The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:44:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What you leave behind  (Read 1260 times)
KD1SH

« on: September 21, 2022, 06:49:59 PM »

With apologies for borrowing the title of the final episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, all of us hams will inevitably exit this mortal tank-coil someday, leaving another ham - hopefully - with a lot of our stuff, much of it home-brew. Given that, I think it's prudent to take some steps to insure that the howls and curses of mortal discomfiture don't echo in our ears even into the afterlife.
   This nifty old amplifier I recently acquired (http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=45414.0) had absolutely no labeling or identification on any of the panel meters, indicator lamps, switches or connectors: bad enough in itself, but in going through and making my own schematic for the thing, I find that the original builder used zip-cord for all of the low voltage control, switching, filament primary, and much of the metering. Bundles of the stuff - all the same color of course - disappear into harnesses that snake their way up to the front panel, and since it's mostly tied to very low resistance items - relay coils; transformer primaries; ammeters - it's nearly impossible to trace it via continuity tester, since it invariably all reads as tied together. No quick disconnects or spade lugs, either.
   So, it's down to hours of prying through bundles of mono-colored wire, pulling and tugging and pushing to see what moves, skinned knuckles and cut fingers; not to mention a few choice words calling into question the parentage of the builder and certain items of his anatomy.
   To paraphrase Russell Crowe in Gladiator: "Death smiles at us all. All we can do is smile back, and keep zip-cord out of our radio projects."

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 08:50:59 PM »

Well said, OM.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 12:16:31 AM »

I fel your pain on having all the same wire size and color. My HB was done in all black solid 14GA house wire. It was a labor of love.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015