The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:28:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F.M. Broadcast  (Read 9135 times)
wb1aij
« on: June 13, 2005, 09:40:52 AM »

Did anyone happen to tune into the F.M. Broadcast on 42.8 mhz from the old Major Armstrong site on Saturday? I was ready to receive with 2 separate antennas, one omni with a preamp & one directional with a preamp. I listened from 11:45 am until 12:30 pm on Saturday and heard absolutely nothing; couldn't even tell there was a signal there.  Did it go off a planned?

Bob
WB1AIJ
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 10:02:49 AM »

Nothing heard in the DC area.

I think they plan a web rebroadcast on www.wfdu.fm at 7 p.m. on June 14 and June 16, 2005.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
WB2CAU

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:08:39 PM »

I couldn't even pick up WFDU 89.1 here with the simulcast...

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
George, K2XL
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 03:50:30 PM »

The Armstrong FM broadcast on 42.8 MC came in loud and strong at my QTH. After the four hour broadcast classical music was then played for about another four hours without any ID. WFDU came in very well too.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 04:13:47 PM »

They plan to make the whole thing downloadable soon. If not, I have it and can make CD's pending permission. No signal on the 42.8 freq here 95 miles away.
WB2CAU

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 10:48:20 AM »

Quote from: Dave Calhoun W2APE
They plan to make the whole thing downloadable soon. If not, I have it and can make CD's pending permission. No signal on the 42.8 freq here 95 miles away.

Dave, I've uploaded recordings to my site for availability to anyone who clicked on the link I've provided in this forum.  I believe it to be legal to do so since I'm not receiving money for it, and I'm playing what was already in the public domain. If you want, send me the CD, I'll convert to an appropriate bit rate in MP3 format and post it for all to hear in this forum. What do you think?

Eric - WB2CAU

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 11:02:02 AM »

Hi Eric, I have it on VHS right now. I was going to burn it later in the week if needed. If you need it then I can send a copy to your QRZ address.
Ott

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 12:49:48 PM »

Quote from: George, K2XL
The Armstrong FM broadcast on 42.8 MC came in loud and strong at my QTH. After the four hour broadcast classical music was then played for about another four hours without any ID. WFDU came in very well too.

Afternoon XL...

They're looing for reception reports... might get yourself a really FB piece of wallpaper for the effort...

http://www.wa2xmn.ar88.net/

George, K2XL
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 03:17:48 PM »

Hi OTT,

I sent in a reception report during the first hour of the broadcast.
If I get a QSL card I'll post it here.

The entire program will be rebroadcast on the Web at 7 p.m. on June 14 and June 16.
www.wfdu.fm

Save it to your HD, etc.
Ott

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 07:18:43 PM »

Hi OTT,

I sent in a reception report during the first hour of the broadcast.
If I get a QSL card I'll post it here.

The entire program will be rebroadcast on the Web at 7 p.m. on June 14 and June 16.
www.wfdu.fm

Save it to your HD, etc.
\

Tnx George... that will be something to see...
George, K2XL
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 11:39:50 PM »

I've uploaded recordings to my site for availability to anyone who clicked on the link I've provided in this forum.

Hi Eric,

What is the URL for your website ? ? ?
I searched your profile and QRZ but nothing came up.

TNX,
George, K2XL

BTW: Congratulations on your new old call OM ! ! !
WB2CAU

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 06:40:17 AM »

Sorry George, I was unclear about the site.  I had uploaded OTHER recordings in the past, but don't have the historic one in discussion currently.  And the "site" is merely a storage location that I have to provide a link to after uploading.  I don't have a searchable website... at least yet.

Yeah, I later regretted losing my original call to the vanity change and decided to get my old call back... but now the original call sign is a vanity call sign... hey, we sometimes make bad choices and for a small fee, I corrected it.

And yes, Dave, if you want me to upload it, a CD to my QRZ address is "okay fine" with me.

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 11:13:50 AM »

I read more details on the broadcast today...Engineer Steve Hemphill had built a replica Armstrong "Phasitron" transmitter for the event...250 watts into a modded Ringo Ranger vertical at 400' up. The call letters of the station were WA2XMN. ..And there was a big party at the tower site thrown by CSC Management, owner of the Alpine tower during the event.

Very kewl.

-
Ott

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 02:22:37 AM »

I've uploaded recordings to my site for availability to anyone who clicked on the link I've provided in this forum.

Hi Eric,

TNX,
George, K2XL

Hi George...

The program is now available by bittorrent download at:

http://www.cscmgt.com/index.html

A might slow going though... a 240 mb file to drop yet only downloading here at 2 to 3 kb/s in spite of a broadband connection... this is my first experience with torrents... don't know how fast they should drop to begin with but it seems that the speed is dependent on the number of other people dropping the file at the same time... right now theres only one person on-line to get the file from so... unless more people show up, this download is looking to take about 20 or more hours to complete... still... its free... hard to complain about free...
George, K2XL
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 03:10:23 PM »

Eric,

Thanks for the clarification... and I like you new old call too.

Ott,

Thanks for the link... I'll try it later.

My friend Dave, N2DS has an MP3 of the broadcast on his site that opens in WMP. It's about 15 MB. It can be saved to a file and then burnt to a CD for archiving.  

http://www.schmarder.com/radios/others/w-a-2-x-m-n.mp3
Ott

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 03:58:20 PM »

Eric,

Thanks for the clarification... and I like you new old call too.

Ott,

Thanks for the link... I'll try it later.

My friend Dave, N2DS has an MP3 of the broadcast on his site that opens in WMP. It's about 15 MB. It can be saved to a file and then burnt to a CD for archiving.  

http://www.schmarder.com/radios/others/w-a-2-x-m-n.mp3

Afternoon George...

Well yesterday, that rather slow torrent of the entire program just stopped for what appeared to be no particular reason... turned out that one of the many segments of the torrent file had a permission issue and was withdrawn... the file has since been recompiled by its owners to avoid the permission problem and is again available for download... after re-clicking their recompiled link, the new torrent landed here right away... its been going back out at the full speed too... well over a Gb worth in the last day... I'll leave the torrent up for a few weeks so anyone that wants it can get it...

Like FM, torrent technology is simply amazing...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015