The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:43:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HamXposition  (Read 1878 times)
KD1SH

« on: August 25, 2022, 06:21:20 PM »

The Northeast HamXposition, at Marlborough (formerly Boxboro, now "Moxboro") is this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Looks like late-day thunder-boomers, maybe, on Friday, but otherwise the weekend weather looks good. Anyone going?
  I'll be there on Friday, just browsing but not selling, but I plan on selling some excess stuff on Saturday: DX-100, B&W 5100B, some Heath and Clegg six-meter gear; all for "just want it gone" prices. I badly need room to do winter radio projects, so some of this stuff may have a date with a dumpster if it doesn't find a home this weekend.
   Obviously I won't be looking to buy anything big this time around - just parts and such - but I'm still looking forward to a good couple of days at "Moxboro". Hope to see some AM'ers there.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
KD1SH

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 05:33:23 PM »

Moxboro 2022 got off to slow start. Maybe some were scared off by the threat of afternoon storms. It wasn't an idle threat: drove through about a half-hour of drown-pours on the way home - 20 mph with flashers on  - and it's still storming down here in CT. I'll bet the 'fester got a good drenching after I left.
  Only bought a handful of panel meters.
  Saw nearfest icons Mr. Mike and Paul. No other familiar AM'ers in sight, but I was only there for a couple of hours. Tomorrow's another day.

KD1SH

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 06:35:41 PM »

Well, that's it for Moxboro for me this year. Two days is enough; not going back tomorrow. Only bought some panel meters and a vacuum variable cap.
Sold everything I brought up there, which was great; now I've got a lot more room in the workshop.
Took a beating on a lot of it, but just wanted it gone:
B&W 5100B: $50
DX-100: $50.
Heath Seneca: $50
I-177 Tube Tester: $50
Just to name a few. It was a good load. Friend says I'm crazy to let stuff go so cheap, but I'm considering it a lesson in the perils of over-acquiring. I certainly could have gotten more for all that stuff, but probably only after many hamfest round-trips, loading and unloading it, before it finally went for the price I wanted.

W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 05:43:33 PM »

Good for you!! Here in CA prices are down and the heavier and clunkier the cheaper. It's a buyer's market, best to get rid of what you know you will never need or get to. I think prices will go down more
KD1SH

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 07:49:58 PM »

The funny thing was that the guys who bought my B&W 5100B and DX-100 weren't devoted AM'ers, or old-timers either, just regular hams who wanted to try their hand at restoring boat anchors. I guess that's a  good thing; maybe in moving these items along I've planted a seed that will grow.
   For my part, as I've progressed further into the AM aspect of the hobby, I've found myself drifting away from restoring and operating commercially made low wattage/pound ratio rigs, and more toward home-brewing. Wonderful old gear - those Johnsons, Heathkits, B&W's - but it all takes up so much space.
   It is indeed a buyer's market - several of those rigs I sold for $50 cost me $200 a couple of years ago, but I was a motivated seller with absolutely no interest in bringing that stuff back home and putting it back on the shelf - rinse and repeat - for the next hamfest, and the next, and the next...

Good for you!! Here in CA prices are down and the heavier and clunkier the cheaper. It's a buyer's market, best to get rid of what you know you will never need or get to. I think prices will go down more

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015