The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:04:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passing a copper grounding strap through the floor  (Read 6970 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: June 09, 2005, 01:17:53 PM »

A trick I use to get a wide copper strap through the floor, while avoiding cutting a slot, is as follows:

I form a row of holes, whose length is the same as the width of the strap, consisting of 8 to 12 holes drilled through the floor, each just barely large enough to pass a #12 or #10 wire.  I cut the strap at the point where I want to pass it through the floor.  I then solder across  the end of the strap a corresponding number of pieces of wire, long enough to feed through the holes and extend down a couple of inches below.  Once the wires are inserted into the holes,  from the underneath side of the floor, I solder the rest of the copper strap to the lengths of wires poking through the floor, and continue on my way.

This does less damage to the floor than sawing a slot, and it is MUCH easier to do, using a simple electric drill. If the strap feedthrough is ever removed, it is a simple matter to plug the small holes with wood filler.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015