The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:53:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Issues $21,000 NAL to K1MAN  (Read 59879 times)
w3bv
« on: June 12, 2005, 10:20:29 PM »

Licensee of Amateur Radio Station K1MAN
File. No. EB-04-BS-111
NAL/Acct. No. 200532260001
FRN 0013164975

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/K1MAN14275/myhomepage/business.html
WV Hoopie
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 11:42:56 PM »

Cheesy
Guess more news to follow, I'll wait until the fat lady sings.

73's
wd8kdg
Craig
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 12:07:23 AM »

Whatever happens to Glenn, I can only hope that somebody does have to answer for the selective enforcement patterns of the FCC.

Not many years ago, I watched as just about every single evening for YEARS, a "swisher" jammed any AM operation in the 3870-3890 KHz region for hour after hour starting at around 10:30PM.  Nothing ever happened to the swisher.

But during the same period, some kid got a hold of a Viking II and played music on 3820 one night.  Around 2AM, some FCC guy showed up and busted him.  Priorities are priorities!

Can you say SELECTIVE ENFORCEMENT?  Because I sure can!

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
WV Hoopie
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 12:28:12 AM »

Quote from: Bacon, WA3WDR
Whatever happens to Glenn, I can only hope that somebody does have to answer for the selective enforcement patterns of the FCC.

Not many years ago, I watched as just about every single evening for YEARS, a "swisher" jammed any AM operation in the 3870-3890 KHz region for hour after hour starting at around 10:30PM.  Nothing ever happened to the swisher.

But during the same period, some kid got a hold of a Viking II and played music on 3820 one night.  Around 2AM, some FCC guy showed up and busted him.  Priorities are priorities!

Can you say SELECTIVE ENFORCEMENT?  Because I sure can!

As I've been told and experienced, Life ain't fair.
Art
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 06:20:00 AM »

Thanks Alan. Hopefully this sets the stage for a conclusion of a most regrettable demise. It appears k1man had a real opportunity to do something of use to the amateur radio service (the positive citations of a decade or more ago) and squandered it.  

As for selective enforcement . . . well, that's another topic . .
wb1aij
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 09:20:13 AM »

Can you say SELECTIVE ENFORCEMENT?  Because I sure can![/quote]

Many drivers speed or run stop signs and red lights. The police can't get them all but the ones that they DO get are guilty. Same applies to the F.C.C., they can't bust every violator but that doesn't exeronate the ones that get caught.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 09:34:28 AM »

No.  The swisher was massively overt, he was on there almost every night after 10PM for hour after hour, and clearly he was deliberately allowed to continue.  There can be no question about it.  Anyone who was around at that time and heard that crap will tell you that FCC inaction simply could not have been an oversight.

The FCC loves to talk about possible interference to distress calls when they talk about illegal transmissions.  I'm surprised they don't somehow throw child abuse in for good measure.  But when it comes to real interference, it depends who is on the receiving end.

But OK, Riley is a huge improvement over the jive turkeys that came before him.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
WV Hoopie
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 10:02:49 AM »

Quote from: Bacon, WA3WDR
No.  The swisher was massively overt, he was on there almost every night after 10PM for hour after hour, and clearly he was deliberately allowed to continue.

Don't leave any possiblities out, FCC? Nah, our government never does wrong. Someone from the ARRL, nah, that organization has always supported AM. Or, just one of the many that love to share misery with others, like N1IR.

Anyway, got to hand it to K1man, you heard it first from his web-site. Art, you are correct, many squander their efforts rather than add to society.

73's
wd8kdg
Craig
KA1ZGC
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 01:19:22 PM »

Quote from: w3bv
File. No. EB-04-BS-111
FRN 0013164975

Are you sure about this? I cross-referenced this on the FCC website and found no such NAL.

In fact, the File # and NAL # yielded no results whatsoever. I went through EDOCS seven ways from Sunday and got nothing.

Before everyone jumps up and says "ham NALs aren't posted on the FCC website", yes they are. Warning letters aren't, but all NOVs and NALs are posted to the website and published in the register.

Of course, this is the same guy that published a letter thanking the FCC field engineers for letting him tour their van, when they never even went to his station.

This is very likely a hoax.

--Thom
Kilimunjaro Africa One Zulu Goat Cheese
W1IA

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 02:16:36 PM »

Quote from: KA1ZGC
File. No. EB-04-BS-111
FRN 0013164975

Are you sure about this? I cross-referenced this on the FCC website and found no such NAL.

In fact, the File # and NAL # yielded no results whatsoever. I went through EDOCS seven ways from Sunday and got nothing.

Before everyone jumps up and says "ham NALs aren't posted on the FCC website", yes they are. Warning letters aren't, but all NOVs and NALs are posted to the website and published in the register.

Of course, this is the same guy that published a letter thanking the FCC field engineers for letting him tour their van, when they never even went to his station.

--Thom

Justanother line of BS Tom....but we can dream can't we?

BTina

Run What Ya Brung!
wa2zdy
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 02:59:45 PM »

Next he'll be using this "NAL" as fodder for some anti-FCC rhetoric and to "shame" his blind minions into donating selflessly to help him offset the personal cost of this "NAL."  

Some folks . . .
KA1ZGC
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 03:36:10 PM »

Quote from: W1IA
File. No. EB-04-BS-111
FRN 0013164975

--Thom

Justanother line of BS Tom....but we can dream can't we?

BTina

Dream away, just keep it dry, guys!

This is a classic "Newsweek": rumors becoming facts and taking on a life of their own before anyone tries to confirm the rumor. By then, of course, it's too late.

Five minutes was all it took in this instance, and everybody here is smart enough to do the same thing I did.

If anyone dislikes my Newsweek example, substitute "New York Times", "BBC", or "CBS" and the effect is the same.

I'll bet you dollars to doughnut holes that Glenn is surfing from one site to the next just to see people's responses and laugh at them, clutching his gut and screaming "sucker" at the top of his lungs.

I wonder how many more unsubstanciated rumors have been accepted as fact, even when the source is famous for launching misinformation campaigns. I'm not just talking about ham radio, either.

Food for thought.

...-.-

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 01:10:42 PM »

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-259301A1.html

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Art
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 02:09:56 PM »

wowsers . . . Glen can really do up a good hoax . . .

-ap :shock:
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 02:18:52 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv

That is hot offa the press. It was not there late yesterday afternoon. Good news.

Keep the laser running there are a few more hemorrhoids to dice.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005, 02:21:33 PM »

Now can this clown play the "I don't have any money" game? What is a KW-1 worth these days? Knock off a few dollars to repair whatever makes it splatter so badly.
w3bv
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 02:22:39 PM »

" Five minutes was all it took...."

Sometimes you have to devote more than 5 minutes to a task to get accurate results...
KA1ZGC
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 02:45:33 PM »

Sometimes you have to devote more than 5 minutes to a task to get accurate results...

It wasn't in the database or the register when I checked.

So five minutes wasn't enough, but it was more effort than anyone else put in. Five hours wouldn't have been enough.

I stand by my point: it's not a fact if it doesn't come from the source. Now it's a fact.

I'll take my lashes now, but I still say the gun was jumped.

--Thom
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005, 02:50:02 PM »

It wasn't in the database or the register when I checked.

So five minutes wasn't enough, but it was more effort than anyone else put in. Five hours wouldn't have been enough.

I stand by my point: it's not a fact if it doesn't come from the source. Now it's a fact.

I'll take my lashes now, but I still say the gun was jumped.

--Thom

Know you know powel of FCC kung fu.
WV Hoopie
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2005, 02:59:10 PM »

Quote from: Dave Calhoun W2APE
Quote from: k4kyv

That is hot offa the press. It was not there late yesterday afternoon. Good news.

Keep the laser running there are a few more hemorrhoids to dice.

I looked yesterday, also. No NAL for Mr. Baxter then. Today is a different story, the Fat Lady is searching for her pitch pipe.

73's
wd8kdg
Craig
w3bv
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2005, 03:01:38 PM »

Fact was, the database hadn't been updated for some time when you searched which should have been pretty obvious from looking at the dates of the latest NALs that were in the database at the time.

A simple phone call to the Enforcement Bureau would have confirmed the validity of Glenn's posting...rushing to the opposite conclusion was, of course, faster....
WV Hoopie
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2005, 03:16:48 PM »

W3BV

Saved a dime, anyway its an interesing read. Wanta bet a soda Glen drags it out in court? Could be a while before the Fat Lady sings the last note.

73's
wd8kdg
Craig
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2005, 03:27:30 PM »

Quote from: WV Hoopie
W3BV

Saved a dime, anyway its an interesing read. Wanta bet a soda Glen drags it out in court? Could be a while before the Fat Lady sings the last note.

73's
wd8kdg
Craig
 Would it be like M.J.s? Cud be like a armed standoff. The parachute drop team to the rescue :lol:

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
KA1ZGC
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2005, 05:00:43 PM »

Fact was, the database hadn't been updated for some time when you searched which should have been pretty obvious from looking at the dates of the latest NALs that were in the database at the time.

If NALs were issued on a daily basis, you might draw that conclusion. They aren't.

A simple phone call to the Enforcement Bureau would have confirmed the validity of Glenn's posting...rushing to the opposite conclusion was, of course, faster....

Did you call the EB?

--Thom
w3bv
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2005, 07:07:00 PM »

Again, when you searched the NAL database it should have been apparent  to you that perhaps it wasn't current given the date of the latest NAL entry and the date of the NAL issued to K1MAN (which, as of last night, was dated almost a week after the last entry in the database).

Rather than realize that the database might not yet reflect the latest Commission action (as is often the case) YOU jumped the gun and concluded the report of the NAL was bogus and launched into accusations about false news reporting, etc.,- apparently providing you with an opportunity  to express your own bias.

No one asserted or intimated that NAL's were issued daily, which is irrelevant to the point anyway.

In the future, rather than jump to conclusions about Commission actions (or inaction), you might want to contact them first, toll-free, at  1-888-225-5322. They will be happy to answer your questions or direct you to those who can.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015