The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:45:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAARP  (Read 3357 times)
KA3EKH

« on: October 18, 2022, 08:30:23 AM »

looks like they will be running the HAARP array the next week or ten days, yet another way to complain about the bad propagation conditions!

https://www.gi.alaska.edu/news/haarp-begin-largest-set-experiments-its-new-observatory

KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 10:08:12 AM »

"Pilots in the area are asked to check for flight restrictions"   No kidding! I have flown right by the HAARP  facility in Gulkana during minimum VFR condx, following the highway to Glennallen.  There is an aircraft sensor(s) that supposedly shuts the transmitters down if an aircraft gets too close.  The facility is right next to the highway......All those antennas point straight up.    Well at least they are investigating STEVE.......It will be interesting to find out if they can moon bounce to New Mexico. 
KA3EKH

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 11:26:17 AM »

I remember back when they were building that thing and they had something like 18  Continental Electronics 10-kW Short Wave transmitters and the talk at that time was they planned to build it out to something like 180 transmitters for the full project. Don’t know if that ever happened.
All kind of weird problems from what I have been told, I do not know if they still have the older transmitters with 4CX35000 tubes or are all newer transmitters with 4CV100,000 tetrodes but think tube life and cost was a big issue, that along with the efficiency of the transmitters being the local power grid did not support it and they had to run a diesel generator plant during operation. wonder if they ever got that all sorted out? or if you still need ten thousand gallons of diesel to conduct research?

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 11:56:00 AM »

Might as well get your research done now.  If the permafrost gives way due to warming, there will be no support for all those antennas. 

It is a phased array, so can be 'tilted' from horizon to vertical via remote controlled phasors.

The antenna matching units were the early problem (with flameouts), so a retired Russian Woodpecker engineer came on board and successfully redesigned the networks.

Yes, the project was completed years ago with the full complement of Continental Electronics linear amplifiers (PP 4CX10,000's) designed by a fellow ham, W4YHD Steve

Still runs on 4 of 5 big Diesel gensets, where the grid provides housekeeping and small demands.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KA3EKH

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 02:12:01 PM »

Years ago, talked with a couple of the engineers about the antenna matching units while at the Dayton Hamvention, think at that time I told them that I thought pressurizing the housings for the networks with dry air was a stupid idea. Pump them up with Nitrogen, or at least that’s what I though would help. Think that was the last time I talked with them, don’t think they liked what I had to say.

Diesel is key to a lot of research, although it collapsed on its own and that finally killed it the Arecibo Radio telescope lost a significant amount of local electricity after Hurricane Maria back in 2017 and until its failure in 2020 if you wanted to do research there you had to provide ten thousand gallons of diesel!

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 12:24:19 PM »

We have our own power generation plant at my work.

2.5MW Cat
1.75MW Cat
800kw Cat
And a 600 and something Cat.

Our backup generators all run on diesel, but our prime power generator runs on natural gas.  Even cheaper.

Even with the cost of diesel, it's cheaper to own, run and maintain our generator plant than utility power.

Years ago, old man Hess (Hess Oil) built the largest refinery (at the time) in the western hemisphere on this island.  He offered to give electricity to every person on the island.as a way to say thanks for the r allowing Construction of the refinery. They have some HUGE turbines in their plant.

Bet everyone wishes the government would have OKed that now!

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
KL7OF

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 09:05:55 AM »

https://hamsci.org/article/amateurs-invited-participate-largest-set-haarp-experiments-its-new-observatory

times and freqs listed for HAARP transmissions..
W1GFH

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 09:43:56 AM »

https://ghostsintheairglow.space/transmission/october-2022

and
https://vimeo.com/217930350

* EXNRBa2UYAAgEPg.jpg (112.02 KB, 667x500 - viewed 173 times.)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 10:03:10 AM »

Is this the wide band signal that is centered at 29.600, taking yp almost 200 khz?
Alternating two tine signal
S9+10 here in NJ
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 11:17:24 AM »

Don't think so, they are radiating nothing that high in Hz.

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KL7OF

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2022, 09:16:33 AM »

So..... Does anyone have a HAARP reception report...??  I have not been able to tell if I heard any sig from them...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015