The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:02:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stone Mountain Hamfest, Lawrenceville, GA  (Read 1447 times)
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« on: November 05, 2022, 09:27:45 PM »

Stone Mountain fest this year was excellent.  Weather warm and free of precipitation.  The turnout was much better than it has been since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.  Most of the tailgate spaces outside were full, and the inside flea and vendor areas were at capacity.

Lots of vintage and AM gear displayed at move-it-out prices, not display and take home again prices!  I picked up a nice HP spectrum analyzer with all four plug-ins, for just a c-note.  Best pound-per-dollar transaction on HP gear that I have ever experienced.  Also found a mint HP3400 AC meter, and bread-slicers to finish my Class-E PDM build for 75 and 40.  I visited Max Gain Systems and picked up a couple NOS VU meters, then on to The Wireman for some black line to erect some new antennas.  

Last month the tree zapper came and cleaned up the undesirables that have been winning the battles with my antennas.  Only cleaned out half of my wallet!  Now the antennas will win the war, with trees to support separate, full-size 20, 40, 75, and 160 dipoles at approximately 75 feet elevation.  Thanks are due my next-door neighbor for offering his tree for the 160 support.  How often does that happen?  It was a good day, and a great month!

On a side note, the fellow who sold the spectrum analyzer turned out to be an old acquaintance.  He enlisted in the USAF the same day I did, but from a different state.  We started basic training at Lackland AFB the same day, in the same squadron, and had some common memories of the antics we pulled during those 8 weeks! Small World Indeed!

If anyone has photos of the fest, please feel free to append them to this thread.

* 20221105_170321.jpg (2698.87 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 155 times.)

* 20221105_170333.jpg (2399.32 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 152 times.)

* 20221105_170430.jpg (2243.92 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 149 times.)

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 12:13:33 PM »

I put about 200 photos of vintage gear and parts here -
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DaZ2eVFKvk912Gd56
It was a pretty good turnout.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 12:43:04 PM »

Rick, if you need parts, manuals, or if you want the whole kaboodle, I have 3 141Ts with 2 IF's and 2 different RF's sections. I'm currently working on the tracking generator. I can give you advice but 'Mike from Kokomo' is probably the expert in all things HP!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 12:51:51 PM »

Rick, if you need parts, manuals, or if you want the whole kaboodle, I have 3 141Ts with 2 IF's and 2 different RF's sections. I'm currently working on the tracking generator. I can give you advice but 'Mike from Kokomo' is probably the expert in all things HP!
Thanks for the offer, Mike; I will keep it in mind.   I am told everything works fine on my new acquisition, but I have yet to thoroughly test everything.  Raking leaves is the priority today, bummer!

Nick, a fine lot of photos you posted.   Thanks so much, I knew you would be taking many.  I hope we get to meet at the next fest which we both attend.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015