The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:18:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Thoughts  (Read 6366 times)
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« on: June 11, 2005, 04:47:58 PM »

http://www.hamelectronics.com/k1deu/pages/_freedom/ham/index.htm

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNØ54
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 09:39:19 PM »

Interesting but doesn't add up. If more regulation creates more conflict, there would have been far more conflict in the good old days of the 50's (those which John claims were far better).
W1GFH
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 10:37:30 PM »

Interesting rant, but unfocused and somewhat confusing. I wonder what he means by "traditional ham initiations"? Almost 30 years ago my new WB1 callsign attracted the on-air criticism of old buzzard hams who commented on the ignorance of "90 day wonders" like me and grumbled that ham radio was surely going to the dogs. Stuff like that never bothered me and I found it slightly amusing, as one would a grandfather's eccentricities.

Trying to become a ham by oneself from a book loses many things which were tutored to beginners privately.

True, we're slowly losing many of the old gentlemanly traditions like considerate operating, Elmering, and giving spare parts and components to fellow hams that can use them (rather than selling them to the highest bidder on eBay).
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 11:38:28 PM »

Ya Know G we have to introduce young people to the service any way we can man, yunns guys know how i am about that, I'm cool with what that brother has to say, it's important, But we don't leave the children behind man see i'm not about all of that it makes it that much more important.

I agree with the complaint about the system, that's why it's so important to show them How to work within and change the system.

From the heart G.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 12:00:35 AM »

I just said interesting thoughts Jack.

They are not mine.

G - The INR

SWLR-RNØ54
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 12:37:51 AM »

Hi G,

I Know man, but i also know this is being read by a large cross section of readers right, and I want them to see and understand that what we put forth here is positive, and there are ways to bring about change it is possible nothing is set in concrete no matter what others try to lead us to believe.

I read what he said about the service dieing off, I don't accept that, unless the Builders decide to do that, and building today is just as vibrant as can be had, we can ask the Class E guys for starters, it's there brother, and We Have the Power to make a difference, Just by Example.

See people are so wound up in this ARRL and FCC handshaking they negate it's the operators that make the difference without us they're Nobody...we have to turn the thinking back into the hands that do the real work..US..

Without US what do they have...Right... we don't answer to them they answer to US.. the Logic's there it's just simple understanding that needs to be refocused... Simple..

And I'll work just as hard that needs be to do just that., Change the Learning curve in the right direction.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 07:54:44 AM »

Well Jack what is important to me is that all feel comfortable posting their opinions and they are not attacked for doing so. If I am sent something ( as I was in this case) to be posted I will post it.

This site will allow all thoughts to be expressed, positive,negative, whatever. We will not censor except in extreme cases.

ALL viewpoints are welcome here, and that IS positve!

G - The INR

SWLR-RNØ54
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 09:58:46 AM »

Quote from: W2INR
If I am sent something ( as I was in this case) to be posted I will post it.

Why couldn't the person who sent it post it? Or the person who wrote it?
W1GFH
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 01:20:37 PM »

The Ham Law's

These laws were passed along to me, KN1DEU, in 1957 by the Teachers of the Hoosac Valley Radio Club in North Adams, MA and verified by its members who were operating the Long Wave frequencies way before there was any FCC or ARRL. By virtue of transmitter and receiver performance in these early Spark Gap Days, there was even more of a QRM problem between stations than there is today.  Obviously these are only private suggestions.  Also see the " Channel Spacing " article on main page.

1. Before starting out, amateurs should develop their own unique "HAM" character personalities to entertain others. Their ham personalities should be far more engaging than their normal off air personalities.

2. Amateurs should devote 80% of their time and money to the antenna system. Included in an antenna system are feed lines, tuners and wooden towers. Courtesy requires transmitting a strong signal that is easily copied by all.

3. Amateurs know, "the weaker they are, the longer they talk." Thus, amateurs who know they have weak signals regardless of their excitement should show consideration for those who receive their transmissions. They should keep their transmissions very short.

4. A good operator should be able to put on many different operating uniforms allowing all styles; Long winded (blown away) transmissions, Short break-ins and Net Control duty.  And not have the fear of being in public and  being interrupted  or confronted  and asked a direct question that they might not be able to answer. And should be easily able to say "I'm sorry but I don't know".  An operator should have all of these operating shirts and be able to pull them up instantly anytime and even mix them together at  anytime in QSO's.

5. Amateurs should mainly use the equipment they construct and repair. Purchasing factory built receivers is sometimes allowed.  All are encouraged to build their own transmitters.

6. Amateurs should not seek sympathy by using the air waves to repeatedly vent their personal frustrations.

7. Amateurs should listen for a fair period and ask if the frequency is in use before transmitting initially.

8. All have an equal voice in ham radio regardless of age or position. Thus, a janitor has as much say, and vote, as a company president, and a teenager as much as an octogenarian. Everyone is addressed by his or her handle ( chosen nickname ) and call sign. Note: As a young kid, I thought it great-- but scary, that I didn't have to wait until I was 18 to learn, think, ask questions, and vote responsibly !

9. Amateurs should not require money to help others become radio amateurs, but should exact a promise from the person helped that they also will help others even strangers without monetary compensation.

10. As you construct your experiments, always remember that its absolutely normal for most of them not to function. This abstract is necessary to learn, as most good things in life come slowly with patience.

11. Discussions of Politics and Religion are only for some and should be limited to the 75 meter Phone band.   

In 1957  the Hoosac Valley Radio Club in North Adams, MA was actively seeking out local normal citizens and even kids and helping them with their start in HAM Radio.  I was in a small class of about 10 in 1957 meeting in a school basement. Nine of us received our Novice licenses several months later with myself and a close buddy receiving the strange newer prefix calls KN1DEU and KN1DOW. All the others received WN1 calls ( re-issued W1 calls). Strangely, but perhaps only  because Russ and I received the full brunt of all the funny " K "  initiation prefix teasing, within 3 months only Russ and I had passed our General Class Exams at FCC, 1600 Customs House, Boston, Massachusetts.  All the others only became Technician Class W1's stuck forever on 6 meters and higher like my buddy Mike, W1HHB.

OK, reading further, now I understand what he means by "traditional ham initiations". As he says they are only private suggestions, but coming from an olde buzzard Elmer, they would seem like "laws". Also I see they are from a group in Massachusetts and have a certain non-nonsense, Yankee sensibility.

I think most hams are/were highly influenced by their Elmers. One tends to adopt Elmer's opinions and pick up some of his quirks.

Before starting out, amateurs should develop their own unique "HAM" character personalities to entertain others.

Probably better to just be yourself. But I can see how the olde hams endowed a sense of drama to ham radio, e.g. "this is K9XXX, the voice of Podunk"

Amateurs should devote 80% of their time and money to the antenna system

Has since been verified a plain comon sense.

Amateurs know, "the weaker they are, the longer they talk."

True, and an oft-repeated joke.

A good operator should be able to put on many different operating uniforms/styles

The old timers were quite flexible, most could handle net control duties as well as ragchew with the best of them.

Amateurs should mainly use the equipment they construct and repair.

Agree, but this applies to a time when state of the art ham equipment could actually be built at home.

Amateurs should not seek sympathy by using the air waves to repeatedly vent their personal frustrations.

Unless it is charmingly done, a la Timtron.

Amateurs should listen for a fair period and ask if the frequency is in use before transmitting initially.

Agree, courtesy is key.

All have an equal voice in ham radio regardless of age or position

A kid in his parent's basement could talk to Barry Goldwater or King Hussein. This was always one of the cool things about ham radio.

Amateurs should not require money to help others become radio amateur

Elmering: a pretty good tradition.

As you construct your experiments, always remember that its absolutely normal for most of them not to function.

Wish I'd heard this sooner. It would have saved a lot of frustration.

Discussions of Politics and Religion are only for some and should be limited to the 75 meter Phone band.  

I don't mind the religious nets, but the political stuff attracts jammers and troublemakers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015