The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:56:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoring EFJ Desk KW. Suggestions on first steps?  (Read 1781 times)
af6im
Contributing

AF6IM jumping from a C54G, 1999 Quincy Illinois.

« on: September 29, 2022, 08:38:32 PM »

Got a nice Desk KW complete, appears all original, but hasn’t operated in over 20 years. Reportedly working ok when retired. Any suggestions on where to start, what to test and known pitfalls for Desk KW newbies? Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Mark
AF6IM
K9MB

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 08:39:35 PM »

Nobody has bit on this, so I will suggest that if you want suggestions, take pictures and if you can remove covers, do that and take more pictures.
I know very little about this transmitter, but I do not doubt that there are some on here who might know something about it and might make some suggestions.

I will say, since you are a newbie, do not plug the thing in and remember that the voltages inside can kill you and you do not even need to touch high voltage- it can come for you.
Every old geezer who has worked with high voltage, including this one fears and respects high voltage and a lot of us keep one hand in our back pocket even if we get close to it. Never assume that a cap is discharged- short it with a long probe to ground to be certain after it has time to discharge and power disconnected.
Sorry if I underestimated your experience. I can not know it and there are no small mistakes in a kw tube transmitter.
73, Mike

https://bama.edebris.com/download/johnson/deskkw/vik-kw.pdf
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 06:26:02 PM »

Got a nice Desk KW complete, appears all original, but hasn’t operated in over 20 years. Reportedly working ok when retired. Any suggestions on where to start, what to test and known pitfalls for Desk KW newbies? Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Mark
AF6IM

Well, this is certainly not a plug and play unit. It is 65 years old.

What prior experience do you have with HV electronic circuits and AM circuits in particular?

Don't assume:

1) Any of the tubes are operational, have them tested or have good replacements available; even if the filaments light, it doesn't necessarily mean they are up to the task,

2) Prior owners have NOT made changes or revisions to any of the circuits,

3) cabling and wiring have good insulation,

4) relays are clean and transformers are functional,

5) Bleeder resistors are operational; always use a shorting stick.

See page 14 of this Brochure:

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/Surplus_Radioamateur/EF_Johnson_catalog_957.pdf

The Modulator may need an external audio Amplifier to drive it.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 11:32:31 AM »

AC0B said:
The Modulator may need an external audio Amplifier to drive it.
Memory serves me that was originally designed to be driven with the Ranger including using it as a speech amp to the 810 modulators.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Detroit47

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 01:33:19 PM »

It is safe to assume all electrolytic caps are bad. If not bad leaky. Most if not all carbon resistors will have drifted up in value. As in all vintage equipment every component needs to be checked. It may run as is but never will be optimal.

Johnathan N8QPC
K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 03:24:54 PM »

My Desk KW had HV wiring that had hardened and cracked - needed replacement.
Also be aware that this thing has the chassis tied to AC line neutral. So, for example, a 120vac relay is activated by grounding one lead while the other goes to one of the 240vac hot lines.
That's why there is only one Key line from the Ranger to the Desk - the manual says if it doesn't key, then turn the Ranger AC plug over....
---Things were different back then!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015