The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:33:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LST-325 Buzzards Bay Coastwatch  (Read 6885 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: June 04, 2005, 12:22:14 PM »

Many thanks to Perry, W8AU and the rest of the LST-325 radio gang for a great day of radio yesterday as the ship made its way up Buzzards Bay. Great comms were maintained by our "coastwatchers", equipped with WWII vintage military field sets operating from the beaches on the east and west sides of the bay, and from the radio rooms of various ships at Battleship Cove. Gave us a real appreciation of the challenges of setting up and operating low power portable field sets on a beachead. As I said to Rob, K2WI as we humped or gear out to the beach at West Island, Fairhaven, "At least we don't have to do this while being shelled or shot at!". Rob's establishing Morse light comms in the late afternoon haze with the ship using a little 75 watt signal lamp at West Island was no less amazing then us coordinating same with Perry's BC-611 walky talkie on the signal bridge to my GRC-9 and 15 foot whip on the sand on 3885 kc at West Island.   That little 611's antenna and flea power was still coming though LIMA CHARLIE (well at least CHARLIE) at a range of 6 miles, even after we lost a visual contact on the ship! Solid (and very strapping) voice comms amongst all the beach stations equipped with TBX (K2WI),GRC9 (AJ1G), and TCS (KA1GON) sets with small whips and radials on the sand were maintained throughout the day. KW1I's BC1306 on his radio truck's whip at West Island parking lot was equally strong. Perry was solid from many miles out all the way up to their mooring at Mass Maritime Academy on the 325's TCS. Interesting how strapping we were locally to each other even though we were generally unheard by others outside the area on 3885, and not bothered by them to any great extent.

Apparently Irb was a little preturbed though by the operation.  Heard him complaining on the air to himself this morning that he was hearing unmodulated and unidentified carriers on "his" frequency this moring from "ghostwatchers"!

73, Chris, AJ1G, Stonington, CT.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 09:06:27 AM »

All you guys with the portable stations were being heard very well here in East Hartford. Could not hear the BC-611 though, not even a carrier. Was there any kind of ground system used with the beach stations? Also could copy the cw on 500Kc no problem...........Larry
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 09:48:43 AM »

Rob and I were running 15 ' ground mounted field whips with wire counterpoises.  Rob used 4 nominal 30 foot wires laid on the sand for his TBX.  I used 3 wires - two that were 110% 1/4 wave lengths for 80  meters and one cut for 40 meters.  We were set up at the top of the beach near the brush line and fanned all our counterpoise radials torward the water.  Lucklily there were virtually no other visitors there to trip themselves up on the radials!  
Great that you heard us in East Hartford.  The local signals were extremely  strong amongst the coastwatcher stations and the ship.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 12:17:40 PM »

Chris,
XYL reported a horshoe crab love in yesterday morning along the beach.
lotta humpin and egg laying. I wonder if you noticed over your way. gfz
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 03:20:30 PM »

LST 325 came into Gloucester Harbor this afternoon. I think they will be tied up at the State fish pier. Tours on Tuesday and Wednesday June 21 and 22.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 03:25:52 PM »

My Dad was supposed to drive one of those babies and deliver Marines to the Japan beach party. Thank You Oppie!
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 03:27:52 PM »

And what a party he musta had!

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 07:02:38 PM »

Correction: She is docked at the USCG station on Harbor Loop. Looks good.

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 08:34:24 PM »

Just had a qso with Norm W1GYY/ WW2LST onboard the LST 325. He was running a Navy TCS@ 15 watts into a longwire on 3871 kcs.. I was the only one able on frequency to copy because of the qrm from N.E. P.A. I plan on touring the ship Tuesday .

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 11:49:00 PM »

Perry, W8AU. had thier TDE and RAL up for the Old Military Radio CW Net last night on 3570.  Very strapping using the long wire from the bridge to the bow.  Great picuture of the ship in Gloucester!

Chris, AJ1G Stonington, CT

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015