The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:26:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75A-4 with a steering wheel  (Read 7719 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: June 17, 2005, 11:34:33 PM »

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WV Hoopie
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 11:52:53 PM »

Darn glad the newer models have power steering,
wa2zdy
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 12:17:14 PM »

Nice receiver.  It looks familiar . . .
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 02:00:35 PM »

That's the Art Collins Fine Tuning Module for the 75A4. I would presume you will see it prominately displayed at the CCA Museum in Johnstown, PA

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 06:00:45 PM »

Oh my God oh my God Oh my God someone actually had the NERVE to modify a Collins receiver?  

Looks like the steering wheel off my lawn tractor.  The lawn tractor is about as good a receiver as a 75A-4 too.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 08:19:50 PM »

What'll they think of next? A 75A-4 that'll tune in to W2VJZ and cut your lawn at the same time. Makes me wanna go out and mown the lawn all day listening to good oldfashioned preachin 'bout Jesus,Jefferson, and Jersey!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 10:13:10 PM »

It's amazing what some hams will do to not have to pay the outrageous prices that 4 to 1 reduction knobs are commanding these days....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5769356689
wavebourn
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 01:56:51 AM »

I saw vintage Zenyth receivers with such steering wheels.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 02:55:20 AM »

Quote from: Ed - N3LHB
It's amazing what some hams will do to not have to pay the outrageous prices that 4 to 1 reduction knobs are commanding these days....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5769356689

Wow.  I paid $35 for mine back in the early 80's from the old Ham Trader Yellow Sheets.  Box had never been opened.  Everything, even the tiny washers and set screws, was sealed in its own miniature manilla envelope with the collins part number stamped on the outside.

I suspect collectors today would not be interested in opening the box of a virgin unit, but would put it on the shelf as a collector item with no intent to ever install it in a receiver.

I paid only $100 for the receiver, with all 3 filters included.  Someone had busted the spinner knob and then ruined the vernier mechanism trying to remove it, using an allen wrench instead of the spline tool required.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
km1r
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 06:09:56 PM »

no no no, thats the very rare

RAPID QSY CONTEST MODEL 'A4

zoooooooooom !

Mike KM1R
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005, 11:18:48 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv

Wow.  I paid $35 for mine back in the early 80's from the old Ham Trader Yellow Sheets.  Box had never been opened.  Everything, even the tiny washers and set screws, was sealed in its own miniature manilla envelope with the collins part number stamped on the outside.

I paid only $100 for the receiver, with all 3 filters included.  

That may be ... But that was then, and this is now :-)  

Still $600 for a 4:1 thingy is ridiculous.  Someone made a run of repro 4:1 units that were resonably priced (reasonable is a relative term, of course) not too long ago.  Under $200, as I recall.

For that amount of money I could learn to tune very s-l-o-o-o-w-ly without the 4:1 :-)
wa2zdy
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 06:32:02 AM »

Quote from: km1r
no no no, thats the very rare

RAPID QSY CONTEST MODEL 'A4

zoooooooooom !

Ahhhhh thnks Mike.  I've been wondering, and now thanks to you it all make sense!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 11:52:42 AM »

Quote from: nq5t
$600 for a 4:1 thingy is ridiculous.  Someone made a run of repro 4:1 units that were resonably priced (reasonable is a relative term, of course) not too long ago.  Under $200, as I recall.

For that amount of money I could learn to tune very s-l-o-o-o-w-ly without the 4:1 :-)

Now that that sale on e-pay has occurred, everyone will want at least $600 for a NIB spinner knob and vernier mechanism.  Used units will go for less, but if in good shape, not much less.

Considering the current, going price of the receiver, $200 is not bad.  That's what a repro 6-kc AM mechanical filter, that works identically to the original, is sold for in the Electric Radio ad.

Lacking a stock or repro vernier mechanism, a substitute could be fabricated using a National Velvet Vernier dial, similar to the ones on the BC-375 tuning unit.  They were sold by National as a type "AM" dial.  (I would avoid dismantling an original pre-WW2 type A round bakelite dial - they are too valuable).

Without drilling any holes in the A4 cabinet, a bracket could be fabricated to mount, using the two tapped screw holes on either side of the shaft hole, originally used to mount the stock 1:1 feedthrough bushing. The replacement $600 vernier mechanism originally made by Collins employs those holes for mounting purposes.  The 1-100 dial skirt should be discarded since it serves no useful purpose in this application.  A bigger knob, to cover up the outer edge of the vernier mechanism could be used if one is found.  I have never tried it, but the tiny dial skirt used on the BC-375 T/U could be modified by enlarging the hole in the middle, and the rim epoxied to the tuning knob - epoxy sticks well to both metal and bakelite, so the two ought to be able to be easily fused.

This mod wouldn't look as nice as a stock Collins vernier, but it would certainly be less ridiculous than the steering wheel shown in the photo.

- - -
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 03:26:31 PM »

Now I know where I've seen that tuning knob... That's the tuning knob from a land of the giants SX-28!!  :lol:  :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015