The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 72 Chevelle Update  (Read 8265 times)
GEORGE/W2AMR
« on: June 25, 2005, 01:59:12 PM »

I finally got the body work and paint done this past winter,  along with  New side moldings and windshield. The body is  almost done. Now on to the drive train.
http://community.webshots.com/album/100602842ZUadjA
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 04:43:42 PM »

SWEEEEEET George,

What is the power plant?  

I noticed there is some dirt on the brake pedal Cheesy

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W4LTM
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 05:07:11 PM »

George - Very nice indeed.  I have always loved the lines of the Chevelle.  Your photos are great!!!

I also have a love of cars (not just radios) and have built my share.   My latest one is a 1968 Camaro.  You can see it here: http://www.trainingitc.com/art/newcamarophoto.jpg

This one had "NO RUST ANYWHERE"  Yea right...  I found too many Folgers and Maxwell House cans screwed down over the holes in the floors.  It took a good solid year to build it.  

Again, you have a real nice car and thank you for sharing.

Matt
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 05:12:19 PM »

Better than the one I own, (I don't have one!) A friend of mine has one that's a pretty rare one.  Factory stock 454, fuel injection, 4 speed trans., tach in hood, all guages and he got it with 32K original miles. Interestingly enough, it has the same color scheme: red with fat black stripes a vinyl roof.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 05:25:30 PM »

Beautiful MATT

And it is the right color  - - - - -

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
wa2zdy
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 06:55:51 PM »

Where are the antennas?

(Ok ok I'm kidding!)
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 07:00:21 PM »

Quote from: W2INR
SWEEEEEET George,

What is the power plant?  

I noticed there is some dirt on the brake pedal Cheesy

Tnx Gary. It has a 350 small block. All the info about the car  is under the pics on web shots. I'll wipe off that dirt.  Cheesy
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 07:02:21 PM »

Quote from: W4LTM
George - Very nice indeed.  I have always loved the lines of the Chevelle.  Your photos are great!!!

I also have a love of cars (not just radios) and have built my share.   My latest one is a 1968 Camaro.  You can see it here: http://www.trainingitc.com/art/newcamarophoto.jpg

This one had "NO RUST ANYWHERE"  Yea right...  I found too many Folgers and Maxwell House cans screwed down over the holes in the floors.  It took a good solid year to build it.  

Again, you have a real nice car and thank you for sharing.

Matt

Wow, what a sharp looking Camaro. Is it a real ss Matt?
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 07:03:30 PM »

Quote from: wa2zdy
Where are the antennas?

(Ok ok I'm kidding!)

Just one Chris. Its in the windshield.  Cheesy
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 07:15:59 PM »

Quote from: W3SLK
Better than the one I own, (I don't have one!) A friend of mine has one that's a pretty rare one.  Factory stock 454, fuel injection, 4 speed trans., tach in hood, all guages and he got it with 32K original miles. Interestingly enough, it has the same color scheme: red with fat black stripes a vinyl roof.

I used to wish it had a big block in it,  but with the price of gas today the 350 is just fine.
W4LTM
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 08:17:31 PM »

W2INR - Gary - Thanks!

George - No, it is not an original SS.  It was originally a mutt car that I built to my taste.  I am a purest at heart and decided this one time I would not build a numbers matching car.  

I have a 69 working Cowl Induction hood with all the working parts including the Cowl air cleaner.  I took a 69 350 and built a real healthy 355 (424 HP) that is matched to a M21 4 Speed, ending at Traction Lock rear end.  Everything is balanced and blueprinted - including my Dart World Sportsman Heads (Heavy Iron here).

Inside I have white face gauges and racing seats.  The next project is to block off and carpet the trunk.  The best part is it can be a daily driver (I do not do it or even try to let it get rained on, but it can if it has to and that is OK) and with the custom fan shroud I made it does not overheat.  I keep saying "me", but my kids and wife helped.  My youngest scraped the rust from the floors while my wife did things like install and shim up the starter.  We do it all together and that makes it great.

I did a 73 Vette that I completely took to 100% original condition (was going Top Flight it) and I was so anal about the car I would not let the kids even walk by it.  I sold it and decided to build one they could all help with and drive in.  Family is more important than a car.

Matt
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 08:56:57 PM »

Quote from: W4LTM
W2INR - Gary - Thanks!

George - No, it is not an original SS.  It was originally a mutt car that I built to my taste.  I am a purest at heart and decided this one time I would not build a numbers matching car.  

I have a 69 working Cowl Induction hood with all the working parts including the Cowl air cleaner.  I took a 69 350 and built a real healthy 355 (424 HP) that is matched to a M21 4 Speed, ending at Traction Lock rear end.  Everything is balanced and blueprinted - including my Dart World Sportsman Heads (Heavy Iron here).

Inside I have white face gauges and racing seats.  The next project is to block off and carpet the trunk.  The best part is it can be a daily driver (I do not do it or even try to let it get rained on, but it can if it has to and that is OK) and with the custom fan shroud I made it does not overheat.  I keep saying "me", but my kids and wife helped.  My youngest scraped the rust from the floors while my wife did things like install and shim up the starter.  We do it all together and that makes it great.

I did a 73 Vette that I completely took to 100% original condition (was going Top Flight it) and I was so anal about the car I would not let the kids even walk by it.  I sold it and decided to build one they could all help with and drive in.  Family is more important than a car.

Matt

Tnx for the info Matt. Sounds like the Camaro is a driver. That's the way it should be. I use the Chevelle for work 2 or 3 days a week.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 12:12:52 PM »

Tnx for the info Matt. Sounds like the Camaro is a driver. That's the way it should be. I use the Chevelle for work 2 or 3 days a week.

Cars are meant to be driven.  There's nothing sadder than seeing an over restored car with 4 miles on the odometer that were made by driving the thing on and off onto a trailer going to/from car shows.

A family friend bought a 289 Shelby Cobra in 1975 for dirt cheap and used it as a daily beater for a while.  In the mid-80s he had it restored and still put 10,000 miles a year on it, including driing on dirt roads, etc.  He'd take it to shows but got tired of listeing to all the criticism about "rock chips", etc.  He still uses it regularly, having had it restored a second time.  He's had more fun with that car using it for what it was intended for than most anyone who limits their cars to trailers.  Or so it seems to me.

Dirt on the pedal is a Good Thing.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 09:22:58 PM »

George,
Yesterday I saw a clean 66 with a blower coming through the hood.
Sounded big block and square port.
Ah the good old days with 30 cent gas (I was making about $1.50 an hour)
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 04:51:55 AM »

Quote from: WA1GFZ
George,

Never had one with a blower Frank. But there ain't nothing cooler looking.
W4LTM
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 09:23:26 AM »

Quote from: GEORGE/W2AMR
Quote from: WA1GFZ
George,

Never had one with a blower Frank. But there ain't nothing cooler looking.

George - I will admit that a blower has a great "WOW" factor and does have an incredible sound, but I have decided to go a different direction...

I have located a place that can build a complete and polished working 6 deuce intake manifold with polished carbs.  My plan is to put single stacks on each carb and cut circles in the hood to allow the stacks to stick up in the air.  Yup, based off a real Hot Wheels car from the 70's.

Here is the link: http://www.vintagespeed.com/Manifolds.htm

Look at the Chevy 6 Deuce setup and tell me if that is not too cool.

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015