need to be dressed (or extended) to fit. The coil inductance is higher and required current lower. They are available in all voltages. Mouser has them in stock for $2.50 (part no G5V-1-DC12 or DC24). I'll be getting some for the 24V relays.

I looked at the schematic and the 24v line is an emitter driven supply line with 10uf on it, I doubt there's any issue with changing the coil loads on it.

So 5 of these at 12v, 2 at 24v, the G6A relay for Jose's mod (available) , and the antenna relay I can send you (or it may be available) and you'd be all set.

Larry
kc2ifr
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 12:10:02 PM »

Hi again JT,
Yup....Mal is a talker...no doubt BUT he does know that radio. If u dont believe me....just ask him!!!!! All kidding aside the man does nice work BUT it will be done HIS way....
Anyway I hope u find what your looking for.
Good luck,
Bill....prowd owner of 4 102's.
wa2zdy
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 05:37:41 PM »

Sounds like Mal's points are probably valid and a good enough reason, as if he needs a reason anyway, to limit US sales.

Good luck with your rig.  The 102, as others have said, is a fine one.
ka0pad
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 07:13:51 PM »

Just want to follow up with the relay issue in case someone stumbles here in an FT-102 search in the future.

The Omron G5V series relays work fine. Just did my '102 with them this past weekend. Thier smaller so the 4 back legs get bent out, and the two front legs get extended with 30 ga wire. Because of this I was able to get all the relays in easily, even the one under the rotary switch went in without desoldering and lifting the switch (a real pita). A once deaf reciever is working great now.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015