The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:58:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Howdy folks!  (Read 14109 times)
« on: June 16, 2005, 03:51:34 AM »

I posted here a few times under my old call AB8RP.  Was getting the AM bug then, well not exactly I never got the AM bug I have always held a strong interest in the mode since I was an SWL in my early teens in the late 60's.

Anyway after I started here under my old call I ran into personal problems and vacated amateur radio.  Now I'm back and looking to get set up in AM.  Have a line on a Globe Scout Deluxe.  May have it in a week or so.  Have a Heathkit HR 10 receiver that I'm monitoring 3.885 with as I type so once I get the Scout I will only need a t/r relay and eventually (money is tight) a different receiver.  I have emotional ties to the HR 10 I built it when I was an early teen.

Till then I am stuck with my ricebox(Icom 718)/amp (Yaesu FL 2100) setup.  It will do the job but I do want to get more into the spirit of the mode.

This place seems like a great resource.  I am versed in basic electronics but you folks seem to be the source of knowledge that is pertinent to the mode.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 06:31:23 AM »

Welcome aboard Larry.

We have a great group of people here and I am sure if you have questions  - - - someone here can help you out,

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 10:33:17 AM »

Hi Larry -

What G said, welcome and there are multitudes of great/knowledgable folk here to help out. I've been inactive myself over the last 8-10 years also due to personal issues (life got too damned busy!), but now that I'm on the road back there is no shortage of help as well as encouragement. Be it parts, ideas, inspiration, or just reassurance before you throw the big switch, you've come to the best possible place you could have come to for AM and vintage gear help.

After not being able to even listen for a while due to travel and such, I was amazed to turn on the receiver and hear so many users with riceboxes on AM. Some even sounded pretty decent. Used to hear maybe one a day before, now I hear several. Sure, I agree with wanting to get on with vintage gear for the thrill and experience of 'radio', but don't let it stop you. Fire up the Yaecomwood and hammer away. As time and funds permit, bring the other gear online. Give some thought to running some real power too, not because the little PW rigs are a bad thing, but more for the times when the band is noisy and SSB stations try to take over the frequency because they can't (or don't want to) hear you.

Above all else - enjoy!  Cheesy

~ Todd 'KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 11:21:18 AM »

Welcome back Larry.

I am quite new here as well, just joined last week.  I'm in the process of building a new base HF station after a long time being restricted to mobile operations only with my IC-706MKIIG.  I've finally moved to a new QTH here in four land (from six land) and can finally put up some antennae.  I'm currently debating whether I should get a 4-land call but W6FO is just too damn cool.

There is nothing wrong with a properly configured, and operated, rice box.  I just purchased a Yaesu FT-102 and will be tweaking and optimizing it for proper AM usage.  However, I will also be building some Class E equipment once I have a usable and respectable station on the air.

JT, W6FO/4
w8rca
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 01:50:31 PM »

Larry,
Welcome! There are many of us who aren't as active as we once were due to personal reasons but the want to is still there and burning. I hope to hear you on 3.885 sooner than later at "The Wattage Cottage".
Best Regards,
Greg W8RCA
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 05:44:33 PM »

Hello there Larry,

Welcome aboard Om...
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 05:52:43 PM »

Larry,
         Welcome aboard and hope to hear you on the air!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 06:45:11 PM »

Hello Larry. Nice to meet you! You will like this place alot. Just be ready to deploy the shields once in a while :lol: . 73 Ed HVS

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 08:40:37 PM »

Welcome back Larry! Have fun.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 02:24:57 AM »

Well thanks for the (Re)Welcome.  

I got the Globe Scout Deluxe today.  It seems to be in fairly good shape  Needs a lot of cleaning but that's to be expected.  The rectifier (5R4GYB) has a burnt out filiment.  It's getting HV to the rectifier and filiment voltage.  Need to get a 5R4 before I can continue to check it out.  I only have a 5U4 laying around.  

I was a tv/radio repairmen back when they still put tubes in the things.  Been a long time since I fooled much with troubleshooting/repair but it will be fun to get back to tinkering.  Eventualy I want to put together an 813 rig or at least something that will do 200 plate modulated watts and use the scout as an exciter.

Tried my luck with the Icom for a bit on 75 tonight but my pw signal didn't draw any bites.  The S9 + noise level here didn't help either.  75 in the summer  Ya gotta love it!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 06:52:18 AM »

Lemme know if you need a 5R4, Larry.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 04:41:32 PM »

Quote from: w3jn
Lemme know if you need a 5R4, Larry.

73 John

Check your PMs.  I do need to start building a parts inventory.  Been out of electronic repair and experimentaion a long time.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 05:30:41 PM »

Welcome, Larry.  I need to get on the air at least on night a year myself.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015