The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:44:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Status of Brent, W1IA  (Read 6032 times)
WA1HZK

« on: January 31, 2023, 12:21:43 PM »

Re, Brent Desautel, W1IA. Still fighting as of 1/31/2023

My friend, no best friend that whenever I had any fun since the late 70's, Brent was involved in. Brent came down with ALS about this time last year. People typically last around 18 months with this affliction. We built the largest 6 meter FM network in New England. You could drive from Portland to CT. and still talk. We built some big rigs, lots of antennas and made beer. Our record was making 45 gallons in one day! We built the first full color TV Repeater that was on Saddleback Mountain in Deerfield NH. We did a lot of radio and washed it down. Our beer, wine and Mead was responsible for our children.

Brent is still at the Nursing home where he had to go while his home was upgraded. He was sure he would not last the night last Sunday but his wife Colleen stayed with him and he woke up asking for a root beer.
Their house remodeling is finished. The Refrigerator & dishwasher were due in yesterday then the inspection should happen this week.
For those that don't know, their home had to be totally gutted and made wheel chair accessible. The VA did an outstanding job for him.
The issue was that should have been finished in September, contractors and building supplies.
Yesterday it was discovered that he was exposed to COVID. He was not yet tested and if he gets that, they will not let him come home.
Report just came in, No COVID.
Today Colleen has an appointment with the "Visiting Angels" outfit. She's going to need a shitload of help if Brent is allowed to go home.
He's very weak and no longer able to lift his arm to operate the wheel chair so his arm has to be placed for him to still use his fingers on the controls.
He can't eat ant regular food but lives on the super Ensure product only. He can still drink.
He just wants to make it home so he can go out on the deck, watch his birds, usually a flock of very tame turkeys and other critters that know they are safe with him.
With that, he will let go and be with Jesus. I happen to believe that totally.
Believe me, there are things worse than heart attacks and strokes.

* Tina 20th.JPG (54.81 KB, 640x428 - viewed 323 times.)

* Dinner 5-12-22.jpeg (52.24 KB, 320x240 - viewed 334 times.)

* ea12cc01_948295.jpg (932.21 KB, 2032x1354 - viewed 326 times.)

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 02:41:18 PM »

Thanks very much for the update, Keith. Nicole and I are praying for Brent and Colleen.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 03:15:13 PM »

Thanks for the update…Brent’s in my prayers all the time.  Glad to hear he’s going to be able to get back home soon.  I don’t know if has been able to listen to us on 75 meters, I often will give a shout out to him just in case he is.

Chris, AJ1G Stonington CT

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 07:09:31 PM »

Thanks Clarkie for the update…………
MisterMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 05:12:31 PM »

Thank you, Keith. Please give Brent my regards when next you speak with him. I wanted to make the event at NEARFest for him but was dealing with my mom's declining health, getting her moved and all the rest. I have a lot of great memories of Fun with 'Tina as well, from wild Friday nights on 75m to operating the AM special event station at Hopkinton (while he was simultaneously trying to babysit Carl/'EYY)To story telling and more. One of the funniest that might bring a grin to him involved sitting around near Wayne/SSJ's table one evening making up 'interesting' phonetics for people's callsigns. He came up with one for Joe/'PJP that had everyone in stitches, followed by Tom/'JJ adding yet another that had Joe in a state of panic.

Let him know that, as bad as it gets, we still think of the good and hope he can, too.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
n1bnc

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 07:54:08 PM »

Kindly give him my regards as well.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 03:29:26 PM »

Tell Brent I am thinking of him.
Bill, KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 04:35:03 PM »

Here's a strapping Brent and the boys a few years back at the Deerfield NearFest.  At the time he was excited about building his new linear amp using a pair of Russian tubes.

Pictured left to right are:  Tom / K1JJ (Tom Vu) ,      Steve /  K4HX  (The HuzMan)       Joe / WA2PJP,      Brent W1IA  (Brentina)

Let's hope Brent gets in some quality time at his newly modified house.

T

* THE_MISCREANTS.jpg (121.68 KB, 800x600 - viewed 319 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 09:00:17 PM »

Keith:

Thank you for the update. Tell Brentina we miss him, and have enjoyed his radio exploits. He sure went all in for the hobby and did a great job!

Dan
W1DAN
W1XAW

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 09:00:49 PM »

Worked Brent on 40 M CW on Christmas Day 2021.    We were both very surprised to find the other on cw, I have been awol on the window for a long time.    He really is a great guy and I feel bad for his travails.   We spoke later and he told me about the whole situation and all I can say is he has faced it with incredible bravery.   
WA1HZK

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 08:49:03 PM »

Brent is back home. This is weekend #2 and he seems to like company. I spent the afternoon over there today. If your there Brent quiets down and listens to you. That lets Colleen get things done. I watched her build a Lasagna today and went home and made a batch myself!

Don't expect much. He can't move at all and cannot really communicate. He's under Hospice care and Colleen is getting quite a lot of help. This was not the retirement they envisioned.

If you can pray for him, pray this ends. This is the worst I have ever seen and I have seen a lot.

Keith

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2023, 08:04:35 PM »

Keith,

You truly are a Godsend to Brent and Colleen.  I have fond memories of our barbecue together at Brent's back porch deck last summer.  We are praying for Brent, Colleen, you and the staff at Brent's QTH.

Tom and Nicole

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WA1HZK

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 05:09:43 PM »

It is with great sadness that I must tell you guys that Brent Desautel is a silent key. Brent passed away this afternoon at 3:15PM. He was in severe pain over the last year with ALS and the disease finally took him down. Brent reconnected with Jesus and is no longer in pain. Yesterday I asked my group at the local Methodist Church to pray that the lord takes him home and ends this. It is done. That's the first time I have had to make that request. I have made several requests by prayer in my life that I would consider the big ones God has answered those requests every time.
A lot of special memories. Anytime I did anything fun or stupid, Brent was there. There are only a few of us left.
Keith Clark
WA1HZK

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 06:39:42 PM »

Keith:

Thank you for the sad news. While Brent is no longer in pain, we will miss his strapping signal and his projects. I hope he enjoys no QRM and great signals in the sky.

God bless and RIP Brentina!

Dan
W1DAN
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2023, 10:24:17 PM »

Brent was a Hero of Deerfield.  We mourn his loss.  The 2022 NEAR-Fests, XXXIII in April and XXXIV in October will be dedicated to his memory.
Brent’s XYL, Colleen, sent me his picture of him at NEAR-Fest I doing his thing.  It is how I shall always remember him.  

NEAR-Fest tribute to W1IA:
http://forum.near-fest.com/index.php?topic=1642.msg3777#msg3777

* 6D9D2AF4-7245-4A1E-882E-30D26F6F2046.jpeg (104.28 KB, 640x430 - viewed 264 times.)

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 08:56:35 PM »

Brent is a good man and God will be good to him. I don't think Brent had a mean bone in his body. I never heard him get upset with anyone. I remember a situation where a certain person who had a lot of problems with alcohol wasn't in the best of moods and was somewhat critical of just about everyone. Brent saw that as a cry for help and drove from his home in NH to upstate NY to help the guy out. Yes, he would be there for you! Well that person is also an SK but while he was with us, Brent made quite a few trips from way over there in NH to upstate NY to build a new antenna system for him among other things.

Rest in peace Brent

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 05:45:57 PM »

Brent was a “problem solver”..  An engineer at heart, he would analyze and research with humility about all he “learned” to construct some very interesting projects.
I sent him an e-mail not long ago, and his response ended with :

“I miss all my friends on the air. 
God Bless
Brent “

R.I.P. OM

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 05:27:42 PM »

Colleen send these wonderful photos that were taken at K1TWF’s Halloween party about twenty-five years ago. This is when it started…
The next year it was Brentilda………

* FEE1F2FF-8CF5-4C74-B8EE-7C5B0CD51CB6.jpeg (87.95 KB, 450x640 - viewed 228 times.)

* 3E0C132F-877F-4C25-A24E-04C557D2BF70.jpeg (84.32 KB, 445x640 - viewed 229 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015