The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:58:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The AM Rally Seeks AM Ambassadors This Weekend (Feb 3-5 2023)  (Read 2142 times)
N1BCG

« on: January 30, 2023, 08:41:41 AM »

The AM Rally is this coming weekend (Feb 3-5) and I've heard a number of ops anticipating another fun event. I was told yesterday about one who, while primarily into VHF and UHF DXing, is "very excited to try AM HF". I'm sure there are many who will be exploring the original voice mode, possibly for the first time, and some may sound like Reginald Fessenden's first AM transmission in 1906. Others will be on a Flex, Anan, K7DYY, or one of the newer "big three" rigs that have tremendous potential for decent audio.

We put out press releases for print, online magazines, podcasts, blogs, and vlogs to get the word out and maintain the website at AMRally.com to provide reference information about the event, yet what leaves a lasting impression is the experience of operating AM for the first time, or for the first time in a long time. That's where we need your help.

AMfone is a great place to find experienced ops who can make the 7th AM Rally operating event a success and I'm hoping that you'll help us populate the bands with good signals and helpful guidance for those who need it as FB ambassadors of AM.

We only get one chance at making a first impression.
N1BCG

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 09:03:57 AM »

AND... For those curious about the Gates transmitter that operated as W1AW for the past several years, it's at its new home at the Vintage Radio and Communications Museum of Connecticut (VRCMCT) and will be back on the air for this year's AM Rally!

From Bob Allison WB1GCM:

"Our museum is looking forward to the 2023 AM Rally! W1VCM is capable of AM operation on 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 and 6 meters. We can operate at least two, perhaps three AM station positions simultaneously.

We have been trying out a brand new Telefunken M-81 microphone (not seen in photo). Did you know that Telefunken is right across the CT river from the museum? The name was bought and a new Telefunken company was created, several years ago. They keep a low profile, but are successful. Some of their new model microphones use old microphone manufacturing methods and circuits that match the Telefunken originals. This includes the use pencil type vacuum tubes!

A few of the museum volunteers and me went to their factory, to pick up a large donation from the owner, a few months ago. Telefunken has a full size, acoustically designed, large studio that some famous rock-n-rollers hang out and record in. Any rock band can roll their full size band bus right into the building, out of sight, away from any prying eyes. No one knows what goes on in the place. Their hi-fi amplifier setup costs well into six figures.

I asked the Telefunken business manager if Telefunken would donate a M-81 hand vocal microphone, a green colored one, to our ham radio club. I explained the Gates transmitter and its potential reach.... AND they gave us one! I normally wouldn't be so bold, but I thought it good publicity for them if we mention the mic on the air. I personally used it with the recording of four programs for broadcast on-air, with great satisfaction.

We are having much fun at the museum. We have freedom to do almost anything there with radios; antique and new. Larry Bearse, WA1LGQ, is our hero at W1VCM. He keeps repairing, restoring, and building up W1VCM, creating a most impressive display of working vintage radios, much to the delight of museum patrons. We have a lot of talent in our club, experienced with both old and new technology. Our museum justifies the old, but presents the new; all as teaching tools that are examples of the advancement of communication technology.

The AM Rally....GO FOR IT!

All the best, from the Vintage Radio and Communications Museum of CT."

Bob Allison
WB1GCM
VRCMCT ARC President

* 1bcg 2022-1.jpg (132.22 KB, 1080x810 - viewed 178 times.)
KD1SH

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 09:44:25 AM »

Very cool stuff - thanks, Clark!

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 11:25:40 AM »

AND... For those curious about the Gates transmitter that operated as W1AW for the past several years, it's at its new home at the Vintage Radio and Communications Museum of Connecticut (VRCMCT) and will be back on the air for this year's AM Rally!

From Bob Allison WB1GCM:

"Our museum is looking forward to the 2023 AM Rally! W1VCM is capable of AM operation on 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 and 6 meters. We can operate at least two, perhaps three AM station positions simultaneously.

We have been trying out a brand new Telefunken M-81 microphone (not seen in photo). Did you know that Telefunken is right across the CT river from the museum? The name was bought and a new Telefunken company was created, several years ago. They keep a low profile, but are successful. Some of their new model microphones use old microphone manufacturing methods and circuits that match the Telefunken originals. This includes the use pencil type vacuum tubes!

A few of the museum volunteers and me went to their factory, to pick up a large donation from the owner, a few months ago. Telefunken has a full size, acoustically designed, large studio that some famous rock-n-rollers hang out and record in. Any rock band can roll their full size band bus right into the building, out of sight, away from any prying eyes. No one knows what goes on in the place. Their hi-fi amplifier setup costs well into six figures.

I asked the Telefunken business manager if Telefunken would donate a M-81 hand vocal microphone, a green colored one, to our ham radio club. I explained the Gates transmitter and its potential reach.... AND they gave us one! I normally wouldn't be so bold, but I thought it good publicity for them if we mention the mic on the air. I personally used it with the recording of four programs for broadcast on-air, with great satisfaction.

We are having much fun at the museum. We have freedom to do almost anything there with radios; antique and new. Larry Bearse, WA1LGQ, is our hero at W1VCM. He keeps repairing, restoring, and building up W1VCM, creating a most impressive display of working vintage radios, much to the delight of museum patrons. We have a lot of talent in our club, experienced with both old and new technology. Our museum justifies the old, but presents the new; all as teaching tools that are examples of the advancement of communication technology.

The AM Rally....GO FOR IT!

All the best, from the Vintage Radio and Communications Museum of CT."

Bob Allison
WB1GCM
VRCMCT ARC President

Fantastic news Bob.  Glad things are going well.

Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
N1BCG

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 10:24:37 AM »

The Vintage Radio and Communications Museum of Connecticut (VRCMCT) will be operating various transmitters including a Collins 32V3, DX-60, and Gates BC1T, as W1VCM on multiple bands this weekend for the AM Rally:

80 meters, 3.885, 3973 and perhaps, 3.705 MHz. *
40 meters, 7.285, 7.290, or other.
20 meters, 14.285 + or -
15 meters, 21.425, + or -\
10 meters, 29.0 to 29.1 MHz.

* The Gates BC-1T repurposed broadcast transmitter will be operating on 3.885, or 3.873, depending on activity.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 06:53:45 AM »

I'll try to get on, piss weak and all (100 watt carrier).....

But my wife flies in today and I she hasn't been on island for a year, so no promises she will let me play radio)....

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 05:07:36 PM »

Shane i sure hope you got on..just worked Matt W5LL on 29.033 AM a few minutes ago..beam is frozen pointed east..so with a fraction of ur power being used..if I can do it..well you know the rest..gud luk to all 73 de DAVE WB1EAD

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015