The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:29:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise and vacation  (Read 1420 times)
K8DI
Contributing

« on: August 08, 2022, 10:27:11 AM »

I’ve been away from the shack for the last couple months, work, life, kids, etc.  My station has too much noise.  So much that it’s not fun. A quiet day on 40m is S5. A normal day is S7-9. A noisy day is S9+20. It’s worse on 80m…I literally cannot hear that Chinese or Russian radar thing over the local noise.

I’m on vacation on Beaver Island, in the middle of Lake Michigan. Last evening I strung 30’ of wire from one end of a picnic table to a branch I could reach in a tree.  Using the FT991A, noise on 40m was S0-1. Easy copy of the end of a QSO on 7290 at S5, I think one call was W9WOO, but I’m not sure. I didn’t throw out a call as the band was fading as the sun set.  It’s raining today but I’ll be back out there tomorrow afternoon and the rest of the week.

I need to move out of town, it seems….

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 10:31:59 AM »

Tracking down and going to the trouble of eliminating the sources of RF noise might be less work and a lot cheaper than moving.

First, clean house with a portable RX search.

Even those by others like power lines and switching supplies can be fixed with diplomacy or making the FCC aware.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 02:29:03 PM »

Tracking down and going to the trouble of eliminating the sources of RF noise might be less work and a lot cheaper than moving.

First, clean house with a portable RX search.

Even those by others like power lines and switching supplies can be fixed with diplomacy or making the FCC aware.

73DG

Years ago I used to be able to “clean house” with a sniffer or by selectively opening breakers, getting noise down to S1-2 (or S3 with my main computer on). That’s no longer the case; main breaker off and the radios on battery give the same huge noise levels.  One neighbor runs a pot growing operation, the street department replaced all the lights with LED, and the only time it’s quiet is during a power failure.

We want to move anyway. It’s just more incentive….

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 02:33:41 PM »

Well, in that case...

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands