The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:16:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ma Bigelow, the Pie Meister, RIP  (Read 5555 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: November 01, 2022, 10:35:52 AM »

Howdy to the group - been a while since I did much posting or much of anything online here or elsewhere. Have tried to keep up but haven't been terribly successful.

Aside from the usual family craziness with a 9 yr old daughter and wifey, the last several years have involved many trips north to help out and otherwise deal with my aging mother as she slowly declined. On October 7th she'd had enough and left us, peacefully in her sleep with a morphine chaser.

I know many folks on here knew mom either from visiting NEAR-Fest with dad or, more likely, from the many pre-fest cookouts and other gatherings at my place over the years while still living in VT. Mom was always great about helping out with the food, making salads, etc. On one occasion after I moved to NC and was attending the fall NEAR-Fest with Joe/PJP, she cooked us a complete Thanksgiving dinner because she knew I wouldn't be back there in November.

She had a pretty salty vocabulary and wasn't one to mince words. Things like 'politically-correct' or 'woke' didn't exist in her world. Common Sense did. I credit her with my overall attitude toward life and others, and why I don't "suffer fools gladly".

Probably the best thing mom was know for with the radio gang was her homemade pies. She always made several for the cookouts, though on more than one occasion they didn't all survive to see that day. Having a house full of AMers days before saw to that. Apple, blueberry, pumpkin, and cherry were some of the flavors.

I think the funniest event had to have been at the 'fest when mom, dad, and my older brother showed up to visit. Mom brought along what had become the AMers favorite - black raspberry pie. Steve/K4HX enjoyed these the most. After sharing with a few folks and not wanting to deal with having to figure out where to keep a pie, I suggested we'd take the pie back to the AM Corral and give it out to passers by. "No we won't" was Steve's reply. He tucked the pie under his arm like a mama bird protecting her hatchling, and was *GONE*. Needless to say, mom got her empty pie dish back before they headed home to VT.

Mom was 85, smoked like a chimney, and lived on her own until I was finally able to get her into a new facility in August. She wasn't thrilled to be there and managed to fall and break her hip after just 7 days. That was the beginning of the end. She had been in excellent health for her age but was 'ready to go', having said on numerous occasions that she didn't know why she was still here, nothing to do, nowhere to go, just taking up space etc etc. She's moved on to a better place now with dad (I warned him she was coming) leaving many great memories for those left behind.

So now I'm playing catch up in my personal life. Along with the many trips north over the last few years (over 6K miles just since June) were the two shoulder surgeries and plenty of other fun stuff to set me back a bit. Hoping to get the station completed with the big rigs back online this winter. The Griefkit Injuns are on 40m but they're only 100 watts and we all know that "life is too short to be pissweak".

And - my sincere apologies to folks who I may not have gotten back to in a timely manner. If I owe anyone parts, manual copies (Eric?), or anything else that has escaped the gray matter, please let me know. Still coming back up to speed but making progress.

Looking forward to future 'festers, the AM Dinner at Johnson's and more airtime. It's been too long.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 11:35:03 AM »

Sorry to hear about her demise, but it sounds like she did it with style. Cool

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 02:52:44 PM »

Sorry to hear that, Todd. Mine passed the same way last May. They probably would have hit it off real gooder, from the sound of it.

Blessings to you and the family. I'll be listening.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 03:04:05 PM »

I didn't know her but moms are forever missed.  I'm glad you shared with us..John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 12:37:09 AM »

My sincerest condolences, Todd.  It sounds as if your sainted Mother lived on her own terms until she was finally called Home.  We should all be so fortunate to have such a full, long life.  May she rest in blessed Peace.  ❤✝❤

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 11:01:02 AM »

She was a great lady, made outstanding pies, and raised a bunch of great kids.  So sorry she's passed, Todd.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 11:29:12 AM »

My condolences to you and your family Todd! Embarrassed

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KD1SH

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 03:34:04 PM »

I've always considered myself blessed to have had a living mom well into my 60's, though she's gone now; passing peacefully with grace and acceptance at 91 in 2019. Moms are special; losing them hurts. If your mom is still around, don't miss any opportunity to give her a hug and tell her you love her. If she's gone, keep her alive in your memory and value everything she taught you. Condolences -

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 05:27:21 AM »

Here, here...  To Moms that are fighters!

Sounds like your mom was a good lady.  God speed to her, and I'm sure your dad is happy to have her back.

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 07:12:18 PM »

Moms are saints.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k5mo

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 07:43:17 PM »

Hi Todd,

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. I know from dealing with mine, (98 !) that it's not easy trying to know what the right things to do is for them.  There seems to be no good decisions, just less bad ones. Mine's in California, which makes trips from NC difficult and spendy.

I just scored a plate transformer for my Injun, as I think the last time I had it on, the smoke came out of the original one. 

John
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2022, 09:14:34 PM »

Todd,

I am sorry to hear about your mom, and her sudden change for the worse after moving her. There are many similar stories, some of which are tragic. This is very hard for those wanting the best of care for an aging parent. Despite the best of intentions, the outcome is uncertain. I hope you find peace, and remember what your mother taught you over the years. Your 9 year old daughter likely fondly remembers Grandma....Keep those memories alive by reminding her of Grandma..

Jim
Wd5JKO
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 12:02:40 PM »

Hi Todd,

Sorry to hear about your mom.  It's a heavy cross we all have to bear eventually.  Who knows how or when.
May she rest in peace.

Hope to hear you back on the air soon, OM.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 11:43:08 AM »

Hi Todd,
  Sorry to hear about your mom. Hang in there brother.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 01:08:07 PM »

Hi Todd,

I 'm sorry to hear the news OM. Please accept my condolences

I hope all are well.

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNØ54
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2022, 05:26:59 PM »

Bummer, Todd...extending my condolences as well.

WWL
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2022, 03:55:07 AM »

Me too, old friend.  Moms rule!  They are benevolent dictators too.

73,  MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2022, 04:46:40 PM »

Very sorry to hear about your mom Todd! I would have liked to have met her. From what you have said, you could not have gotten a better mom! Mom's are very special as we all know and we only get one! I wish I would have met her.

Sound like your fighting your own battles as well? I would say to you to stay away from the ice this winter but maybe you don't get any freezes down your way? Broke my left wrist this last January, it's not fun!

Take Care

Terry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2023, 09:20:51 PM »

I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words. Mainly wanted to give folks a heads up that we won't be getting anymore delicious pies at NEARFest. Yes, mom's are great and irreplaceable, but she's at peace now and I am as well. Still working through all the legal stuff here (executor-ship became official early January) but at least it's going the other way now - less to take care of instead of more piling up.

Making headway with the station when there's a break in the action. More on that later.

I hope everyone has a safe, happy, and prosperous 2023. Not easy, I know, but it still beats the alternative!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015