The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:53:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andy - WA2CDL SK  (Read 4698 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: May 05, 2023, 05:27:27 PM »

Just learned this a few minutes ago. 

Andy - WA2CDL was a regular attendee at NEAR-Fest each year.  He volunteered his time to check out VHF/UHF rigs for folks at the Fester.  I met Andy at NEAR-Fest many years ago and he always attended the AM Dinner on Friday nights.   He was quite the boat anchor collector and worked in the city of NY doing RF communication work. I know he was at the most recent NEAR-Fest a few weeks ago.

Here is his obit:

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/en-ca/obituaries/hewlett-ny/andrew-kirschenbaum-11278708

Sadly, Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1NB

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 08:26:47 PM »

Sad news indeed. He was a regular with the morning group on 3705 but had not been nearly as frequent over the last year.
KD1SH

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 09:33:42 PM »

Wow - I am completely stunned by this. I just saw him last Friday at Nearfest, and he was on the AM Carrier net on 3835 just this past Sunday morning.
I know - no religious posts, but please forgive me and consider this a non-sectarian, non-preaching reference; we've lost so many lately, it seems.

"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all."

Ecclesiastes 9:11

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 11:46:15 PM »

What a very sad shock! I was just chatting with him a week ago today at NEAR-Fest. RIP Andy.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
kb2nqn

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 07:55:54 AM »

Im extremely saddened by the news of Andys passing.

I knew Andy for 30 + years living not far from him on Long Island.
Besides amateur radio, we bowled in leagues for 5 years on the same team. He really enjoyed that.

He was a guy who would give you the shirt off his back to help you with any radio malady and was known for his service to the LIMARC club maintaining its repeaters and for his radio repair knowledge.
When my kids were little, he used to give the Devil Dogs as a treat...thus the kids would call him " Andy Devil Dog"...

Im glad to say he was my friend.
Ill miss him terribly.

Steve- KB2NQN
K2FW

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 09:46:04 AM »

Im extremely saddened by the news of Andys passing.

I knew Andy for 30 + years living not far from him on Long Island.
Besides amateur radio, we bowled in leagues for 5 years on the same team. He really enjoyed that.

He was a guy who would give you the shirt off his back to help you with any radio malady and was known for his service to the LIMARC club maintaining its repeaters and for his radio repair knowledge.
When my kids were little, he used to give the Devil Dogs as a treat...thus the kids would call him " Andy Devil Dog"...

Im glad to say he was my friend.
Ill miss him terribly.

Steve- KB2NQN

Very well said Steve.
I wish I had known Andy as well as Steve, NQN did.  I did meet Andy once at a get together we had for the AM Carrier Net.  As Steve said, Andy was a terrific & very kind hearted-person.  We frequently spoke on the phone & of course Andy was a regular on the AM Carrier Net as well as the fairly new Vintage SSB Net.
Andy will be greatly missed.
Pray for his family & close friends as they grieve for their loss of a wonderful person. 
KD1SH

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 01:11:28 PM »

The first time I met Andy was at the Sussex Hamfest a few years ago. He took out his cell-phone and showed me, with great pride, the huge collection of radios in his shop. Some of them were his, and some were rigs he'd repaired for others. He was glowing with pride for both and so excited to tell me all about them.
  Many of us are enthusiastic about our hobby; some are practically fanatical about it, but it would be hard to find anyone who radiated more joyful enthusiasm than Andy.

wa2pjp

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 02:00:36 PM »

I was shocked when I got the news about Andy. We were at the AM diner and at Nearfest. I have know Andy almost 30 years now and he was a regular at the LIMARC hamfest with his test setup and many others. I was helping him years ago with an ATV repeater for the club which he was really excited about. He was a really good guy and would always try to help someone when needed. He will be truly missed by the AM group.

RIP Andy, keep the filaments on.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 03:32:16 PM »

“There are three deaths. The first is when the body ceases to function. The second is when the body is consigned to the grave. The third is that moment, sometime in the future, when your name is spoken for the last time.”

― David M. Eagleman,  Forty Tales from the Afterlives

May Andy/WA2CDL be remembered and spoken of for a very long time.   Completing a full life here on Earth is difficult and a big deal when accomplished.   Congrats, Andy.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 08:21:07 AM »

What a shocker.  I loved talking with Andy - he always had a fascinating take on things and we shot the shit for hours at NEARfest and on the air.  I last saw him at the fall NEARFest and he had some big plans for his towers. 

Truly a superbly talented guy that everyone loved.  I'll sure miss his wisdom and wit.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2023, 06:47:00 AM »

Very sad news, indeed!  Andy was at NEAR-Fest with us less than a week before he died.  I stopped and chatted with him several times as I made my rounds.  He never missed a NEAR-Fest.  Andy was probably the most enthusiastic radio amateur I know. He was really into radio 100%.  There will be another empty table at NEAR-Fest in the fall.  May he rest in peace,
MisterMike, W1RC
PS: Notice the Drake on his well-appointed workbench.

* IMG_8279.jpeg (85.29 KB, 640x480 - viewed 221 times.)

* IMG_8333.jpeg (226.79 KB, 1080x810 - viewed 213 times.)

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 07:50:59 PM »

Folks:

So sad to hear of Andy's passing. I met him once, at the last spring (2022) Near-Fest. He had an NC300 he bought for short money. He was excited about the purchase and was looking forward to bench testing it.

See photo.

RIP Andy.

Dan
W1DAN

* PXL_20220429_152334290 (1).jpg (951.01 KB, 3099x2624 - viewed 211 times.)
NE1S

"The Smallest Minority is the Individual"

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 08:29:03 PM »

Here's a photo from the AM dinner at the most recent NEARFest. This event was less than a week before Andy left us. If you look carefully you can see Andy's face behind and between George N2LJO and Mark KA2QFX. I was sitting at the same table as Andy, but I'm not in the photo 'cuz I was taking it.

* IMG_0115.jpg (163.72 KB, 720x540 - viewed 218 times.)
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 05:59:23 AM »

We miss you Andy.  Sorry that I couldn’t mKe it to Nearfest this spring to see you one last time.  It was an honor to sare your company on the air, on the phone, and in person over the years.  He

Here’s a picture of And at spring
Nearfest last year along with two of the morning 3705 gang, Kevin, K2XAM and Bear,
WB2GCR:

* 4FBE0280-FEB4-40C4-8344-D3095E0741B1.jpeg (3244.37 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 187 times.)

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 03:24:59 PM »

Chris,

Great picture of Andy!

Joe

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2023, 07:05:00 PM »

Just like that legendary plumber who had leaky faucets, it seemed like Andy could not
manage to fix his own radios, and get on the air with some powah!!!

Before Covid hit, Andy said to me on the air and on the landline that he WOULD fix one of
his Valiants and get it on the air!!

_-_-bear

* WA2CDL ANDY.JPG (195.49 KB, 1480x1110 - viewed 148 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2023, 10:19:04 PM »

"Before Covid hit, Andy said to me on the air and on the landline that he WOULD fix one of
his Valiants and get it on the air!!"

Bear,

Sounds like many of us who would rather fix, tinker, design and build stuff rather than talk and operate.

Look at his well appointed workshop (motivated to work on stuff) .....  compared to his lack of drive to get even one personal rig on the air.

He definately enjoyed working on and fixing stuff more.  His offers to test stuff for guys at the flea markets is just another form.  A little bit of that in us all.... Wink

T

* Andy's Passion.jpeg (226.79 KB, 1080x810 - viewed 187 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 08:48:11 AM »

That is the most impressive collection of test equipment I have ever seen, including a classic Heathkit VTVM.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2023, 10:16:44 AM »

K1JJ said:
Bear,

Sounds like many of us who would rather fix, tinker, design and build stuff rather than talk and operate.

How true, Tom. I put a side a lot of projects for my retirement and now that is here. I no sooner finishing one project when I'm prepping the operating table for the next patient. It is indeed a labor of love. I'm sure I talked to Andy at some time in the past. I will have to refer to my index card file, (that thing you would use prior to computers ruining the world!).  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KD1SH

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 11:39:24 AM »

Now that I'm retired, I've officially entered the "greatest number of projects started but not finished" contest.

K1JJ said:
Bear,

How true, Tom. I put a side a lot of projects for my retirement and now that is here. I no sooner finishing one project when I'm prepping the operating table for the next patient. It is indeed a labor of love. I'm sure I talked to Andy at some time in the past. I will have to refer to my index card file, (that thing you would use prior to computers ruining the world!).  Wink

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 02:24:05 PM »

Now that I'm retired, I've officially entered the "greatest number of projects started but not finished" contest.

Bill, try as you may, you will have great difficulty catching up with me.  In addition to all the unfinished projects I started before retirement in 2006, I have many more started since retirement with almost none finished. 

The number exceeds what I can itemize, even with the help of a supercomputer.  Every fest I attend instigates more unfinished projects.  Potentially winning the contest of having the most unfinished projects is an accomplishment of which I am certainly NOT proud.  Maybe this year, maybe next year........  I suppose maybe a lack of either Round Tuits or StickTuItiveness. 
Yes, Andy's lab and bench is a work of art.  He will certainly be missed.  RIP Andy

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015