The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:41:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few 75 meter sound bites for your entertainment.  (Read 59779 times)
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2005, 10:17:07 AM »

Herb said, "To my knowledge, W2OY has had only one published article written about him (November 1987 AM/PX). The rest is not so much historical record as it is legend."

This is not exactly true, how about this...

http://hamgate.sunyerie.edu/~buffaloam/barf.htm

Interesting characters always make radio a bit more entertaining. I heard W2OY many times as I grew up in Hamburg, NY not very far from his QTH. My older cousin Chet WA2LDC chatted with Mike often and I now own the Globe King 500B he used. Never was part of that group, and I don't think W2OY knew we were related, but Mike scared the hell out of me when he answered one of my 75 meter CQs back in 1964. I was 14 and just got on AM with my newly built DX-60 with a $1.95 Lafayette radio crystal mike. I was concerned about screwing this up not because of W2OY, but if my cousin found out he would pound the crap out of me. Anyway I had a nice QSO with him and he mentioned "That DX-60 sounds pretty good for a rig with built in QSB." Took me a minute to figure out he was talking about that controled carrier screen modulation. Anyway he was nice to me and it's great to have the memory of talking to a "legend".

73, Marty WB2RJR

AMI #20, GACW #786
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2005, 11:10:27 AM »

From QRZ.com callsign lookup:

W2OY      USA   Lookups: 1234
BUFFALO AMATEUR RADIO FRATERNITY
13166 BIG TREE RD
E AURORA NY 14052
USA

Some of the WA4D antics were funny to listen to, but the guy was (is?) an asshole.  He deserved the $2K fine for deliberate interference.  He would come on a frequency and announce to stations in QSO there that they had better QRT or QSY, because he was coming on in X minutes.  If the QSO continued, he would fire up on slopbucket with a big signal and announce that the onging QSO was "over," then call some of his buddies or call CQ until he succeeded in running the original QSO off.

He tried to run me off once.  I was determined that wouldn't happen, so I just kept on talking, pretending he didn't exist, although I could not even hear the other station while he was transmitting.  He was able to carry on his QSO as if I didn't exist, and I remember he made some kind of remark that "AM on 75 is history from this moment on," but I never locked horns with him again, or heard him make any particular effort to jam AM QSO's.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2005, 07:28:41 PM »

Quote from: WB2RJR
"Herb said, "To my knowledge, W2OY has had only one published article written about him (November 1987 AM/PX). The rest is not so much historical record as it is legend."

This is not exactly true, how about this...

http://hamgate.sunyerie.edu/~buffaloam/barf.htm"

Well, OK Marty.  I wrote them both, but I don't consider the one from Bruce (www.hamgate......Buffalo Am/Barf, etc.) an article.  That was just a commentary on BARF (Buffalo Amateur Radio Fraternity) that I wrote up for W1UJR.  The one in the AM/PX that I wrote in 1987 is a real article, also with photos.

Thanks for paying attention!  Happy 4th! (and safe too).

K2VHerb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 10:07:47 PM »

Gawd, this was a funny thread.   We were all in rare form 5 years ago... Grin   

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 08:51:08 AM »

The personal here is Pud... what's yours?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:49 AM »

Personal or operator name. WTF?  How about MY name is......
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »

I recall one time the Dawg called a FCC monitoring station and attempted to report himself for running excessive power, to a very confused engineer, all live via phone patch. I think he told the engineer he was being broadcast live.

yo, I heard that - he spelled out his call out for the guy and said something like, " I cannot bear the shame any longer so I am turning myself in live on the air to the proper authorities, which would be you,  for running 25 thousand watts, that's 25 thou, baby, 25 big ones, ....... etc. etc.

I flipped out - it was just too over the top.  Grin
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »

Rather than speculate, here are the facts about what happened to WA4D:

Mile paid a forfeiture of $2,000 to the FCC for intentional interference but never had his license suspended or revoked. After paying the forfeiture he decided it was an appropriate time to take a break from ham radio and shortly thereafter sold off the majority of his ham gear.  

Mike wasn't a "grip"; he was a cameraman and later a technical supervisor on the team assigned to cover the White House for one of the major networks- work that calls for a great deal of skill and training.

At about the same time he was having difficulties with the FCC, Mike had completed a masters degree program. As a result, he received a nice  promotion from the network.  At the time, he told me that his increasing job responsibilities weren't leaving much time for ham radio anyway.

Anyone who knows Mike can attest to the fact that he is a very bright, very knowledgeable guy.

He also used to give out copies of his cancelled check, paid to the FCC as a qsl card years ago. We had an altercation on the air followed by a "meeting of the minds" at a local hamfest some years back. I was never one to back down and could be very intimidating years ago.

He could be a riot to listen to back in those days. Especially if you did not let him get your goat. He couldnt take it if he couldnt piss you off. He definately liked to "stir the pot"!!
You either loved him or hated him, there was nothing in between.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2010, 10:51:23 AM »

Guys:

I have a photo of a W2OY cartoon in my W1GAC archives somewhere. I should post it here.

On a different note, since January I have started transferring to digital my SWL and ham cassettes that I would record occasionally...some quite boring, but a few interesting. I have passed the 100th cassette mark, and may end someplace at 200 cassettes (usually 60 or 90 minute cassettes, recorded from about 1991-2009). They need some work and conversion to MP3. My guess is they may be ready this summer or fall.

I would like to make this audio available to limited hams on a "non-commercial, private for listening purposes only" basis, but wonder about the legality of sharing recordings of communications, esecially of people who have not approved of the distribution.

Thoughts?

Dan
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »

Dan,

No permission from anyone needed.

Distribute all you want.  For free.

There are no rules against it...

And the people whos voice you have recorded from the amateur radio bands have no say what you do with the recordings.

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2010, 11:27:05 AM »

I have boxes of on-air AM cassette tapes from about 1986 to the present. There are probably 300 (90 minute) tapes in there.  I was listening to some of the ones from around 1988 a few months ago. There were some very funny moments mixed in there.  But man, let me tell ya, some of the long, boring, old buzzard transmissions many of us made were legendary - 10, 15 minutes and longer. I listened to one of my own droning on and on about nothing.... it was actually embarrassing to listen to... Grin

I think most of us have livened up our acts and keep the transmissions short and spunky these days. The quick break-in nightly roundtables a few years ago were the best tapes of all to listen to, though I have very little of that era taped - too bad.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2010, 11:54:26 AM »

I listened to one of my own (old buzzard transmissions) droning on and on about nothing.... it was actually embarrassing to listen to... Grin

Now Tom, how is this any different from the present? (JK, LOL, HI HI OM)

I definitely enjoy short break-in type conversations much more than extended round tables, for all the reasons that people have already stated so many times. I believe the most memorable conversations that I have listened to or participated in were break-in. I honestly can't recall too many details from any old-buzzard transmissions that I made or heard. Ah well, it's only a hobby...

:O)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »

One:

Tron's waxing for an hour about modifying a Ranger.

The WHOLE story.

Dan
KA1ZGC
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2010, 01:52:22 PM »

I think most of us have livened up our acts and keep the transmissions short and spunky these days.

That, and I haven't been on the air for the better part of a year.  Grin
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2010, 02:35:43 PM »

I'm pretty sure I talked to you within the past six months on 3733 kHz. Or maybe it was a long delayed echo.  Cheesy

I know I haven't cleaned up my act.

I think most of us have livened up our acts and keep the transmissions short and spunky these days.

That, and I haven't been on the air for the better part of a year.  Grin
Cheesy
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »

Very interresting Ken! Grin
And still I enjoying, when I hear AM from the USA.
For me it is unbelievable to reach the USA in AM with only 140 Watts.
With my homemade transmitter and modulator on our AM freq.: 3705 khz!
And a little piece of wire (Inverted V) hanging in the trees....

Greetings,

Henk
pe1mph
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2010, 04:11:47 PM »

One must admit that some of them are absolutely priceless!!  Wink  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KA1ZGC
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2010, 04:23:51 PM »

I'm pretty sure I talked to you within the past six months on 3733 kHz. Or maybe it was a long delayed echo.  Cheesy

Yeah, you're right. I did fire up the Junkyard Dawg on Christmas Eve. Otherwise, I've been pretty much signala non grata for the last 10 moths or so.

Alas, the weekends are getting warmer, so that may change soon.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2010, 08:29:29 PM »

FB. Is it a heat in the shack situation?
KA1ZGC
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2010, 10:54:24 AM »

FB. Is it a heat in the shack situation?

That's a big QSL on the channel, caw mawn.

Too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer. See the pics in the gallery. No insulation, and the ceiling's too high for space heat. Solutions are more effort than they're worth.

Xmas eve was a special occasion, though, especially with Frank just out of the hospital.

This weekend is supposed to be sunny in the mid 40s, so I might go for a quick cameo.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2010, 12:17:53 PM »

I haven't heard the Dawg on the air for years, but he has been hanging out on the QRZ.com "talk" forum recently, still yanking chains.  I always thought the guy was an asshole, but absolutely hilarious to listen to. Kind of like Double-You 8 No Balls, but at the opposite extreme of the intelligence scale.

Don't worry about recording ham radio conversations off the air, and then posting them. It's perfectly legal. Amateur radio transmissions are considered public information and not subject to any kind of "privacy" laws.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
K9PNP

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »

Yep I betcha it took a lot of effort to throw those old rack and panel rigs into transmit. You really couldn't do break-in.

Guess I was lucky.  Mostly grew up in the hometown of Potter and Brumfield which was a major relay manufacturer [before getting bought out by whichever multi-national corporation and moved/closed].  Most of us here, even most of the old-timers of the 50's and 60's had PTT, even if it was not on the microphone.  Just lucky, I guess.  Of course, you have to remember that the inverse of PTT is RTL [release to listen].

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2010, 04:56:24 PM »

Most of us here, even most of the old-timers of the 50's and 60's had PTT, even if it was not on the microphone. 

The microphone is the worst place to have the PTT switch.

- - -
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »

Speaking of the "Dawg", I just visited the QRZ.com forum, and noticed that he is now listed as "banned" after only 69 posts.   Grin

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2010, 09:43:54 PM »

Heh, once a moron, always a moron.

Speaking of the "Dawg", I just visited the QRZ.com forum, and noticed that he is now listed as "banned" after only 69 posts.   Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015