The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:51:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patiently Awaiting FedEx Ground  (Read 4255 times)
W6FO
« on: June 22, 2005, 01:14:40 PM »

FedEx Ground should be here in aboot 20 minutes with my FT-102. They actually just called to confirm my address because the shipper forgot to put my biz name on the label. Heh.  Yup, it's a ricer but a pretty decent one and will get me back on the air while I start building a more respectable AM station.

I'm excited, this is my first base rig since 1990.  I've been running mobile only since 1992.  Antenna wire has been ordered to build a 125' doublet fed with homemade ladder line and I've dug out an old HiFi from the 70's to run the audio through.  I've also started collecting some other audio gear.

To get on the air with regular SSB until I mod the rig for proper AM usage, I need to start building a transmatch and get a microphone.

JT - W6FO
W6FO
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 03:04:15 PM »

Well, the rig has arrived.. and looks to be in one piece.  I'm going to pop the covers when I bring the rig home tonight and give it a good visual.  I'll then stick a random wire on her and see if I can hear anything.  

Need to get the doublet in the air.

JT - W6FO
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 03:31:47 PM »

JT -

I'm one who badmouths Yaecomwoods on occasion as plug-n-play boxes, disposable door stops, etc. I just like old tube gear more.

Being on AM is what matters, not how you get there. I've heard a lot more riceboxes on in recent months than ever before. I think it's great that so many folks are finding AM again. Sure - a lot of them could sound better, but more importantly - they could be on SSB instead.

My excuse is not having any wire up in the air. Everytime I think I'm close, something intervenes. Was away the last two weekends, and it rained whenever I wasn't gone. Decided to skip the Field Day trip this year in favor of getting caught up at home. Might even get an antenna up.

If I had something in the air and only an AM-capable ricebox for a rig, you can bet I'd be on.

~ Todd  'KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W6FO
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 03:39:40 PM »

Quote from: Todd, KA1KAQ
Being on AM is what matters, not how you get there.

Precisely Todd.  With a few mods, the FT-102 can sound good on AM.  I also have K1JJ guiding me along this AM path as well.  I'll make this Yaesu sounding good, both on transmit and receive, eventually.

- JT
W6FO
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 09:54:10 PM »

Just opened the rig and all appears to be very clean and in good shape. Meter lamps are burnt out but the previous owner sent along new lamps, I just need to install them.

Need to get the antenna up.  Smiley

- JT
W8AMD
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 12:05:56 AM »

Good luck with the Yaesu JT.  I'm using a solid state ricebox (Icom 718) and sometimes an amp for AM right now so your Yaesu has more boat anchor appeal than my rig.  Working on getting an old Globe Scout Deluxe going.  Only about 50 watts plate modulated but I do have the amp.  That will do until I homebrew something better.

We all run what we want or can.  The main thing is we run it AM!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015