The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:40:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot & Pinched  (Read 2808 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: July 08, 2005, 01:30:42 PM »

I need to replace some wiring in my CE 100V.  These wires are prone to getting hot & pinched.  What's better vinyl or teflon insulation?

The details:  The wires from the fan (110 VAC) are routed between the power transformer and the edge of rectifier heat shield, two chrome plated steel plates with sharper-than-you'd like edges.  There is only about 1/8" clearance and can be less.  The transformer mounting tabs have slots that allow the clearance to be zero.   I discovered my fan wires had been sliced almost all the way through the insulation, in fact I can see copper.  I was nearing an exciting moment.

I moved the power transformer, giving a bit more clearance.  Next I'll replace the wires.  But with what?  Nifty teflon stuff I have, plain old vinyl, or something else?

Jon, Hot and Pinched in Silicon Valley
Terry N4RQ
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 11:19:42 PM »

I would go with the teflon, be careful stripping the wire, many years ago I rebuild the wiring in a Navy High power transmitter and we used a electric stripper that used a heating element so as not stress the insulation.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 11:39:02 PM »

Teflon it is.  The local surplus place had some nice fire resistant mesh sleeving.  I intend to put that around the wires too.

Thanks,

Jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015