The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:01:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day!...??  (Read 5710 times)
KC8OPP

« on: June 24, 2005, 02:30:32 PM »

OK, I know that it is mostly a pain for most AM opps, but I am trying something here just a bit different.  I have put together a moble AM station and will try to be on the air this evening and in the morning to show some of the local hams some AM operations.  Who knows, maybe I can spark some interest.

Station Details,

6'X12' Cargo trailer with bench for Johnson 500, R-390A, Bogan amp for diode load, freq counter and monitor scope.  Using a D-104 input and out through a HB antenna tunner to 75 ohm CATV hard line to HB ladder line and up to a G5RV style antenna.  

Hopefully some of the local hams will see that you don't have to just lay down your money and screw it together.

Gary (WB8BEM) and I (KC8OPP) will be manning the station and hoping to have guest operators, so if you hear us on give us a call.  Maybe we can spread the good word about AM!

73's
Roger
KC8OPP
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 07:29:12 PM »

FB Roger.  Cheesy
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 10:24:23 PM »

Hi Roger

I will listen out for you guys.

Any idea what times and freqs you will be running?

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 07:06:32 AM »

Hi All:
I will have a Ranger and HRO-5TA1 at Field Day Saturday evening..5PM-11PM.

This will be in Needham, MA under the call W1TKZ.

Dan
W1DAN
W1QWT

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 05:59:26 PM »

Well The Scratch and Sniff Radio Club operated Field Day from BBQ Park in Scituate, Ma. using batteries and QRP. We did make a few calls on 20 meters AM but no answer. Well for that matter we didn't get many answers on SSB either but we had a fine business time drinking beers and BBQ'ing. And after the Scituate Fire Department put the fire out we became the best of friends. They were quite impressed with HAM radio.
Yes we all sat on the group W bench exchanging firefighting stories.
I even brought my guitar out a did a fine rendition of Bob Zimmerman's "Dignity:.
Damn I love Field Day. Who could not? Music, Beer, Burgers, and radio.

And here are the Sniffers! Sniffing!

Regards, Q, W1QWT
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 06:53:03 PM »

Roger,

Looked for you on and off during the Field Day Fiasco, but didn't hear.  If I had, I would have given you a point from:

One Delta, Western New York, K2VH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 08:37:50 PM »

Hey Guys,

Heard you and Gary calling CQ. I was next to, but not part of, the CFARC Field Day activity. Just hanging out in the camp ground with the IC-730 and a whip on the motorhome. Just didn't have enough power to get back to you through the SSB.

Bill KA8WTK
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 10:37:44 PM »

Hi All:

Had a good time at Field Day.

Other than the new gear like HF, VHF, UHF, QRP and PSK-31, I brought the Ranger and HRO-5TA1 to the Wellesley Amateur Radio Field Day.

The D104 crystal mic dies in the heat of the car, and we had to clip lead an SM58 mic for fone.

We made about 6 CW contacts and one AM contact.

Not too many, but fun.

Dan
W1DAN for W1TKZ
KC8OPP

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 06:56:43 AM »

Well just a quick up-date.  Had a good time, but worked my tail off and still had fun.

Friday night we only had a 2000W geneerator so had to key the mic and wait for the motor to come up to speed before we modulated to keep from tripping something.  Around 9:30 Gary was in the middle of a QSO when the generator ran out of gas, 73's all!

Saturday the big generator came out so power was ok.  Big thunder-boomers came through and twisted the HB open wire line, shorting the two together.  The 500 just grunted and put out to the point that we had a small but neat fire on the feed line!  Fixed that and then under modulation I would trip the main breaker on the generator.  Discovered two air conditioners pluged in so off they went and we modulated just fine.  If we were hot and sticky, then the CW opps could be too!

Sunday we checked into the DX-60 net with four guest opps.  Thanks Bill (K8DBN) for letting me get some time on the net.  The guest loved seeing the modulation pattern on the mod scope.

Two most asked questions,  How old did you say this stuff was? and Does it still work?.  I did not make lots of contacts but the reaction from the visiters was worth the time.

They were some pics taken so I will try to track them down to show the set-up.  Yes it was lots of work, but for some it was the first time they had ever seen any HB stuff and I think that I did see some lights come on in a few heads.

Thanks to all we contacted.  It was a great time, in spite of the fires, brown outs and snide comments about how someones plastic radio could do what I had a trailer for.  We were not in field day for the points, but the carry-in on Sat night was worth the weekend!

73's
Roger
KC8OPP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015