The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:07:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few 75 meter sound bites for your entertainment.  (Read 59955 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 10:25:49 AM »

Yep, WA4D was one of the original shock jocks.  Back in around
1987-92? area [and later at times] he would get on between
3790-3870 and harrass anyone he could. He also hung out on 3868
for awhile with the "Zimbabwe" Nerd Net guys..

I've heard him break into DX window QSOs and axe US guys
why they were talking to Russian spies down in Nicaragua... while
the qso was in progress. And axe these Russians/portable  guys what
the hell they were doing down there in the first place. Or beat up
on corntesters axing them why they spend their lives doing this.

He sometimes would break into an ssb southern group and axe
them if they ever had sex with a REAALL MAN!  These guys would
go crazy and get out of control while Mike just laughed..

He actually had a sharp wit and could out talk most anyone who
would try to work him over.

He would call CQ and hold court with an iron fist. After 1 minute
with someone he would say, "Is that  all you got?  Now him the
road... NEXT!"  :lol:

I think he was one of the original "Caw  mawn" users on ham
radio.

I think he finally got bored with it, plus I heard someone started
calling the  TV station where he supposedly worked as a camera
man and telling of his on-air  exploits...

Mike was fun to listen to... I even had an encounter with him in
the DX window as he went around there mimicking the shallow
game of working DX...   Didn't phase me- he looked for a
big negative reaction - but couldn't push my buttons. I think
I asked HIM if he ever had sex with a Reeaal MAAN... and he went
away to haunt someone else realizing I knew his schtick..... :lol:

Yes, his on-air phone patches  to the FCC monitors were a scream.

Mike belongs in the radio hall of the infamous with some of the
other stand-outs of ham radio.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 11:03:14 AM »

Google WA4D.  A bunch of sites including some with sound clips like:  "At any rate gentlemen, this is WA4D.  Americans only, please.  QRZ.  I'd prefer not to talk to you Social Security recipients this evening.  I'd like people that are still working for a living."  
http://www.papays.com/audio.html

Go Duke![/b]
Chuck...K1KW
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 12:36:40 PM »

Check out this recording of the Dawwwggg.

http://www.papays.com/dogqrz1.wav

73, Chuck...K1KW
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 01:40:59 PM »

Yep, funny stuff!

And, here's the Dawg congratulating the corntesters at N5AU
by telling the losers on freq about it:  

Click on the WA4D .wav file:

http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/various-rec.html

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 01:57:20 PM »

Here's a 30 minute MP3 of the Dawg doing his whole
schtick - holding court and inciting a riot in the 75M DX
window:

Give it time to download as it's a BIG file. Click on the .MP3
file when done. The site is kinda blank looking except for this
file...

The Best of the Dawg: "W-A-4  DEMOCRACY"

http://www.ke9r.com/audio/wa4d/wa4d-SA-SFH.mp3

KA1ZGC
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 02:43:22 PM »

Quote from: Todd, KA1KAQ
I can't wait for the next installment, "AMers who use unofficial phonetics". Look out, Thom!

Cheesy

Heh heh (O, IM SRI, THATS HI HI)...

I never heard W2OY on the air, he died before I was born, I beleive. I've heard many a recording of him, though, and I'm sure he would be less-than-impressed with me if he were alive today.

Even though I was never acquainted with the man, I do occaisonally wonder if my RF makes it to The Place Where Hams Are Eternally Blessed, causing him to turn the ethereal VFO knob in disgust. Of course, I'm usually operating from the pus-bus these days, which puts me in the "school bus riders" category by default.

For my money, anyone who gets upset over phoney-etics or transmissions that last more than 3 minutes should stick to "emergency preparedness nets" on 2M repeaters, and not bother getting on HF AM with us real men.  :badgrin:

When the crowd gets big, I try to keep it short (stop laughing, guys), but there are some thoughts that simply can't be conveyed in a single sentence. Now and then, I get off on a tear, but then I usually shut up for fifteen or twenty minutes while I go out back and barf.

Besides, sometimes the station operates the operator. I'm sure I'll fall asleep at the mike someday.  :shock:

The things that amuse me are things you don't find on AM too much, like the guys that use "QSL" like a CBer uses "10-4".  :evil:  Or "What was your call? What was your name? Again? Again? One more time, didn't quite catch that... AH! Okay, you're five-by-nine!"  :roll:

Thank God it's only a hobby, otherwise we might actually take this stuff seriously.

--Thom
Kraft Advertisement One Zesty Grated Cheese
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 02:57:10 PM »

Quote from: W1GFH

I really don't mind the longer, old-school style transmissions. It's part of what makes AM different and more relaxing than the frantic style of SSB. The carrier wave quiets the background noise and you have time to pause thoughtfully between ideas. As long as there is a conversational thread being pursued, it's enjoyable to hear four or five guys each adding their thoughts to a given subject.

I agree with that.  There's time to sip and enjoy a cup of coffee or beverage du jour, work on a radio, etc.   ...

It does get a bit tedious, though, when there are a bunch of guys in a RT and everybody feels compelled to comment on or at least acknowledge what everyone else said, throws in one or two new items and 1 1/2 hours later you get it back  Sad

In some groups, if you do make a concerted effort to keep it short, someone will make a comment like "boy, that sure was a short transmission", pick it up and talk long enough for both of you.

I just wish my Sherwood sync detector didn't require a button push to get it to lock on stations that are not quite all on the same frequency.  Always have to turn it off when a QSO goes into PTT mode, or you can't hear what was said through the whistle  :roll:
W1GFH
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2005, 03:16:16 PM »

Quote from: nq5t
It does get a bit tedious, though, when there are a bunch of guys in a RT and everybody feels compelled to comment on or at least acknowledge what everyone else said, throws in one or two new items and 1 1/2 hours later you get it back  Sad

"...fine business on the grass skirt and coconut bra, Mort....and Clem, fine business on using an old wall wart for the filament supply....and Todd, fine business on your new Collins tattoo...." ETC. ETC. ETC.

But I really don't have much to complain about. Here on the W.Coast there are only 6 to 12 AM "regulars" of about 50 sporadically active ops. Some nights there is not even an AM QSO to be heard on 75......
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2005, 06:41:48 PM »

Quote from: KA1ZGC

For my money, anyone who gets upset over phoney-etics or transmissions that last more than 3 minutes should stick to "emergency preparedness nets" on 2M repeaters, and not bother getting on HF AM with us real men.  :badgrin:

Thom,
        Well said!
                      Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
kc2ifr
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2005, 05:15:41 AM »

Thom,
You said it best.........we have enough problems on 75 without having  to worry about our diction.......or should I say dickshon...... :lol:
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2005, 12:13:35 PM »

Quote from: w3jn
Laughing on the air by saying "HI HI".  Or even worse, interspersing each sentence with the word "HI", as in "I lanced my cat's boil last night.  Hi.  My wife died last week.  Hi.  The mod tranny just started arcing. HI HI."

And if that's not dorky enough, you have those who go on to pronounce it "aitch-eye", instead of "high."

Quote from: K1JJ
Using the word "amperage",  instead of "current".

I thought the proper term was "cuntrent."

* Ever notice when there's a big group that keeps growing,
the transmissions get longer and longer? I think it's because
some guys get scared that they're never gonna get it again
and might as well get their licks in while they can. And
then, the phrase above gets uttered: "well, guess I talked long
enuff..."  

I usually don't stay in roundtables once they start to grow enormously in size, unless the topic of discussion is truly enthralling.  My SOP is, "Once there's more than four, it's time for the door."

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2005, 08:42:55 PM »

4) Punishing someone you don't like by signing out
abruptly, thus depriving them of your presence.... the
funniest of them all.

Kinda like punishing someone by not using this forum any more.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2005, 08:45:30 PM »

Swing that Moonraker cawmaun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Steve - WB3HUZ

4) Punishing someone you don't like by signing out
abruptly, thus depriving them of your presence.... the
funniest of them all.

Kinda like punishing someone by not using this forum any more.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2005, 10:19:16 PM »

I recall W2OY's latter days, when he went to SSB.  I remember ticking him off once, calling him a plug-in appliance slopbucket operator.

Actually, people who knew him said his on-the-air antics were 90% put-on, that he was actually a nice guy in person.  That was just the way he got his kicks.

Even his name meant Class-A.  His last name was Preemus (originally spelt Primus - Latin for Number One).

W2UJR, who knew him personally, wrote an article about him in one of the issues of The AM Press/Exchange.

The first time I ever heard him was sometime in the early 60's on 20m AM.  He was bitching about "phonies" (phonetic users).  He wouldn't talk to me because I was a "long talker" and he only wanted to contact "short talkers."

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2005, 10:40:10 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv
And if that's not dorky enough, you have those
who go on to pronounce it "aitch-eye", instead of "high."

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yep, I almost forgot about that one. Next time I hear a guy
laugh H - I , I'm gonna come back and tell a lousy ham joke
and laugh hysterically for 15 straight seconds in "H" I" 's.

BTW, I couldn't care less about proper diction on the air. Few
of us are English teachers and we don't nit pick. We are
joking about the slang and unusual Ham-eze habits. All of us
hams are strange birds if you look closely.  I think that's
kinda cool - to be different from the crowd, that is. The normal
people get bored quickly and go away. I'm not kidding. Ya
gotta be a strange one to be really excited about this hobby.
You can see it in our eyes. It's like when you axe a flying
saucer freak if he thinks there's life on other planets.  But,
I think deep down, everyone thinks THEY are normal and
the other guys are the strange ones... Cheesy

Oh, Don.. one of my FIRST contacts on AM as a high voiced
13 year old JN was answering a CQ from W2OY. He tore me a  
new A-hole and it left permanent scars for months. I didn't
know what the heck hit me after that encounter.

Did everyone download this MP3 of the Dawg inciting a riot in
the DX wiondow? It's the funniest 30 minutes I've heard on radio
in a long time. Check it out in its entirity if you haven't already. I
liked the part where he started the Fantasy Net and told the story
of meeting this long legged girl at the airport.
http://www.ke9r.com/audio/wa4d/wa4d-SA-SFH.mp3

HUZ, your old dog shot is the best. I couldn't  resist posting Yaz III
as a pup again. He's almost 2 years old now:

T

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2005, 11:32:05 PM »

And a handsome gentleman he was (and still is). Here's Sasha as a JN.

HUZ, your old dog shot is the best. I couldn't  resist posting Yaz III
as a pup again. He's almost 2 years old now:

T
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2005, 04:26:09 PM »

Herb, K2VH wrote:

Like you know anything about W2OY Todd. He died when you were six years old.

Hey now....I had a GI Joe walkie talkie, I used to listen to him on that.

But as 'HUZ and 'ZGC pointed out (indirectly), H. P's dad built the Maxim gun and I know about that too, even though I didn't learn about guns until many generations of worms and compost later. Are those nasty sewage grinding machines keeping you awake nights, Herb?  :lol: I was merely comparing his (W2OY) statements [a matter of historical record] to similar remarks that I did in fact witness.

I seem to recall that WA4Doggy had his license pulled, suspended, or something similar several years ago but think he got it back. I'll google and see what I find.

Nice looking pups, guys. Makes me miss my ol' pal Max. Someday when time permits, I hope to find another co-conspirator of similar ilk. The one friend who is always there. Smiley

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2005, 04:59:05 PM »

Nice looking pups, guys. Makes me miss my ol' pal Max. Someday when time permits, I hope to find another co-conspirator of similar ilk. The one friend who is always there. Smiley

Right on!
w3bv
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2005, 09:39:58 PM »

Rather than speculate, here are the facts about what happened to WA4D:

Mile paid a forfeiture of $2,000 to the FCC for intentional interference but never had his license suspended or revoked. After paying the forfeiture he decided it was an appropriate time to take a break from ham radio and shortly thereafter sold off the majority of his ham gear.  

Mike wasn't a "grip"; he was a cameraman and later a technical supervisor on the team assigned to cover the White House for one of the major networks- work that calls for a great deal of skill and training.

At about the same time he was having difficulties with the FCC, Mike had completed a masters degree program. As a result, he received a nice  promotion from the network.  At the time, he told me that his increasing job responsibilities weren't leaving much time for ham radio anyway.

Anyone who knows Mike can attest to the fact that he is a very bright, very knowledgeable guy.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2005, 09:29:50 AM »

w3bv wrote:

Anyone who knows Mike can attest to the fact that he is a very bright, very knowledgeable guy.

...and was incredibly rude to people on air as well as causing deliberate interference to ongoing conversations. Not speculation - first hand experience. There are a lot of murderers, theives, and other crackpots with college degrees and plenty of knowledge who are locked away due to their inability to get along at least peacefully in society. I didn't claim to know precisely what took place from a legal standpoint, and my "or something similar" remark reflected that.  

We have a simililar idiot up this way who appears to folks unfamiliar with him to be a 'decent guy'. If you check his run-ins with the FCC via the 14.313 episodes, you'll see that he lost his license for a while and ended up having his privileges limited by band/frequency. I heard him jam 'IFR a while back on 75. Turns out he's in trouble with them again for his antics, hopefully they will get rid of him this time.

Beyond personal interpretation or opinion, being "bright and knowledgable" doesn't come with any guarantee of how it's applied. After all, Hitler was said to be brilliant in some ways (no Herb, I didn't know Hitler personally either) and we all know what happened there. In fact, it is as likely to make someone a bigger problem as it is to make them a better person overall. Mikey made it very clear to me and many, many others just what type of person he prefers to be.

Yet another reason why real dogs are better than the wanna-be variety!  Wink

w3bv
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2005, 11:44:30 AM »

Roger on the "venom"...
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2005, 01:11:44 PM »

K1JJ wrote:

He actually had a sharp wit and could out talk most anyone who
would try to work him over.

Must agree Tom, he was witty and nobody's fool beyond his own - and funny at times. Always struck me as well-read - I even agreed with some of his views, as I do with some of Irb's. It was when he got down to the name calling and petty crap along those lines that it got ridiculous. Not that he was particularly worse than those he was taunting, but why stoop to that level?

Some folks just like to have fun. The ones who make a vocation of it do it for the attention and in Mikey's case - probably for the amusement, too. Makes me think of the antics of a certain 3-Land station in the recent past, with similar results.

AM, even ham radio in general would be boring if it lacked the personalities and only involved the typical signal reports and stodgey conversations mentioned by others. Most folks know where to draw the line. Others, quite obviously, do not. Simple.

*woof* :p

Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2005, 08:27:10 PM »

Todd (KA1KAQ) wrote:

"Are those nasty sewage grinding machines keeping you awake nights, Herb?  :lol: I was merely comparing his (W2OY) statements [a matter of historical record] to similar remarks that I did in fact witness."

I want to acknowledge my superficial reading of Todd's post and his reference to W2OY.  I did a quick reading of your post, Todd, and thought you were referring to Mike Premus (W2OY), when you talked about "Mikey's snorting," etc.  I am unfamiliar with "WA4Doggy."  I knew W2OY well personally, however, and knew that the things you described about "The Dawg" did not apply to him.  So when you referred to "The Dawg" as "Mikey" I thought you meant Mike Premus.  That's where I got off base.

And Steve, (HUZ-Man), yes I too know a lot about George Washington (and Thomas Jefferson, for that matter).  So do we all.  That's because historically famous people such as these have had volumes written about them by historical scholars, and have been taught about in countless schools.  To my knowledge, W2OY has had only one published article written about him (November 1987 AM/PX).  The rest is not so much historical record as it is legend.

And so, Todd, I apologize to you for misinterpreting your post.  And Steve, Happy and safe Independence Day to you, and to all who read this Bulletin Board.  Thanks, Gary, for keeping it going.

K2 Varsity Herb (formerly known as K2 Junior Varsity Mike)

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2005, 08:56:29 PM »

Just yanking your chain Herb. I'm sure W2OY isn't in the print of any high school history books but I have heard quite a bit about him over the years from you and others. Even if none of it is true, it sure is entertaining!

Have a great Independence Day Weekend.
W1UJR
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2005, 09:06:40 PM »

W2OY - Yep, he's still around.
He is the tall guy on the right, on the left is W2UJR.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015