The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:31:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supreme Court Rules Cities May Seize Homes  (Read 28076 times)
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2005, 07:53:17 AM »

"Give me a grape and an orange,
and none of that stinkin' root beer."

http://www.slap-shot.com/HanRoot.mp3

Go Duke![/b]
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2005, 09:17:05 PM »

Be glad you don't live in Oregon.  Oregonians passed prop 37 thinking they were protecting themselves when in fact they were handing the power of planning to developers.  Prop 37 says if the government passes any law that reduces the value of a property the government has to pay the owners and it's retroactive.  Sound good  doesn't it?  But what this means is that if you are in an area zoned residential or agricultural or has a minimum lot size or has any use restriction whatsoever and the guy next to you wants to do something else like put in big hotel, a tannery, 2000 condos, a race track, you name it, the government has to change the zoning or pay the guy the difference between the proposed use and the current use.  Remember this is retroactive, so it could have been the way it is for a long time but if your neighbor gets a visit from a developer and likes the money the developer is waving around,  you're screwed.   The cities and counties don't have the money to pay so your beautiful day in the neighborhood is over.

The way to look at this is in Oregon the developers get to do what they want with or without having the local planning commission in their pockets.  

Developers rule.  I think I'm going to go become a developer.  How do I do that?

Jon
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2005, 09:30:31 AM »

Good Day Everyone,

Pretty Grimm outlook on things here, I am very concerned about this situation and the problem with "Being Told No", More and more we're seeing this around here in Pittsburgh and there has been some very public Outrages and personal Law Suits outcroping from moves such as these.

It's funny in my mind Nobody really Owns anything, Actually, we are here for a period of time and then Gone, The Scope of " We " Reality has given way to "Me" and the ever increasing Intraversion has taken a great hold on Society here, as well i have been noticing ever increasing Interaction problems people are having even at the level of simple Childrens League Sporting events.

I know what has caused this and it's growing in quantity every day, and the "Feel Good" syndrome inacted daily aided inpart to this problem, and as such ""No" is Not in the Vocabulary any more, It is Not acceptable, and resources are acted on, and the public good is given way for personal interest.

Power Play.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2005, 11:54:02 AM »

Quote from: Jack-KA3ZLR-
It's funny in my mind Nobody really Owns anything, Actually, we are here for a period of time and then Gone

You are right.  Although there is probably no-one who advocates private property more than myself, some things are destined to outlast us.  We are given stewardship of non-consumable property while we are here, but I feel some obligation to make sure it falls into good hands when I am gone.

Nothing pisses me off more than for someone to adamantly hold onto things they own, showing no interest in letting it go for any price, then later hearing that they ended up hauling it to the dump.

Equally disturbing is when someone dies, the people handling the estate haul off a valuable life-long collection of the departed's belongings to the dump.  I have  heard that story retold dozens of times regarding historic ham radio collections in particular, often because other people in the ham's family HATED amateur radio.  

I remember once seeing a complete collection of QST's in leatherback binders, dating from the early 20's thru the 60's, along with collections of RADIO and other pre-WW2 radio publications, that had been stored in a warehouse after the owner died.  They had been placed in plastic garbage bags.  The warehouse had a leaky roof.  Somehow water got into the garbage bags, and the entire collection composted there and was reduced to solid cubes of paper pulp.  The slick coating on the pages, once wet, turned into glue and it was impossible to separate the pages.  The story goes that the OT took extreme pride in his collection of radio books and magazines, but his wife disliked radio and his pinhead son-in-law took all his radio stuff to the warehouse immediately after he died.  He later put it all up for sale, but nearly all the magazines and a large portion of the other stuff was ruined from water damage.

It almost seems in some cases that when the person dies, his wife immediately calls for someone to come and dispose of the radio collection, and once  all the radio stuff is safely gone from the house, she then calls the undertaker to come and remove the body and prepare for the funeral.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2005, 01:43:01 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv

It almost seems in some cases that when the person dies, his wife immediately calls for someone to come and dispose of the radio collection, and once  all the radio stuff is safely gone from the house, she then calls the undertaker to come and remove the body and prepare for the funeral.

There was a guy in NJ who had dozens of pictures of active AM ham's shacks. He visited a whole lot of stations in the area. Unfortunately, he passed away around 1991. All that stuff just vaporized almost instantly.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2005, 02:53:42 PM »

Quote from: Jack-KA3ZLR-
I'm with Bear on this one, I 'm not much liked in any of the local Scraps going on, matter of fact the last one I entered I stood up for the Local retired folks in my area for the Forced accusition of monies for Proposed water lines and Tap in fees, Look these folks are on fixed incomes for crying out loud let's be Honest here...an they went on an on about Upgrading the community and bettering the water supply etc. Da, money doesn't grow on trees...

He's Right and He should lead as much as an example in his area too, I hope he does. I do. I read those articles in the news papers Chit, Doesn't do any good...Get down to your local Municiple Building and sit in...Good Job Bear...

Hmmm... odd this water thing.

The local "Town Supervisor" here has been trying to ram a "water district" down our throats for about two years. He's tried almost every dirty trick in the books. He claims there's a "health emergency" that is the reason he absolutely has to do this... there is no health emergency. There are some water problems, but the Hamlet here has been around since Colonial times with the same water as now... not many more people either. No one has died yet.

But nearby, they rammed through a water district and there was a story in the paper that owners of EMPTY LAND were being charged a grand a year for water they are not using!! Nice, eh?

And, if you don't pay, what will they do? Take ur land.

They estimate it will take 3 Million dollars for this water thing, and they have done no serious studies of groundwater availability etc... it's fairly obvious that a few people will benefit from the water lines via undeveloped land holdings along a major roadway/corridor... the smell of stink rises.

So far they've been stopped by a series of lawsuiits...

BUT, it's like the local C'ment plant that wanted to burn toxic waste in the kiln. They were relentless. They were rebuffed countless times... but kept coming back. Finally they got it done, people just got tired of fighting them year after year. Like friggin ants they are. No, not ants, Borg.

BTW, the C'ment plant is about 1,000 yards from the Elementary School and the High School. Nice.

What bugs me is that they are managing to push through the SAME STUFF all over the country. Like the "junk car ordinances". You can't keep cars. Why? Do we really need to ship all of our scrap to China? How come every town has the same law?

And the stupid "tower laws"!! How come every town seems to have the same damn tower laws???

In the words of George Harrison: "...all through the day I. me, mine, I me mine..."

<</rant>>

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2005, 01:49:28 AM »

What bugs me is that they are managing to push through the SAME STUFF all over the country. Like the "junk car ordinances". You can't keep cars. Why? Do we really need to ship all of our scrap to China? How come every town has the same law?

And the stupid "tower laws"!! How come every town seems to have the same damn tower lawsHuh

There has to be some kind collusion amongst local governments nationwide.  It would be an unlikely coincidence that nearly identical laws, regulations and ordinances are popping in towns all over the country at about the same time.

Another example:  lately I have been carded at several different  localities when I buy beer, even though I am 63 years old.  Not too long ago, during a trip to Ohio, I ran into the SAME SHIT.  Now is that  a mere coincidence?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ott

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2005, 02:11:39 AM »

Quote from: k4kyv

And the stupid "tower laws"!! How come every town seems to have the same damn tower laws???

There has to be some kind collusion amongst local governments nationwide.  It would be an unlikely coincidence that nearly identical laws, regulations and ordinances are popping in towns all over the country at about the same time.

Another example:  lately I have been carded at several different  localities when I buy beer, even though I am 63 years old.  Not too long ago, during a trip to Ohio, I ran into the SAME SHIT.  Now is that  a mere coincidence?

Don...

Their just getting you prepared emotionally for your identity chip... or the mark of the beast... I always get the two confused...
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2005, 05:07:10 AM »

One thing i've always admired about politicians and Virsuses, they tend to Travel after Reeking their Havoc.

Down through the years I've watched municipalities in my area here bring in outside Fresh meat, with the premise of "Fresh Ideas" only to find out the opposite and the only thing that's fresh is the Face. Oh Well.

Such is the Nature of that Beast, Well it worked here, it'll Work there.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2005, 08:25:10 AM »

Now that all you guys have had a good P&M with this one another case of this cropped up in our fine state.
My OM reminded me that our fine president pulled this when the Texas Rangers need a new field.  Gee and now he could select 2 Supreme Court Judges to relect his upstanding views.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015