The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:25:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harris RF-110A 1 KW Power Amplifier  (Read 8670 times)
kc2ifr
« on: July 09, 2005, 08:52:40 AM »

Thinking of getting this amp. Anyone have any experiance with one?Huh Would like info from you guys if possable.
Thanks,
Bill
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 11:38:31 AM »

Hi Bill, I have one - nice amp.  Biggest drawback is NOISE.  I made up a remote control box and the amp lives in the next room.

Some info here:

http://home.stny.rr.com/n2bc/Harris_RF-110A.htm

There are some pointers to more info there too.

Edit:  Forgot to mention....   That web page is long outdated. Since I put it up I have made a couple changes.  

1) My TS-850 has been replaced with an ICOM 756 & I drive the amp with the ICOM @ 100W but through a 200W 30dB attenuator. This keeps the ICOM quite happy and provides plenty of drive for the amp.

2) I replaced the very noisy muffin fan with a bit less noisy external squirrel cage blower.  The new blower is mounted on a rack panel below the RF deck box & it's output is to the front & directed thru a horseshoe shaped duct up and back into the front of the RF-110.  This kind of kills the ease of getting at things in the RF deck but the 11K RPM muffin fan was just intolerable.

If you have any questions, hollar!

73, Bill   N2BC
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 01:27:04 PM »

That box is cool. Drive it with a sig gen.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 08:04:10 AM »

Quote from: kc2ifr
Thinking of getting this amp. Anyone have any experiance with one?Huh Would like info from you guys if possable.
Thanks,
Bill

Bill - What's wrong with the four by one?

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 08:13:58 AM »

BAMA has the manual
kc2ifr
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 09:35:26 AM »

Hi again guys......thanks for the replys. Joe, nutten wrong with the 4X1 except that its a monobander for 160 and the hv supply is only 3kv at 1 amp. It would be nice if it were about 5kv. Another 4X1 would be nice for linear operation......after all 2 tubes are better than 1!!! I have the 4cx1500b linear that is broke right now.......tube flashed and took out the screen supply. When I saw how the screen supply was built I decided that the design sucked and needed to be completely redesigned. I bought the "tetrode boards"  for this purpose and Im in the process of installing them once I get all the parts to populate the boards. I always thought that 2 4cx1500b's would make a nice amp because I really like that toob. Than I ran across the Harris amp that uses 2 of these toobs. I did dl the manual and took a closer look at the amp. After seeing how complex it is (military design) Im not sure if I will get one. Besides these 2 toobs  can do more than the amp is designed for. Each toob will do 3kv at 900 mills full strap but the amp is not designed for that kind of service.
Anyway I have to get my amp working before I make any decision on the Harris. Ill keep ya posted. Tetrode boards url......

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/boards/tetrode/tetrode-1.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015