The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:07:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Decent Chinese meters  (Read 1589 times)
W1ITT

« on: September 19, 2022, 12:26:03 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171229243585

I wanted some matching meters to move an amplifier project along and found these on Ebay.  They are heavy, well made and look good, especially for the money.  If you go to "store" they have various ranges available and there are some in a round format for those who prefer.   It took around three weeks to get them.
73 de Norm W1ITT
K9MB

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 12:57:06 PM »

I wanted some matching meters to move an amplifier project along and found these on Ebay.  They are heavy, well made and look good, especially for the money.  If you go to "store" they have various ranges available and there are some in a round format for those who prefer.   It took around three weeks to get them.
73 de Norm W1ITT

Hi Norm,
I agree that these are an amazing bargain.
I bought a bunch of these, and they look great. I have not checked linearity, but that is of little importance anyway. The movements are very smooth.
Also have not checked damping, so overshoot might occur, but that can be limited to some extent by r-c circuits or whatever.

Maybe the only downside is the 2 month wait, but if one plans ahead, no problem. They usually show the mounting information and cutouts, so metalwork can be done ahead of time. 73, Mike
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 12:59:21 PM »

73 de Norm W1ITT
I have to second Norm's motion to go with these meters.  I have used over ten of the rectangular panel meters, and well over a dozen of the smaller round "vintage style" meters.  At first I was somewhat uncertain, as the price was so low.  But I was pleasantly surprised; the quality is good, and the calibration is consistently accurate across the entire scale.  The needle is sharp and narrow, making it easy to accurately read the voltage or current value.  

Most of mine are the "HUA" brand, same as pictured in Norm's link.  I purchased quite a few via AliExpress, at an even lower price.   The shipping seems exorbitant at first, but when you add the meter prices plus shipping, per meter, it is an outstanding bargain.

Attached are a couple photos where I used them for my projects, on the K7DYY modulation monitor and a custom utility bench supply build from an old HP 608C carcass and other junk-box parts.  I found that online drawings and specifications made it very easy to punch and drill the required panel holes.

* K7DYY_meters.jpg (2018.38 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 175 times.)

* W8KHK_BenchSupply.jpg (2826.69 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 175 times.)

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 09:38:13 PM »

Did I fail to mention there are hundreds of good, US-made panel meters here.  Cool

Many matching sets of Westons, Westinghouse, a few others.

No 'modern' plastic types, plenty of Bakelite round and square.

None of them are from factory ham gear, or custom for existing equipment.

I'm not in it for the $, shoot me a PM if interested.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KD1SH

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 01:57:25 PM »

I just received a couple of round "CHHUA" meters from Amazon - one 200 milliamp DC and one 3 amp DC - for my 8877 amp restoration project. Make no mistake, these are not Simpsons or Triplets - they have a distinct Toys-R-Us feel to them - but I was impressed with the accuracy when testing them with my bench supply and my most trusted Fluke DMM. I'd do all my metering in the B- return, though: putting 4KV on one of these would give me the willies.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015